Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
14 Nov 2013 20:14 #613093 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
PM sent. Sounds familiar, I was working for a methane company as a parts runner in Wyoming before coming to Seattle and would have to drive way into the middle of nowhere. Tons of those post office towns out there.

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
24 Nov 2013 22:22 #614032 by peavylotus
So thanks to kzz1 king I received the new clutch pressure plate and got it installed.

In effect of lapping the valves I need to adjust shims, though having trouble deciding how to find my specific shim sizes since I will need almost all smaller size shims.

Other than the shims and replacing bolts, the engine is ready to go back in. I want to paint the frame but I don't think time will allow it so I will skip paint, rather, I will give it a good clean and touch it up.

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
24 Nov 2013 22:31 #614034 by peavylotus

Attachment IMG_20131120_113431_237.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20131120_123826_821.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
25 Nov 2013 19:18 #614098 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
Glad it made it and you are making progress again.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
28 Dec 2013 17:44 #616587 by peavylotus
I have quite the update

Been waiting on parts and have gotten a Drag Specialties Tachometer, I found it for $35.00 . Having the Drag Specialties logo may give the appearance of a performance bike to passers by haha

I got a sweet steal on Stainless Allen Bolts as well, being $30.00. It has the foot peg nuts, stator, points, clutch basket and sprocket cover bolts as well as oil pump mounting bolts, cam chain tensioner, oil pan bolts and top cam sprocket bolts. They look very nice and is a very comprehensive set I must say.

I also replaced the oil pan gasket with a cometics brand because I didn't trust the one I had on there after having to remove the oil pan twice.

I got my 2.00 shim for measuring shim sizes with a cheap-o shim tool. I also got a Carburetor Synchronizer from Z1 for $52.00. A very good deal relative to what I found on Ebay and other sites being around $80.00.

I also began upholsering the seat I made.

And for Christmas I got a GoPro Hero 3. I have been wanting a GoPro for a few years and finally got one, which is what I took most of these pictures with.

Attachment IMG_20131227_153214_062.jpg not found

Attachment GOPR0094.JPG not found

Attachment GOPR0096.JPG not found

Attachment GOPR0100.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_20131228_163218_011.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20131228_163407_631.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20131228_163805_959.jpg not found

Attachment GOPR01123.JPG not found

Attachments:

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
28 Dec 2013 17:48 #616588 by peavylotus
This is the Tach and some more of the bike as it sits

Attachment IMG_20131228_174416_158.jpg not found

Attachment GOPR01152.JPG not found

Attachment GOPR0114.JPG not found

Attachments:

More
28 Dec 2013 21:56 #616598 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
looking good man keep up the good work.

81 kz 550 ltd

More
29 Dec 2013 11:36 #616626 by WU7X
Replied by WU7X on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
My first post here. I am picking up a '79 FZ650 and will be rebuilding the entire engine. PO tore it apart to clean it and never got around to rebuilding it. So, all the old parts are there, I hope.

Reading your writeup has been a real inspiration to me. I've never built an engine before, so was nice to watch you do this one right. Do you have a Kawi shop manual, or what are you using to do this rebuild?

Any plans on updating the forks and rear shocks?

Dale

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
29 Dec 2013 13:21 #616634 by peavylotus
Very good and Thank you. Good luck on your rebuild. I am using the shop manual for torque specs, tolerances and timing information. Outside of specific engine info, I have my own knowledge bank to go off of. Also with the wiring harness being made from scratch and brakes turning custom, There isn't a whole lot of info I can pull from the book in effect I have to find answers elsewhere or use some good old fashioned ingenuity haha

I have no plans on changing the forks. If I had a proper garage I would consider it. I am changing out the rear shocks with nitrogen filled external reservoir shocks, nothing special but will update the look a little bit.

More
29 Dec 2013 14:02 #616641 by WU7X
Replied by WU7X on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
My son just received the engine in 4 boxes :laugh: Everything looks very clean with individual parts in well marked plastic bags, so I'm getting excited about getting over there to pick that up. Next Tuesday the kid will be getting the rest of the bike. I'm also getting a new set of progressive springs for the forks and a new in box black 4 into 1 Kerker muffler. Total price so far = $0.00. Yup, the PO wants his garage back. I know, lots of folks say don't start with someone elses torn down engine, but I like the PO, he has always been very honest and forthright about everything. And I have the time to put into it. Now, I have to find a factory shop manual and get going....

I really appreciate the pics you put up. They gave me a real feel for what I am getting myself into. So thanks again and good luck with engineering school. My father-in-law is a retired 3M engineer, and two of my grandkids are in engineering school; civil and agricultural. I'm a retired geologist, and spent my entire career working with the full spectrum of engineers. Who knew there could be so many engineering fields? :laugh:

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
29 Dec 2013 23:31 #616695 by peavylotus
The only problem with getting a basket case is the feeling of being overwhelmed though in your benefit these engines are very simple so piecing them together is pretty simple. Although not having the experience of taking it apart and seeing it together is a downside. On the flip, because the bike was free, you can direct money to good quality parts and have fun making it your own. My regret is not spending the extra money on a nice set of wiseco forged pistons.

Thanks for the good words about school. I am in the second year and got about three more to go but so far so good.

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
30 Dec 2013 01:24 #616696 by peavylotus
Impulse buy but for $80.00 for the lot on ebay...I couldn't pass it up.

Accel Coils with a Dual Stage Rev limiter
I saved about $300.00 if I bought these new. The rev limiter alone is $170.00 from APE raceparts.

So Stoked. I need to stop spending money haha

Attachment Capture_2013-12-30.JPG not found

Attachments: