Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
02 Nov 2013 21:35 #611928 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
I been terrible with photos, but if you've seen one tear down, you've seen them all. and working at the Drag Race shop I was pressed for time so I couldn't get as detailed as I want but, again, it's just a tear down.

Though, today I got all the mating surfaces clean, blew the motor out with air and am calling her good. The next leg of this project will be clean up and assembly so interesting progress is to be made. I will be starting tomorrow on cleaning and painting. I mocked up my 6 piston brakes and found I need a 3mm spacer in between the rotars and the wheel to make them work. I will cut out a plate for the calipers to mount to, I am excited. For a minute I thought I was in over my head with the engine disassembled and so much time passing. I was scared I wouldn't have the funds or time to start putting her back together soon. But no. The time will be made and I will make this happen in next two months. She will be running in two months and I will post progress until you all are sick of seeing my title on the front page haha

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2013 22:52 #611929 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
Your doing a fantastic job, thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing it done. Makes me Jones for mine. I wrecked her in August and moved to Arizona for work. It is riding season here and it pains me to be without my bike. Should be moving the family and bike here this month. I get to start rebuilding soon.
Again keep up the great work.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
04 Nov 2013 06:48 #612014 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
it wouldn't hurt to pull the oil pump and make sure none of that trash is inside it.

especially since the skirts got scuffed.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
06 Nov 2013 19:26 #612281 by peavylotus
:sick:

kaw-a-holic wrote: Your doing a fantastic job, thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing it done. Makes me Jones for mine. I wrecked her in August and moved to Arizona for work. It is riding season here and it pains me to be without my bike. Should be moving the family and bike here this month. I get to start rebuilding soon.

Thanks man, I am excited about putting it back together. I have never done an engine rebuild and am a bit anxious.

I used to live in phoenix and Prescott arizona. Its always riding season down there haha

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
06 Nov 2013 19:35 #612282 by peavylotus

531blackbanshee wrote: it wouldn't hurt to pull the oil pump and make sure none of that trash is inside it.

especially since the skirts got scuffed.

leon

That's not a bad idea I will do that. I have to take the oil pan off again since I sheared a off a crappy weak china made harbor frieght bolt when torqueing the oil pan down...don't use cheap bolts is my lesson learned.

More
06 Nov 2013 20:12 #612285 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe

peavylotus wrote: :sick:

kaw-a-holic wrote: Your doing a fantastic job, thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing it done. Makes me Jones for mine. I wrecked her in August and moved to Arizona for work. It is riding season here and it pains me to be without my bike. Should be moving the family and bike here this month. I get to start rebuilding soon.

Thanks man, I am excited about putting it back together. I have never done an engine rebuild and am a bit anxious.

I used to live in phoenix and Prescott arizona. Its always riding season down there haha

I grew up in Mesa. The only time it isn't riding season is the 2 weeks of monsoons. You just have to shift your pair of dimes in Seattle on what you call "riding season."

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
06 Nov 2013 20:30 #612287 by peavylotus
Yeah, The only thing that held me back from riding when I had the bike as my daily was wind. Having had no fender on the back which in affect I was soaked by the time I got anywhere. The Ballard Bridge was sketchy in the rain, being metal and all.

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
06 Nov 2013 20:41 #612288 by peavylotus
I got my cylinders on. Putting those pistons back in by hand without a compressor tool was a tricky business. I don't recommend and know installing the cylinder is not recommended without a ring compressor but I did it and found it wasn't to big of a hassle. Hardest part was keeping the rings 180 degrees separated while fiddling them into the cylinders.

The Lisa cam gears and pistons look so good, I wish they weren't hidden inside the engine.

Attachment IMG_20131106_162712_537.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20131106_172029_475.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20131106_172040_312.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20131106_182828_894.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20131106_182916_601.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20131106_183033_259.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20131106_182859_786.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20131106_183233_290.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
07 Nov 2013 02:39 #612293 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
Build coming together nicely! Can I ask what that is that looks like grease around the outside top of the pistons? It resembles Moly lube.

Les

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
07 Nov 2013 07:25 #612316 by peavylotus
It is Moly Graphite engine assembly lube I got from O'riely when I rebuilt the heads on my Mustang. A Mustang I totalled a few months ago...makes me want to cry haha

More
07 Nov 2013 08:22 #612323 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
Kinda what I guessed. Not exactly the place to use that kind of lube. You're best bet is probably going to be tear it back down, clean the pee out of it and reassemble the pistons to jug with engine oil, non synthetic.
There is many theory's and ideas as to good and bad kinds of assembly lube but moly is pretty much an agreed upon no no on cylinder walls
Sorry, hate being the bearer of bad news.

Les Holt

More
07 Nov 2013 08:29 #612324 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe

les holt wrote: Kinda what I guessed. Not exactly the place to use that kind of lube. You're best bet is probably going to be tear it back down, clean the pee out of it and reassemble the pistons to jug with engine oil, non synthetic.
There is many theory's and ideas as to good and bad kinds of assembly lube but moly is pretty much an agreed upon no no on cylinder walls
Sorry, hate being the bearer of bad news.

Les Holt

Yeap it is. I like to use some auto transmission fluid myself. WD40 is good also and can be mixed with some ATF fluid. Works great for ring seating and breakin.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..