Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1973 Z1 Maui 16 Aug 2021 07:44 #853894

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583
MauiZ1 wrote:
"The front hub was a treat. Kawasaki does not leave access to the back of the outer races so you have to break out a sharp edged hard tool (screwdriver) to pound on the spacer with. Then, after the spacer is out you have to clean up the mess."
If the hub is separated from the rim, it's much gentler to use a press.  Hammering can cause the soft metal of the spacer to mushroom, effectively shortening it.  We looked in the parts manual & there is no length spec'd for the spacer for reference.

About the head nuts:
Manufacturing tolerances caused the studs to bottom in the short nuts in rare cases.  The taller nuts solved that.

If you still have the head gaskets you removed, an estimate of clearance can be had by temoprarily assembling the top end using a new base gasket and the old head gaskets, then just snugging the head with regular hex nuts.  Measure the height of the exposed studs with a good caliper, then measure the depth of the nuts.  Don't forget there will be the copper washers under the nuts if you don't use them for evaluation during this process.  That should result in a reasonable estimation of how close the nuts would be to bottoming.  If too close, studs can be shortened a few thou by grinding without significantly compromising the number of engaged threads.  It won't take much.  Wer've only had to trim one stud among the 64 we'vedealt with on earlier Z1's & short nuts.  A giveaway that a nut is bottoming on a stud while being torqued (we use a dial wrench) is that torque will spike very suddenly when bottoming occurrs.  We've heard of doubling up on the copper washers to prevent bottoming but don't support that solution.

When we reserructed The Wounded Z, we had to reuse the short nuts, as they are very difficult to find at anything like a reasonable price in decent condition.  We had to have them rechromed because they were too badly rusted to be acceptable.  They installed fine on the original studs, with an average of .025" or so to spare.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1973 Z1 Maui 16 Aug 2021 16:29 #853911

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Did you mention earlier that the head was decked?  

One possible solution is to use the taller top hats on the inner head studs where they can't be seen and use short ones on the outside where they are visible.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

1973 Z1 Maui 17 Aug 2021 08:21 #853929

• MauiZ1
  • MauiZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
I'm going to do Slimjim's method of measuring the stud standout using my old head gasket to see how it looks, then I'll make a decision. If it's just a matter of shaving the end of the studs that seems like the thing to do to preserve the look.
I removed the exhaust studs yesterday, happily it went well. Two were bent already, one just needed a little heat. 

1973 Z1 Maui 17 Aug 2021 14:36 #853977

• MauiZ1
  • User
So today I finished removing the clutch after receiving the holding tool and buying a 30mm socket. I still had a few plates in it which gave me a surprise. First the tool. It is an EBC product that fit nicely but did not really go down over the basket due to the straight handle. I decided to bend it which worked perfectly. A few blips with the impact gun and off it came. It turned it over on the bench and out fell some pieces of clutch plate. 
When I bought the bike I didn’t think I should actually ride it and I’m glad I didn’t. I’m not sure what would happen if I ran it with a disintegrated clutch plate. 
Stock clutch pack and springs is what is going back in, it had heavy springs for some reason.

Attachments:

1973 Z1 Maui 18 Aug 2021 05:07 #853999

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
The 650 I'm currently working on had two broken friction plates.  The engine had been "totally rebuilt" by the PO, who was a ticket diesel mechanic.  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

1973 Z1 Maui 18 Aug 2021 05:46 #854001

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583

hardrockminer post=853911Did you mention earlier that the head was decked?  

One possible solution is to use the taller top hats on the inner head studs where they can't be seen and use short ones on the outside where they are visible.

That';s a very good point.  We missed that completely.    
Decking the head would make it more likely for studs bottom in the short nuts.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

1973 Z1 Maui 18 Aug 2021 13:23 #854032

• MauiZ1
  • User
Spent some quality time cleaning up the heavily painted rear hub. It took most of the afternoon but it's coming along. The task now is to get it clean enough for a little clear coat to slow down corrosion. I'm finding that the texture in the surface hides a lot of black residue. I'm going to try the pressure washer and then the ultrasonic with a weak Dawn dish soap solution. Can't use Simple Green, it will cause the alloy to darken. Cleaning and polishing is really the big time element for this kind of project. I included a photo of the polished bright stuff from my K3 750 project of a few years ago. 
Attachments:

1973 Z1 Maui 18 Aug 2021 13:25 #854033

• MauiZ1
  • User
Forgot to push “insert all”, sorry

1973 Z1 Maui 19 Aug 2021 04:49 #854049

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
It's too bad there is no one doing aqua or vapour blast on the islands.  It makes all that cleaning so much easier.

1973 Z1 Maui 19 Aug 2021 06:20 #854054

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
That's just what I was thinking HRM.  Before and after on a hub/drum Mikaw donated.  It took a lot of time but turned out really nice I thought.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Last edit: by Rick H..

1973 Z1 Maui 19 Aug 2021 08:03 #854059

• MauiZ1
  • User
Yes, if I had the floor space and was interested in something like a side gig, I'd do it. I'm 70 and getting used to being mostly retired, I'm not trying to get busier.
My combination of abrasives and such get me there, it's just a bit of a chore, it does, however, get me a lot of "stand" time on the watch nanny!!

1973 Z1 Maui 19 Aug 2021 09:40 #854063

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

...then the ultrasonic with a weak Dawn dish soap solution. Can't use Simple Green, it will cause the alloy to darken...
I have used Extreme Simple Green which is designed to be safe for aluminum.  I used it in an ultrasonic cleaner on my carburetors and aluminum parts and it did not cause any discoloration.

simplegreen.com/industrial/products/extr...n-cleaner/?locale=en

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100