Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
09 Oct 2013 22:27 #609443 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe

650ed wrote: Do you know what the correct bore of the master cylinder should be for those calipers? If not, you should check since it may be different than the bore of the current master cylinder. Ed

Good catch, but thankfully the guy I bought him from asked me what master cylinder I was using and said he would set me up with one that moves a bit more fluid when I get the cash for it.

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
09 Oct 2013 22:51 #609447 by peavylotus
I found a thread here on the topic of these exact brakes actually...nice here is a pick of one of them

Attachment KZ_6_pistons1.jpg not found

I feel like no one is sticking with the stock disk...

Attachments:

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
09 Oct 2013 22:52 - 09 Oct 2013 22:53 #609448 by peavylotus
I found a thread here on the topic of these exact brakes actually...nice here is a pick of some of them

Attachment 2012-09-0112.28.35.jpg not found

Attachment 3301.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Oct 2013 22:53 by peavylotus. Reason: link problems

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
10 Oct 2013 06:29 #609487 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe

peavylotus wrote: I found a thread here on the topic of these exact brakes actually...nice here is a pick of some of them

Attachment 2012-09-0112.28.35.jpg not found

Attachment 3301.jpg not found

that's because those calipers don't float, the disks float. KZ calipers float and the disks are static. if you try to use a non-floating caliper, with a non-floating disk you will face catastrophe as there is almost no room for machining differences. It will cause braking problems or failure. get a set of floating rotors and your good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
10 Oct 2013 15:50 #609540 by peavylotus
Well that sounds good to me I suppose, can't really argue with failing brakes... They had some pretty cool un-used disks up in lynnwood to choose from. Sucks I have to sell those rotors now though.

Do the police bike rear caliper fit on the 1980 rear? they are silver and have the Kawasaki logo which makes me want them to add some contrast to this all black bike. Black is my least favorite color/shade and this bike is covered in it!

More
10 Oct 2013 16:09 #609543 by Stazi
Replied by Stazi on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
I can tell you that after riding a 2000 ZX9R for years and then moving to my 1982 KZ1000, the brakes on these old bike are TERRIBLE. Talk about having to squeeze for dear life...and you really need to use the rear brake more than you ever would on a modern bike otherwise you'll end up in the back seat of someones car.

Can't wait to be rid of them when I go to the R1 forks!

82 KZ1000-K2 LTD

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
10 Oct 2013 17:34 #609552 by peavylotus
I haven't ridden a newer bike since I got the KZ and refuse to because then I'll want a new bike, my way of thinking is if I'm not happy with what I have than its best to wait until I am to ride something better. I'm sheltering myself until the project is done haha.

I agree though, the brake fade on the brakes were pretty unnerving at times but I have the vented disks and would imagine the solid ones being a little soft at high speeds, not sure though, its all speculation on my part.

Not to mention I did have water in my lines and low on fluid due to a reservoir leak, so really the whole brake system for me particularly was bad news bears.

Soooo dangerous.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
11 Oct 2013 04:35 #609624 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe

Stazi wrote: I can tell you that after riding a 2000 ZX9R for years and then moving to my 1982 KZ1000, the brakes on these old bike are TERRIBLE. Talk about having to squeeze for dear life...and you really need to use the rear brake more than you ever would on a modern bike otherwise you'll end up in the back seat of someones car.

I once saw a short article on correct braking techniques in a bike magazine. it said to use only 1-2 fingers on the brake lever as having more fingers around the handlebar gives you better stability. I remember thinking, "I would end up in the back of a bus if i tried to do that on the KZ!"

More
11 Oct 2013 10:27 #609636 by Stazi
Replied by Stazi on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe

DoctoRot wrote:

Stazi wrote: I can tell you that after riding a 2000 ZX9R for years and then moving to my 1982 KZ1000, the brakes on these old bike are TERRIBLE. Talk about having to squeeze for dear life...and you really need to use the rear brake more than you ever would on a modern bike otherwise you'll end up in the back seat of someones car.

I once saw a short article on correct braking techniques in a bike magazine. it said to use only 1-2 fingers on the brake lever as having more fingers around the handlebar gives you better stability. I remember thinking, "I would end up in the back of a bus if i tried to do that on the KZ!"

No doubt! I don't you could ever do a stoppie on a KZ even if you tried to squeeze the bejesus out of the front brake. The brakes are woeful. LOL

82 KZ1000-K2 LTD

More
11 Oct 2013 11:53 - 11 Oct 2013 11:55 #609648 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
Really guys, the brakes on my 78 KZ650 and ELR clone are fantastic and they are the stock ones. I run sintered pads which help but even the stock pads were good. I have ridden modern bikes and their brakes are better but I wouldn't call the brakes on the older KZ's bad. I ride with a bunch of younger guys on new machines and I am still out front in the twisties even with my old brakes and suspension.
[IMG

[IMG
Last edit: 11 Oct 2013 11:55 by baldy110.

More
11 Oct 2013 12:14 #609653 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
"As new" front brakes on both Z1 (single disc) and KZ900B1 LTD (dual discs) will squall the front tire on clean dry road surface when applied with a firm squeeze -- Godzilla strength not required.

Squalling is enough braking power, beyond which wheel lock-up is undesirable, and dangerous.

Imo, stoppies abilities are relegated to stunting, and without practical benefit.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Oct 2013 13:50 - 11 Oct 2013 13:56 #609662 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Peavylotus' Rebuild of the KZ Cafe
I suppose any brake system would work poorly if you let the system get contaminated with water and air. The stock brakes on my KZ650-C1 work great! Of course, I maintain them by changing the brake fluid every 2 years, and I keep sticky tires on my bike. Will it pull stoppies? No; and I'm glad it doesn't! It simply stops the motorcycle quickly in a controlled fashion. I'll leave the stunts to highly trained professional riders with unique riding skill like these:

And just in case any newbies believe the damage is always limited to the bike:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 11 Oct 2013 13:56 by 650ed.