As I slowly get ready to assemble things I'm finding a few issues. Of course I did not take enough photos, at least of the things I need to see now and this bike had a lot of stuff that was not "as built" so I'm having trouble with the battery box/ regulator/center harness/starter solenoid area. I've got most of it figured out with the help of Marsden and Brookes books and the parts and shop manuals but it would be great to get a few photos of an early Z1 in this area. Mine was built in 10/72. I'd like to see, if I can, exactly how the little wiring tab is mounted. Piece 58 on page 41 of the parts manual. Also I don't think I've got the start solenoid bracket properly sorted out. I have new rubber bushings for it but they don't seem right, do they have metal collars in them?
Any photos in this area will be greatly appreciated.
How about the start solenoid? I assume there is rubber grommets under the fender washers? Are there metal bushings in the grommets if they are there or is the solenoid just bolted down metal to metal?
Thank you for the photo
I made a blast cabinet from the cardboard box the compressor came in. It was very crude but for a first attempt it did what I wanted it to do and that is limit (somewhat) the loss and spread of glass beads. I started with a little hopper gun which was terrible. It worked but it was too bulky for the box. My siphon gun arrived which worked much better. I had installed gloves in the box but they were way too hard to use, I abandoned them. I learned from this that had I purchased a blast cabinet It would have been too small, it takes a pretty good size box to wrestle the engine parts around. Good learning experience. I achieved what I feel is a paintable surface which is what a 73 needs. Had it been a 74 I would have needed more aggressive media to get a nice clean bare alloy surface. The head was by far the hardest part with the deep fins. The glass gets everywhere. Just for fun I’m going to try some baking soda to compare. The compressor was fine, I had to let it catch up every 10 minutes or so but I also needed a break to to reposition and scoop up beads. My filter drier seems to work well. Had I wanted a bigger compressor the price really goes up between 30 gallons and 60 gallons, and I don’t have room for one. All in all, a sweaty, hard work success. Now for the intensive clean up. I used about 15 pounds of fine glass some of which I’ll strain and recover.
Compressor is 115v. I'm thinking of converting it to 240v and making a long extension of heavy wire to the nearest plug I have which is a 30 amp twist lock I run my table saw from. It worked ok for the job though, I only had to wait a little bit.
I must have used $25 of cloth tape!
I've used many rolls of painters tape on this project. More to come in preparation for painting,
So I’m checking the valves out. The guides and valves were done in 2009 and I’m sure there wasn’t much wear since then. The exhaust seem fine but the intakes seem loose. I just ordered a small bore gauge to get an accurate measurement but in the mean time I used the dial indicator method in the shop manual. The exhausts come out at the top of the service limit using that method. I’m not too sure that’s accurate but they also feel loose. I’m going to coat the stems with oil and see how they feel then.
They blue checked fine but I will still do a light lapping to clean the seats and faces up a bit.
I have new seals for it but I will wait to take accurate measurements of clearance.