turbo time....

More
16 Oct 2012 03:00 #554139 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic turbo time....
Here's a few of the motor...

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2012 03:28 #554142 by racer54

This is an awesome KZ turbo build by Dick Speed in Chicago. I haven't seen it personally but my cousin has. Supposed to be capable of running high 7's but I want to see it first before I believe it. From looks though it's one over the top bike...

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110
Attachments:

More
16 Oct 2012 03:32 #554143 by racer54
Come on Timebomb...where's those pictures at? lol Your pro-mod is one of my favorite styles of dragbikes. Love that body style. Can't wait to see those pictures...

More
16 Oct 2012 08:20 - 16 Oct 2012 08:22 #554146 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic turbo time....
If not already done, would double-check size of pic being inserted in the outgoing message box.
And using jpeg pic format.

Attachment picpostnewsite912x671.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Oct 2012 08:22 by Patton.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
16 Oct 2012 09:19 #554154 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic turbo time....

Be carefull what you ask for . Here is what happened with too much boost and too much nitrous.
BUT DO ENJOY

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Oct 2012 09:46 #554160 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic turbo time....

lushbaugh wrote: just a hundred shot? lmao. thanks for your input. whats your setup?

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
16 Oct 2012 09:47 #554161 by wireman

racer54 wrote:

1977 KZ turbo...old ATP turbo system, 1200cc, stretched 6" over, .340 cams, HSR42 carb....here are a couple pictures...

Attachment daffy_jerking_2012-10-16.gif not found

B) B) B) B) B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
16 Oct 2012 10:07 #554166 by sflaz1
Replied by sflaz1 on topic turbo time....
I was considering putting a "J" model top end on my 73 turbo. Ape told me that I would not realize the upgrade unless I was runing a big block 1,300 motor or bigger, which I didn't want to do. If you do run the J model head you need to run J model pistons as the combustion chambers are considerably larger and the compression would be too low with early model pistons. I did install a set of .340 lift mild profile turbo cams and picked up about 10 hp. I posted a dyno chart here showing 149 hp at 8,500 rpms @ 18 lbs of boost.

Bought my 1973 Z1 in late 1978. Turbo charged 1982.

• wireman
  • User
More
16 Oct 2012 10:15 #554168 by wireman

sflaz1 wrote: I was considering putting a "J" model top end on my 73 turbo. Ape told me that I would not realize the upgrade unless I was runing a big block 1,300 motor or bigger, which I didn't want to do. If you do run the J model head you need to run J model pistons as the combustion chambers are considerably larger and the compression would be too low with early model pistons. I did install a set of .340 lift mild profile turbo cams and picked up about 10 hp. I posted a dyno chart here showing 149 hp at 8,500 rpms @ 18 lbs of boost.

The reason I suggest the head swap is strictly financial in his situation it saves him from having to buy another set of pistons.
Although having ridden a couple differant turbo motors with 10.5:1 compression pistons without a spacer or head swap I must admit it was a very enlightening experiance to say the least,a shit load of power at really low boost! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :woohoo:

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
16 Oct 2012 14:45 #554202 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic turbo time....
that bike is awesome. atp still around?

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
16 Oct 2012 14:56 #554204 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic turbo time....
ATP ceased to exist in the early 80's - I'm not sure of the date, but they are LONG gone...

Mr Turbo is about the only company making an 'off the shelf' setup for these older Z1/KZ motors.

There were a few different companies back in the 70's and 80's making turbo kits - RC Engineering, Blake Enterprises, and ATP were the main ones - Blake didn't seem to last long. RC Eng vanished and evolved into Vance & Hines (they both worked for Russ Collins back in the 70's and early 80's).

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
16 Oct 2012 17:22 #554218 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic turbo time....
I like the compression with turbo or spray but you better be on your tuneup!!!! It's easier with injection because you can get the added fuel you need easier than a good carb with bowl extenders and big needle and seat setup.

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman