Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1973 Z1 rebuild 08 Jul 2022 14:36 #870073

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Are you going to do anything about the screw holes in the edge of the rims?  I ask because I have an old 3.5x18 DID rim that has the same holes, It's off an old CB750 drag bike I bought years ago...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1973 Z1 rebuild 10 Jul 2022 20:54 #870174

• blackozvet
  • blackozvet's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 79

Are you going to do anything about the screw holes in the edge of the rims?  I ask because I have an old 3.5x18 DID rim that has the same holes, It's off an old CB750 drag bike I bought years ago...

I will probably just put some screws back in, but something a bit better looking, maybe a zinc or stainless button head ?
1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki

1973 Z1 rebuild 11 Jul 2022 15:08 #870211

• 750 R1
  • User

I will probably just put some screws back in, but something a bit better looking, maybe a zinc or stainless button head ?

I was going to have mine tigged up, I did think about some black allen head bolts trimmed down on the inside, but I think I'll have them welded up ..

1973 Z1 rebuild 12 Jul 2022 02:12 #870224

• blackozvet
  • User

I was going to have mine tigged up, I did think about some black allen head bolts trimmed down on the inside, but I think I'll have them welded up ..

if the hole is welded up it would probably have a round mark, its unlikely the weld would be exactly the same color as the rim.
it could still look ok with a hand polish.
1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki

1973 Z1 rebuild 12 Jul 2022 02:22 #870225

• blackozvet
  • User
I had a bit of an experiment with the Acme engine stand, didnt quite work out so I went back to the old setup with some extra spacing to spin the engine around 360 degrees.
Got the engine upside down and got the sump off, and found all those little bits of missing cam chain wheel !

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki
Attachments:

1973 Z1 rebuild 15 Jul 2022 01:47 #870385

• blackozvet
  • User
Been busy with the thinners and brake cleaner on the short motor cleaning things up in preparation for the paint.
Found some VHT heatproof black satin after numerous attempts, so I bought 3 cans.  
Got some more bits, a Liska camchain tensioner that has a steel wheel (instead of the plastic one that ends up in the oil sump), oil filter and a flasher can for the indicators.

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki
Attachments:

1973 Z1 rebuild 16 Jul 2022 16:30 #870475

• 750 R1
  • User

Been busy with the thinners and brake cleaner on the short motor cleaning things up in preparation for the paint.
Found some VHT heatproof black satin after numerous attempts, so I bought 3 cans.  
Got some more bits, a Liska camchain tensioner that has a steel wheel (instead of the plastic one that ends up in the oil sump), oil filter and a flasher can for the indicators.

I had the same trouble trying to get VHT paint in Brisbane, Finally got some recently, after more than a year !!

1973 Z1 rebuild 19 Jul 2022 00:25 #870601

• blackozvet
  • User
Cleaning the engine and masking up is quite time consuming but its done now.
The short motor is painted with 2 coats of VHT black satin.
Had to crack out the heater and heat gun to keep things warm coz its winter here in Australia !

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki
Attachments:

1973 Z1 rebuild 19 Jul 2022 02:56 #870605

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1771
Looks good, it's all progress 
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackozvet

1973 Z1 rebuild 20 Jul 2022 19:48 #870762

• blackozvet
  • User
while I was painting the engine, I decided that it I might as well do the front caliper while I was in the painting mood.  Out of sync I know !
This setup is a 4 piston Nissin caliper (Suzuki I think ?) with custom made adaptor plates to fit the original fork tube and a custom made disc rotor.
It was all stripped down and pistons, seals cleaned up.  Originally it was natural alloy with gold zinc bolts and hard anodized bracket.
I have painted everything in satin black and used new mushroom head and cap head bolts in black to suit, to give it a different look.
Checked the operation of the caliper with the EBC pads in place and using compressed air.

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki
Attachments:

1973 Z1 rebuild 22 Jul 2022 20:54 #870880

• blackozvet
  • User
The de chroming is finally done, some of the stuff is staying for re chroming, some of the stuff has been dropped off at the vapour blaster (pressure glass bead/water) and the rest comes home.
Then to separate the remaining into stuff to be powder coated and go with the frame and whats left is the alloy pieces (mainly all the engine covers) to be hand polished.  After cleaning the drum brake cover it still has chrome on parts so will need to go back.
The de chroming process leaves a black/grey residue on the parts which needs to be buffed off.  Below is a pic with the 2 sprocket housings half buffed, which needs to be done before they can be wet/dry polished and then hand polished.
You can see the dynamo cover in the background that has been buffed out.  I already have another polished one with the DOHC background in black paint, both are 73 stamped pieces so I will decide later which one to use.

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki
Attachments:

1973 Z1 rebuild 23 Jul 2022 04:09 #870885

• hardrockminer
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
Don't like the clutch cover mod.  It will allow grease to escape and may attract wasps!!
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.