I’ve had a long bit of distraction with some other projects at the house along with extensive handwringing. My current theory is that using my experience with my 73 Honda 750 may have actually contributed to or caused my issue. On the Honda (higher pressure, lower volume oil system, 60 psi) I cranked on the battery, no plugs, (on initial start) until the oil light went out and oil showed up everywhere. On the Z1 with low pressure high volume I may have been dissipating the assembly lube while waiting for the oil pressure to come up while cranking on the battery with no plugs. I’ve been back through all the oil passages with the cases split, blown air, peered in holes, and put fluid through trying to find a problem. I purchased another pump which measures about the same as the original.
I’m about to start reassembly and then I’ll hold my breath and start it.
If it still has the same problem I’m not sure what I’ll do, all options will be considered. I really want this thing to run and I really want to ride it but the reality is I’m not sure that will happen.
thank you for asking.
the cam chain pulls the cams down potentially blocking the oil holes in the saddles but wouldn’t the valve springs push the cams up off the bottom into the tops of the shells thus allowing oil to flow?
im hoping my problem is the pump which I have now changed since I cannot find anything wrong.
What is the problem ?
The CB750 is a high pressure system because of the insert main bearings.
The Z1 is a low pressure system because the crank has roller bearings.
The chain is not tight enough to pull the cams down, when the cam lobe contacts the shim the spring pushed the cam up.
I run APE studs on all of my builds. Two of the engines I ran a 1/2 drill down those passages and the other 5 I left stock. I got a tad more area from the 1/2 inch drill . APE does not suggest any modification to the stud bores on the z1. The hole that actually feed the head are fairly small in comparison the the area in the cylinder minus the stud. Never had a problem with any of the engines. I am starting to worry about the 73 Z1 I'm about to install new cam shells in. The shells I have I believe were bought from Z1E as were the previous sets. The current set was marked on the bag made in Taiwan with no marking on the shell itself. I don't think any of the sets I purchased were original Kawasaki parts. So my plan is to check the clearance before the head goes on. And to crank the engine (plugs out) and see oil delivered to the top end before installing the cover. I have never done this on any of the Z1 builds (about 9) and yes it did take a few seconds for oil to appear on the top end as I could hear my Liska sprockets quite down, so you have me paranoid.
I think you mention your shells came from Z1E. I hope you have success on this start up
Well after seeing two people with problems with the cam shell bearings I decided to re-order the correct OEM bearings from Japan. This is probably my last Z1 build so I don't need problems. I still plan on checking clearances.
If anyone needs a set from Taiwan I will sell 16 of them for a good price. The person I bought them from used gloves when handling and a close up shows a chamfer center hole and you can see a definite material difference from the bottom steel shell to the actual bearing surface.