Black deposits on pistons

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Jan 2015 20:29 #657950 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:Black deposits on pistons
Lets see what they look like when they're clean. I do have to caution about valve grinding on these heads. If too much meat is taken away, the valves must be "tipped" or too much the head is trashed. Your right about having someone that does motorcycle heads do the work, not the local auto repair guy down the street.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2015 02:49 - 07 Jan 2015 02:51 #657952 by kawi810
Replied by kawi810 on topic Re:Black deposits on pistons
swest wrote The seller on eBay is oemcycles kibblewhite valve spring kit 40-1007, $63.96, free shipping.
Got mine in 3 days. Gave 5 star revue.
You won't regret it.
Steve. these springs are for high lift cams 40-1007 Valve Spring Only Kits 0.500" Valve Lift OK

original owner of a 1984 gpz 750
1985 turbo 750 stock, being restored.
1984 gpz 750 with 810 cc wiesco's megacycle cams(471-10) 34 mm flatslides v&h pipe ported head dyna ignition. bottom end, crank case from turbo 750 and sprockets.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2015 02:51 by kawi810.

More
07 Jan 2015 03:03 #657953 by kawi810
Replied by kawi810 on topic Re:Black deposits on pistons
the point is i would not even use those springs with my MEGACYCLE .410" lift cams .i would send the head out and have the SEATS and VALVES RECUT .YOU CAN NOT LAP CONCENTRICITY in to a valve seat when they are that worn.

original owner of a 1984 gpz 750
1985 turbo 750 stock, being restored.
1984 gpz 750 with 810 cc wiesco's megacycle cams(471-10) 34 mm flatslides v&h pipe ported head dyna ignition. bottom end, crank case from turbo 750 and sprockets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jan 2015 06:04 #657957 by SWest
I went to their site and looked up the kits. I sent an inquiry about whether 40-1007 is suitable for mild drop in cams. I saw the various other kits. I was under the impression this kit was for stock configurations. I also left a phone message about this. We'll see what they say.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jan 2015 06:54 #657961 by SWest
Did a little checking at Z1. The APE kit is .460" MAX lift and the Kibblewhite is .425". Out of stock.
I went back to eBay and looked at the springs for my application. All the springs listed are the 40-1007. Only one said direct OEM replacement.
I should hear from Kibblewhite some time today.
I'll report back my findings.
Steve

More
07 Jan 2015 08:09 #657965 by KzChop82
Replied by KzChop82 on topic Re:Black deposits on pistons
I thought I mentioned this earlier- but perhaps I didn't. My apologies.
It should be mentioned that this particular engine has (+/- 3000miles) about 15,000 miles on it.
I purchased the engine with just over 550 miles on the odometer.

Not sure if this changes any opinions or suggestions, but thought it was good food for thought.

I will post additional pictures once the head is spotless. Of coarse, I will make sure to focus on the areas in question.

Clinton, NJ
Custom chopper, 1982 KZ 1000 M2 CSR engine, K&N Pod Filters

PICTURES AND GOPRO VIDEOS!! :
www.dropbox.com/sh/jipz3l8nhzr4jge/AABbm...OC3sqlhCSLxH5Fa?dl=0

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
07 Jan 2015 08:58 #657968 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Re:Black deposits on pistons
That looks to be inaccurate, as the motor looks to have seen many more miles. Speedo/ odo may have been replaced on that bike do to a failure or damage.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
07 Jan 2015 09:05 #657970 by KzChop82
Replied by KzChop82 on topic Re:Black deposits on pistons
While I am not a forensics expert- when I bought the bike it looked to be practically brand new. Everything from the seat to the plastics to the full tread on the tires.
The man who purchased the bike originally was retired and had some extra cash. He wanted his friends to be able to ride with him- but they did not own motorcycles. He bought this bike for his friend to ride on occasion, but for most of the time it just sat. The man took ill and past away. I bought the bike from his son during an estate sale.

Clinton, NJ
Custom chopper, 1982 KZ 1000 M2 CSR engine, K&N Pod Filters

PICTURES AND GOPRO VIDEOS!! :
www.dropbox.com/sh/jipz3l8nhzr4jge/AABbm...OC3sqlhCSLxH5Fa?dl=0

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jan 2015 10:09 #657977 by SWest
It appears to what is being missed here is the fact the valves were being drenched in oil due to old and leaking valve seals. The carbon build up is from the oil as will be evidenced by cleaning. They don't appear to be burned as suggested by others. Mine looked the same way. I put in new valves hoping to gain adjustment range but lost some due to the carbon build up. The suggestion the valve seats are too wide is erroneous. That is normal in a used engine. I will with hold judgement until the valves are cleaned and checked for wear and suggest others do the same.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jan 2015 10:29 #657978 by SWest
I just got off the phone with a Kibblewhite engineer. He told me the 40-1007 springs will not cause premature wear and the titanium retainers are suggested but not necessary for drop in cams. The seating pressure is 90 LBS up from 50 LBS. He said I won't have any problems with them They will send me a statement to this effect to share with others.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jan 2015 12:03 #657985 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Black deposits on pistons

bluej58 wrote: In my opinion, the biggest problem with using the original springs that haven't been in operation for thirty years is that some of them have been in a relaxed state all that time while others have been in a compressed state.
replace them +the rings and while you are at it ,any rubber/plastic parts like dampers , rollers, chain guide, tension-er and o-ring.
Anyways that is what I am doing :side:

JD

One of the few that actually get it. Yes the springs are old and compressed all the time. When under load, they're compressed even more. Spring steel has a memory. They will get weak over time. They should be replaced after so many miles or years.
Steve

More
07 Jan 2015 12:17 #657987 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Black deposits on pistons

swest wrote:

bluej58 wrote: In my opinion, the biggest problem with using the original springs that haven't been in operation for thirty years is that some of them have been in a relaxed state all that time while others have been in a compressed state.
replace them +the rings and while you are at it ,any rubber/plastic parts like dampers , rollers, chain guide, tension-er and o-ring.
Anyways that is what I am doing :side:

JD

One of the few that actually get it. Yes the springs are old and compressed all the time. When under load, they're compressed even more. Spring steel has a memory. They will get weak over time. They should be replaced after so many miles or years.
Steve

Did you measure the springs? Or are you assuming the springs compressed? If you measured them what was the measurement and were they out of spec or still within the service limit?

No way I'd use a spring that has more seat pressure than stock, unless you are using aftermarket high lift cams.