Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 10 Mar 2024 19:14 #896264

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 310
Same here, the one down the middle of the tail.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 11 Mar 2024 00:34 #896268

• Buzz Nichols
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 105
Same. And, fwiw, I'm not sold on the yellow headlight bezel ring. I think the fairing would look better solid green. Just my 2p.
Is this thing working? Is this thing on?

1978 KZ1000 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 11 Mar 2024 00:36 #896269

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1834

OK, the "from the first time" confused me a bit... I'll see how it looks tomorrow, but I think I agree with you guys.
Don't worry it's just the "Oldtimers" kicking in. In my my confused mind those side stripes where on the top 

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 11 Mar 2024 01:49 #896275

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 393
Thanks guys. The fairing is staying on the shelf for the moment. I won't have time to make a bracket for it before I get an MOT and I don't want to rush it. Plan is to get it done next winter - which will unfortunately mean another MOT visit to get it entered into the paperwork... gotta love the German TÜV!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 11 Mar 2024 10:39 #896288

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 310

Thanks guys. The fairing is staying on the shelf for the moment. I won't have time to make a bracket for it before I get an MOT and I don't want to rush it. Plan is to get it done next winter - which will unfortunately mean another MOT visit to get it entered into the paperwork... gotta love the German TÜV!

You have to get another inspection just because you added a small fairing?

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 11 Mar 2024 10:47 #896289

• Wookie58
  • Away

You have to get another inspection just because you added a small fairing?

Germany has about the tightest "inspection regime" of anywhere - all approved modifications are listed on the inspection cert and any changes means re-inspection (I thought UK MOT was tight but it's nothing like the German system) the Police can impound vehicles with modifications not listed on the inspection certificate (including a small nosecone) any aftermarket "body kits" "spoilers" etc have to have a TUV approved certificate or they can't be fitted "the end"

Before any modification in the vehicle, it is always safer to ask about the law from the people working in modification and performance firms as they are working in the field and know better. These people have contacts with inspection firms as well. There are more than 400 tuning and performance firms registered in Germany. Information about modifications can also be discussed with the inspection company or officials at the vehicle registration office (Fahrzeug Zulassungsstelle).
Inspection companies like TÜV and Dekra inspect these modifications. After the approval from the inspection company, the modification is mentioned in official papers (Fahrzeugbrief and Fahrzeugschein) of the vehicle, or an additional paper (Zusatzblatt) can be issued in some cases. If the modification is apparently visible, the police may stop and ask for permission papers. Some common modifications are:
  1. Display modifications: e.g. tires and rims. Tire size is written on vehicle documents. Tires of other sizes are not allowed. To change the size of the tires, permission is necessary. Similarly, modifications, that change the driving behavior at low or high speed would need permissions, for example, spoilers.
  2. Sound modification: Noise level of every vehicle is registered. If the exhaust modification increases the noise from its original level, it needs permission.
  3. Performance modification: Power increase also changes the behavior on the road so, it would need a permit. For example, change of engine. If the engine of another vehicle is fitted in a vehicle it would need permission.
  4. Interior modifications like seat change etc are allowed without any permission.
EDIT: I would however add that some sections of "Autobahn" in Germany are unrestricted where else in the world can you legally pass a police car at 180MPH  so I guess some of the restrictions make "a little" more sense

Last edit: by Wookie58.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 11 Mar 2024 11:27 #896290

• calum
  • Away
  • User
Had an interesting time with the cams today... 
Put the cams in and aligned the dots on the APE sprockets then slowly turned the engine over and hit some resistance. Thankfully I didn't force anything - when I looked in the plug hole on cylinder three I saw two valves stuck together   I backed off but they stayed stuck until I took the cams out. I was wondering if the yoshi cams where supposed to be aligned differently but can't read japanese so couldn't check the paperwork. Then I took a look at the cams and they were definitely off (was kicking myself for not seeing it straight away). I took a step back and did some other stuff before checking them again. It was then that I saw the second dot on the APE sprocket. I aligned them to the one on the slot and not the one meant for the 28th link (this was fine on the exhaust but not so good on the intake). 
After that I got things sorted out and turned the engine over only to see the #3 intake shim being spat out of the head. Not sure if it just wasn't in properly or not enough oil but I think I'll be swapping to shim under bucket.
I put the shim back in and checked the cams. The intake is at 102° instead of 105° and the exhaust is at 111° instead of 107,5°. I'll sort that out when I take the head back off and will also check the valves that got stuck.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by calum.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 11 Mar 2024 12:46 #896293

• calum
  • Away
  • User
Couldn't help myself, had to go back to the garage and try out the stripes on the tank. I used the same width as the tail and then went a bit wider. I think I'll go with the wider ones - don't need to mess around trying the other options, mind is made up :)
Only thing I need to sort out ist the vent. I think I'll just get a 22mm punch and put a hole in the middle stripe. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelly E

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 11 Mar 2024 13:12 #896294

• Wookie58
  • Away
Love it, getting close now 

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 11 Mar 2024 14:42 #896296

• RedPill
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Looks great! I really like the fork brace and the clear clutch cover.

Can you post links?

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 11 Mar 2024 14:52 #896299

• calum
  • Away
  • User
Thanks. The clutch cover is no longer available (my one might be up for grabs soon, still deciding). The fork brace is from Fastec in the UK: 

www.thebritishforkbracecompany.com/produ...i-zrx1100-fork-brace

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 12 Mar 2024 07:55 #896317

• calum
  • Away
  • User
Made the most of my lunch break and got the manifold for the oil lines done. Need to figure out how I'm going to mount it to the valve cover but I have a couple of ideas.

Attachments:

Last edit: by calum.