Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 13:03 #827775

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 383
Went for an MOT today and things didn't quite go as planned.
Problem #1: Today I learnt that in Germany you either need to hook the kill switch up to your side stand or your stand needs to automatically go up when you take the weight off it. I'm struggling with this one as I can't find a decent way to mount a switch to the stand without drilling/tapping/welding... (wiring it up isn't a problem, just the mechanics are giving me grief). I'm slowly coming around to the idea of an automatic stand as I realised that I NEVER put this bike down without checking if the stand is down. I just need to figure out a way to attach a second spring or find a ready made replacement. @Scirocco, if you're reading this, I seem to remember you posted something like this that I thought was absolutely crazy at the time, can't find it though.

Problem #2: Despite having talked to the guys beforehand and them saying I would be fine if the stationary noise test values were OK, the guy there today just wasn't having a bar of it (it turned out he didn't have a clue about the regulations on older bikes). Noise test result was 91dB at 0.5m from the end of the muffler. Maximum for a 1980 KZ750 is 103dB (over twice as loud). Still, as soon as the guy started the bike I could see by the look on his face that there was no way I was getting that exhaust registered for road use today. I was right - he said he wouldn't sign off on it without a full noise test for a few hundred Euros.

Unfortunately you need to get the right people over here. I thought I had, the guys on the phone seemed like they had some appreciation for the bike. The guy today didn't even take a second look at it, that was the first warning sign. If I was testing bikes and saw my bike coming in I'd like to think I'd take a minute to appreciate a pretty decent old bike.

I'm on the fence with the Delkevic at the moment anyway: on the short ride home I went onto the highway and at 100 km/h the noise was still louder than the wind that was ripping through my open faced helmet. In short - pretty sure it will be too loud in the long run. I haven't found a decent way of making it quieter, but I'm open to suggestions...

So, a bit of a setback but thems the breaks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by calum.

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 13:37 #827778

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Considering the millions of motorcycles that have been built over many years without the switch mentioned in "Problem #1" I would ask someone to verify or look online at the rules to verify that requirement. Perhaps it is required for bikes built after a certain date, but it is very difficult for me to understand how such a requirement could be made for all bikes. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 13:45 #827780

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
You could adapt another bike's muffler on it, but it would certainly take it farther from looking stock than closer.
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 13:53 #827783

• calum
  • User

650ed wrote: Considering the millions of motorcycles that have been built over many years without the switch mentioned in "Problem #1" I would ask someone to verify or look online at the rules to verify that requirement. Perhaps it is required for bikes built after a certain date, but it is very difficult for me to understand how such a requirement could be made for all bikes. Ed

They introduced it as law in Germany in the late 70's or early 80's for all bikes. Apparently there were a load of accidents (including some deaths) that brought about the change. Now you cannot get any bike roadworthy if it is possible to ride with the sidestand out, it doesn't matter what year the bike is. A lot of places seem to overlook this, but it is required by law.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 13:55 #827784

• calum
  • User

Skidmark wrote: You could adapt another bike's muffler on it, but it would certainly take it farther from looking stock than closer.

This is actually a good option, but there are very few mufflers out there with 64mm attachments - and I'm not really the right person to start making anything...

Also, as you say, I'd like to go towards rather than away from stock. I'm currently trying to figure out if a Zephyr 750 Exhaust will just bolt-on.

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 15:33 #827799

• Skidmark
  • User
When "Stock" or "Stock appearance" comes into play the game certainly changes. Since my build is going the other direction I have more options. Best of luck straightening out your MOT issues.
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

Last edit: by Skidmark.

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 15:40 #827800

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
To repley to your probs to the MOT, yes you have to modify your side stand mechanism to snap in if unloaded weight from the ground or do some electric switch lock to interupt the ignition to prevent start up in gear or if the clutch was engage in gear.
Only historic bike made earlier than 1981 has an attribute to didn´t need this feature today for the MOT here in Germany.
I my self had a lot of discussion with the testing ingeneers about the pro and cons so i am going the "Give him what he want way" for the licence plate patch!!!
Yes i have got a lot of mocking remarks to my side stand safety feature here on the Forum but i have learnd to living with....

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 16:01 #827803

• calum
  • User

Skidmark wrote: When "Stock" or "Stock appearance" comes into play the game certainly changes. Since my build is going the other direction I have more options. Best of luck straightening out your MOT issues.

A 4-1 system would be OK, but there are only a few available that are certified for road use over here. The cheapest I have found is about $600 and I can probably find a good 4-2 for that money (and get a step closer to a proper resto).

Scirocco wrote: To repley to your probs to the MOT, yes you have to modify your side stand mechanism to snap in if unloaded weight from the ground or do some electric switch lock to interupt the ignition to prevent start up in gear or if the clutch was engage in gear.
Only historic bike made earlier than 1981 has an attribute to didn´t need this feature today for the MOT here in Germany.
I my self had a lot of discussion with the testing ingeneers about the pro and cons so i am going the "Give him what he want way" for the licence plate patch!!!
Yes i have got a lot of mocking remarks to my side stand safety feature here on the Forum but i have learnd to living with....

As far as I could tell, they made the law applicable to older bikes as well... maybe need to read up as I'm in the 'before 1981' category. Still, the last thing I want is to be pulling out bits of the road regulations to convince a cop that my bike is legal :S
Thanks for the picture. Did you machine that plate or is it available to buy somewhere? I am still a bit unsure and may wire in a relay to the 20A fuse output, but getting a switch rigged up will be a bit of a PITA.
Definitely will only wire the main power line to the stand and neutral switch, I'm not running a wire up under the tank to cut off the coils - the harness is done and is not to be touched :) Only other option would be two relays (one for each coil -ve at the igniter).

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 16:11 #827808

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
If your local near field noise test was okay (91 dB, with a 103 dB limit) your drive by test should be less than 91 dB!!!
Your testing engeneer has no balls in the pans...
Here is my bike paper work

Attachments:

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 16:16 #827810

• Skidmark
  • User
Looks like someone trying to justify his own existence, if you ask me. I know that doesn't help you get closer to your goal, but some people need to get a grip on the scope of their job. A good example is the difference between the California DMV and the Nevada DMV. Sorry, don't get me started!!
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 16:23 #827811

• calum
  • User
Yeah, it's always the way. Was great back in the day, the old man new where to go for a warrant of fitness (MOT in NZ) - just drive on in, have a chat, get a sticker and back on the road :)
Anyway, we'll see what I end up doing. May end up making it a more complete resto if I find some good stock pipes. There's a new RHS in ebay, only €600 :ohmy: - would consider it if I knew I could find the LHS for free ;)

Scirocco: Line #22 in you rego papers is crazy :blink:

KZ750H Restoration 10 Jun 2020 16:50 #827814

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
Line #22: My bike was an USA re-import with frame vin on the left side of the head stock (Euro model on the right side), so i have to pay 20 DM aka 10 Euro today for the exeption licence. In 1997 i got a full MOT, the testing engeneer ask "where is your air box?" I answer: "burned away or lost in transit", He: Okay, Looks good, sounds good and give me the licence to register my bike street legal, times change now but who cares....