Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ750H Restoration 12 May 2020 18:41 #825586

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
You will need to flare the tube slightly. I doubt you can find a closer size off the shelf. It wasn't difficult to achieve a press with the 1/8" tubing.
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750H Restoration 13 May 2020 00:24 #825605

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
LOCTITE® 577 (fuel resistant) will secure and seal your brass tubing.

www.caferacer-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=26825

KZ750H Restoration 13 May 2020 06:32 #825621

• fixitmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Wow just read through most of this thread for inspiration as I am putting my old 750E back on the road.
Beautiful job.
I have a 750 H parts bike this might have those rear reflectors you mentioned, if you need them I will be happy to take a look.
Nice, very nice.
So the old Rocker gets out his bike to make a ton before he takes his leave. Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be. And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take and he hits the trunk road doing around 120 with no room left to brake.

KZ750H Restoration 13 May 2020 10:13 #825632

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 390
It's the front reflectors I'm missing. The ones in the photo below. I imagine it would be a bit too expensive to ship but if they are in good condition I'm definitely interested.

Attachments:

Last edit: by calum.

KZ750H Restoration 13 May 2020 16:28 #825665

• fixitmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Pretty sure they are there.
I will take a look.
If I can get to it (its in the back of the barn with some stuff in front of it) I will post a pic.
If you want them you can have them for the shipping cost which I have no idea but I am sure we can figure it out.
So the old Rocker gets out his bike to make a ton before he takes his leave. Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be. And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take and he hits the trunk road doing around 120 with no room left to brake.

KZ750H Restoration 13 May 2020 16:30 #825667

• calum
  • User
Swapped the leaky float bowls out with some from the spare set today. Set them aside so I can repair them when the brass tubing gets here. Hooked them up to an auxiliary tank and stuck them on the workbench in the carport so I can keep an eye on them. Five hours later and the paper towel underneath the float bowls is still bone dry. Ran my finger over the end of the drain nipples and all but one were dry - just got a tiny bit of gas from float bowl #1, just enough so I could see it glistening on my finger.
Will leave them overnight but they should be fine. Will put them back on the bike and check the drain tubes periodically, but at that rate the fuel will evaporate before a drop can form. Next time I pull the carbs I can swap it out with a newly repaired float bowl.

Attachments:

KZ750H Restoration 13 May 2020 16:39 #825670

• calum
  • User

fixitmann wrote: Pretty sure they are there.
I will take a look.
If I can get to it (its in the back of the barn with some stuff in front of it) I will post a pic.
If you want them you can have them for the shipping cost which I have no idea but I am sure we can figure it out.

Thanks. No hurry :)
I see that you have had the 750E from the beginning. Bet it will feel good to get it back out on the road. BTW: your son is right - the black engine is the way to go :)

KZ750H Restoration 13 May 2020 16:57 #825675

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
In my opinion i would try to solder the over flow tubes. Brass is easy to solder, so you have nothing to lose,so give it a try.

KZ750H Restoration 13 May 2020 17:04 #825676

• calum
  • User
That was my original intention, but it turned out I would need to completely cover them in solder - areas of the tubing with just ridden with pinholes. The old tubes are out already, so no more soldering :) I decided if replacing them didn't go well I'd plug them.
Anyway, it looks like I've got a good set for a while. Paper towel is still dry B)

KZ750H Restoration 13 May 2020 17:33 #825677

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2677

Scirocco wrote: In my opinion i would try to solder the over flow tubes. Brass is easy to solder, so you have nothing to lose,so give it a try.

Solding is a bad repair for those cracks. I know because I tried. The crack goes down into the float bowl and you can't solder there. Plus, replacing the tube is pretty easy. There is info on the repair in the archives here.

KZ750H Restoration 14 May 2020 10:56 #825729

• calum
  • User
So, got the leaks all sorted by swapping out the leaky float bowls. As I said, I'll fix the overflow tubes and put them in the spares box.
Was about to put the carbs back on the bike and thought I'd double check the float level beforehand. They were way out (3-4 mm too high). Strange, as I was pretty careful when I checked them before, only thing I can think of is I may have had a brain fart and turned the tap off on the auxiliary tank when the bowls were full. That would mean that the float bowls wouldn't have been topped up after the measuring tube was filled with gas. This would give me a low reading.

Another thing I have been curious about is the fast idle function on the Keihins. Basically, when you start applying choke, the throttle will be cracked open by the linkage on carb #2. This isn't working on my carbs but works on the spare set. I had a look at the linkage on both and it looks like someone has been bending stuff. Is this the normal 'adjustment'? If anything I'd have thought the other end should be bent (the part resting on the throttle pulley).

Here's the linkage from the spare set:

And here's the current situation:
Attachments:

Last edit: by calum.

KZ750H Restoration 14 May 2020 11:12 #825732

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
Mine looks like the second picture (less the pretty plating!). What comes to my mind is how the part got bent. Linkage binding and force applied? Or someone else had meddled with it? Needs to be fixed, for sure.
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker