KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
01 Oct 2010 06:14 - 05 Oct 2010 20:26 #403056 by kz1k
KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT was created by kz1k
ok guys. i have been pondering on what to get done on my kz1000-A. my motto has always been, "go big or go home!" i will be sending my motor in pieces to pit stop proformance for a rebuild. originally i was just going to send out my head, and get a valve job, but the more research i do, the more i want to do the "bottom end". im not sure where to start really, or even what my options are. $ is no object as i have all the time in the world. i dont want to just "get my bike running". i want it prime and ready to go, knowing my parts in the motor will last years to come.
where do i start? do i send out the "bottom end' of the motor? (pistons/crank) i want to do this RIGHT! your opinions are important to me. this thread will be updated with pics and progress of before and after pics...thanks

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?
Last edit: 05 Oct 2010 20:26 by kz1k.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2010 06:35 #403058 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic PSP AND KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
since money is no object, send me your motor as a core and i'll build you a 1170.
or send it to ape or fast by gast.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
01 Oct 2010 06:39 - 01 Oct 2010 06:41 #403060 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic PSP AND KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
ok i got a hold of PSP. heres is what i was thinking......

1 PSP-MTC-K1075 piston kit, complete with (4) forged aluminum pistons with 10.5:1 compression using stock camshafts, (4) sets of 72XC rings, (4) hard chromed wrist pins, (8) teflon buttons sized for 72mm bore, (1) one piece fiber Cometic head gasket & (1) base gasket.
1 Boring
1 Refinish cylinder with baked on high temp silver paint
1 Cam chain guide
1 Press sleeves to reseat
1 Resurface cylinder

1 Valve Job with guides and seal
1 HD valve springs
1 Refinish head with baked on high temperature silver paint
1 Tach drive seal
1 Tach drive o'ring
1 Clearance for high lift cams
1 Resurface head
4 Remove and replace bottom exhaust studs for head surfacing

no shipping cost.....drop off, and pick up!

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

Last edit: 01 Oct 2010 06:41 by kz1k.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
01 Oct 2010 07:18 - 01 Oct 2010 07:23 #403066 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic PSP AND KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
Stock cam shafts! Booooooo. :P With those pistons, put in a performance valve spring kit, and say a .395 lift web-cam. Yeah :laugh:

Dont pay them to paint it, just have it media blasted. Check out Larrys work: Cavanaugh Racing

Do it, just DO IT.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 01 Oct 2010 07:23 by TeK9iNe.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
01 Oct 2010 07:22 #403067 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic PSP AND KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
If you are getting all that work done to the top end you might want to get the bottom looked at, I found that out the hard way.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
01 Oct 2010 07:25 #403068 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic PSP AND KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
9am53 wrote:

If you are getting all that work done to the top end you might want to get the bottom looked at, I found that out the hard way.

Oh yeah, deffinately have the whole engine spec'd out, else you could be wastin alot of $$$

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
01 Oct 2010 07:35 #403070 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic PSP AND KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
01 Oct 2010 07:58 - 01 Oct 2010 07:59 #403075 by kz1k
ill probably bring the bottom end up there with me for them to look over. hopefully ill be making that trip within the next few weeks.....:woohoo:

1978 KZ1000A2

Last edit: 01 Oct 2010 07:59 by kz1k.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
01 Oct 2010 08:46 - 01 Oct 2010 08:46 #403087 by kz1k
i think i have a buyer for my yami fzr 600. no title, broken ignition, no farrings, needs battery, does not run. $600. fingers crossed.

1978 KZ1000A2

Last edit: 01 Oct 2010 08:46 by kz1k.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
01 Oct 2010 09:43 #403101 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic PSP AND KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
Hell, money's not an object? Just get yerself one of them there 1500 kits and a Vortex head from APE. www.kzzone.com/kits.html That'll get you somewhere fast.

But seriously...any improvement in the top end should be accompanied by a review of what's below it. Are your gears in good shape? Is you oil pump good? Is your crank in good condition? If you're going with more power you may want to get the pin welded on the crank. Are your bearing shells in good shape?

Without verifying all this you could just be creating a bigger bomb.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
01 Oct 2010 10:20 - 01 Oct 2010 10:24 #403111 by kz1k
i feel ya DD. this is exactly why i started this thread. i asked psp and they replied.......

As far as the bottom end goes, the only thing that I would do if it was my motor, is replace the cam chain.
The cam chain is always going to stretch.
The more it stretches, the further retarded in timing your camshafts get.
The cam chains that I have are heavy duty Tsubaki ($44.25).
The heavy duty chain is thicker than the stock chain and is also stronger.
It will stretch slower than a new stock chain.
If you like to do the occasional “trophy run”, then I would also suggest heavy duty valve springs ($52.95).
This makes the motor very forgiving in that you can have a bad day and miss a shift at high RPM and not damage the motor.
You need to tell me when you are coming so that I can be sure to be around.
I do not keep anything even resembling regular hours.
I can supply bottom end assembly/disassembly instructions if you need them.

Joe Hooper

1978 KZ1000A2

Last edit: 01 Oct 2010 10:24 by kz1k.

More
01 Oct 2010 10:36 #403124 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic PSP AND KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
The reason i put fred flinstone up there is because youre putting me and a lot of other people to sleep with this.
You post the problems youre having with the bike,but when people tell you what to check you just ignore them and keep asking same question!
You give your bike to some guy you met on the internet to work on,then you panic because you think he stole your bike.
You get the bike back,we try and talk you through what to check and once again you ignore what people are saying.
You tear the head off your motor and we tell you how to check the valves for leaks and clean up the parts to save yourself some money by doing the grunt work,then you say its going to cost too much to do the head.
Then we find you a couple cheap used motors but you have to start insulting people by saying how do you know its not just some junk motor somebody threw together after i told you it came from a running bike and i saw the motor personally when it was here in omaha before he decided to sell it!
Then you find a loose sleeve in your block and i tell you it isnt a problem but once again you dont listen.
Then you find a 900 motor for $300.00 but you dont have the money for it,then you find what you think is a kaw sportbike which turns out to be a yamaha for $100 that dont run that you want us to find you parts for and to tell you how to fix it!
Now youre back to wanting to build a hotrod motor out of your origional motor and this time around price is no object,except you dont seem to realize the rest of the bike brakes/suspension..... is in the same shape as the motor! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments: