Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1973 Z1 Maui 28 Aug 2022 15:07 #873026

• Mikaw
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
If you can rig that up to attach to the block it will only go up to the head. I think, LOL! 

EDIT, might wanna try extremely low pressure, less that 3 psi. Try to mimic the pump to see if oil will flow. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mikaw.

1973 Z1 Maui 29 Aug 2022 14:44 #873074

• MauiZ1
  • MauiZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
I’m going to work on that. 
im going to set It up to feed air up through the oil filter bolt threaded hole. As far as I see on the bike and in the manual it looks like all oil is distributed via holes in the galley in the block under the cylinders behind the piston bores in the block, I’m looking for any aspects that could rob oil flow up.

1973 Z1 Maui 29 Aug 2022 20:00 #873079

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Here is the rest of the maintenance training manual section on lubrication.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:

1973 Z1 Maui 30 Aug 2022 01:41 #873085

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Just because the cams turn freely in the journals without the chain fitted doesn't mean that they will with it fitted. The cam chain creates downward pressure on the cams which tightens them considerably closing the shell gallery holes and consequently almost stopping any lubrication to the shells/cam.
Plasti guage was mentioned several pages ago but you never followed up with a response. 
Even if they plastigauge to have minimum tolerance those shell will get very, very little oil. 
I have had engines which plastigauge to minimum clearance but when tested hardly any oil was able to escape the shell gallery holes to lube the bearings. 
Test method was to leave the cam cover off, get some thin card sheet and curve it over the head to stop oil getting everywhere, take the plugs out and spin it over. The speed the starter motor turns it over with a good battery is plenty fast enough to pump oil to the cams and will fling it against the card sheet. You can see from this which shells are tight as little oil will get thrown onto the card. Oil should pool around the valve buckets pretty damn quickly. Anything less and they are too tight. 
If they are too tight add a shim made from a coke can (100 microns thick) under the trailing edge of the cam cap. This will ease the shell / cam tolerance by virtually nothing but enough to allow freer oil flow. 
Test it again and you'll have oil pooling around the buckets. 
You can either leave the cap shimmed or grinding paste the cam/shells to increase the tolerance. If you choose to use grinding paste ensure you have blocked the feed holes. I find well greased pipe cleaners folded several times so a tight fit ideal for this purpose as they are easy to put in and pull out and clean the gallery in the process.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

1973 Z1 Maui 08 Sep 2022 17:59 #873583

• MauiZ1
  • User
Yep, they plastigauge fine.
A spin test with the cams in and no valves yielded no oil getting on top. I'm waiting on a part to begin my next line of checking to see where I may be losing oil to. 
All passages will also be re-checked for flow and lack of debris.

1973 Z1 Maui 10 Sep 2022 10:04 #873657

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 511
Het "Danno"  (that's a compliment!!)   I don't know if your interested in any up close clean pictures of the oil galleys or a certain angle of anything??   Of these set of cases I just finished??But there just sitting now getting ready for a sale.I could get some other pictures.Until you do this yourself? This is a pain in the ass! My fingers are numb and sore even with gloves putting  screws/bolts into every thread then removing. I also bored spigots out for 1197cc liners  3.225" sleeves.Marty in Buffalo 
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

1973 Z1 Maui 02 Oct 2022 08:43 #874905

• MauiZ1
  • User
Thank youI've been checking the oil passages, it's a pretty simple system. I just devised an air fitting out of a spare oil filter bolt, installed it and puffed compressed air in to see if I hear any air coming out where it isn't supposed to. I get good air at the cylinder studs and I'm going to continue to check going up into the head. This is an off shoot of my previous "feather test" video, but more thorough.I got the original tank back all repaired, it looks great.
I also have purchased another oil pump to try.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H., Wookie58

1973 Z1 Maui 02 Oct 2022 10:06 #874910

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720
That bodywork is absolutely stunning Maui 

1973 Z1 Maui 02 Oct 2022 14:47 #874917

• MauiZ1
  • User
Just for reference, here is a before repair photo. This is the original tank, damaged by the po’s wife. It was repaired by Hannibal Williams of Cycledelic Creations on Oahu. He’s a master.
Attachments:

1973 Z1 Maui 02 Oct 2022 15:17 #874918

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720
Really nice work, a lot wouldn't attempt to repair that

1973 Z1 Maui 02 Oct 2022 15:36 #874920

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Nice paint!  That bike is going to be a stunner when it's done.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

1973 Z1 Maui 02 Oct 2022 18:11 #874930

• MauiZ1
  • User
I did another air flow test today, at this point I have to assume the problem was the pump. The air was introduced by a filter bolt I modified to have an air fitting, it barely lifted the oil pressure switch valve so I think it was at or near design pressure. The air was also coming through the gallery.

youtube.com/watch?v=vvYVBwA8WqI&feature=share