Tri.... scores one for the barn find column 79MK11

More
26 Jul 2010 15:48 #386008 by Lazyman06
with it's tongue...yea idk I thought i'd chime in :)

1979 KZ1000 MK II frame
1980 KZ1000 C3 police engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2010 07:01 - 27 Jul 2010 07:01 #386198 by Patton
trianglelaguna wrote:

rubber band trick learned here on kzr is better than my elec tape idea

[/quote]

. . . Smells like victory!

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jul 2010 07:01 by Patton.

More
27 Jul 2010 07:10 - 01 Aug 2010 10:54 #386203 by PLUMMEN
Patton wrote:

trianglelaguna wrote:

rubber band trick learned here on kzr is better than my elec tape idea

. . . Smells like victory!

Good Fortune! :)[/quote]yeahcraig loves the smell of dirty petcocks in the morning! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 10:54 by PLUMMEN.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
01 Aug 2010 10:43 - 01 Aug 2010 11:12 #387423 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Tri.... scores one for the barn find column 79MK11
Well I got it to fire up yesterday.....
I'm trYing to see if i can run it with the vacuum petcock to do some shake down runs untill i order stuff monday to convert to a normal petcock...

The airbox to carb boots are really really hard and i was getting pissed last time and was about to trash the inner screens in the airbox and soak the boots in really hot water....i decided to just order some pods for the 28's and save the box intact for some new boots some day
...since i dont have the new pods for the 28's yet,and since the GP is now past and i am not sweating the kz900 being out of commision(it needs some maintenance anyways)I pulled my 29 smoothbores and pod set up from the 900 and installed on the MKII...the other issue was the broken starter button ,which i just removed and zipp tied the two wires securely but exposed near the control so i can either get a remote button or just ground em brush em together to use the elec starter,it worked....(gotta order right controls,pods,and petcock and adpt plate from Jeff on monday)......

anyhow it fired right up and a few idle adjustments and it was running and starting with just a touch......

Problems :
so far to sort out....

#1.)
the MKII vacum petcock has a small rubber hose above the gas feed line??...when i tried hooking this to one of the two breather oulets on my smoothbores gas ran out ofone set of the pods...i unhooked it (the smaller MKII petcock hose) and it stopped.....i just let it dangle and nothing dripped out for now

QUESTION????:
Untill i get the new adpt and petcock should i plug this hose???? any help would be great or a link...i have amanual daowstairs and may find my answer there too...

#2)
My vance and hines header 4 top exh to eng port tubes flange areas seem larger(see pic below) than my supertraps head pipes dia's ,and i had a tough time getting the 1/2 collers to seat inside the finned two hole exhuast collers...this stopped the ex bolts from nutting all the way in some spots,and of course it has exhaust blow by ticking/leaks...which was discouraging after hours of build up to hear it run crappy sounding
i am gonna loosen and fidge/wiggle the 4 into 1 and see if the collers can get a better squish and more threads to show.......

#3.)
The DynaIII seemed set close enough to let the bike run but i need to 12 volt test light the pick ups closer then check with a timing gun because it seems out of time some....

i am attachiong a link for my documentation on this thread for setting the timing on a dyna III

www.dynaonline.com/skins/downloads/instruct/D32-1_32-2.pdf

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 11:12 by trianglelaguna.

More
01 Aug 2010 11:01 #387428 by PLUMMEN

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
01 Aug 2010 11:56 #387437 by Patton
trianglelaguna wrote:

Problems :
so far to sort out....

#1.)
the MKII vacum petcock has a small rubber hose above the gas feed line??...when i tried hooking this to one of the two breather oulets on my smoothbores gas ran out ofone set of the pods...i unhooked it (the smaller MKII petcock hose) and it stopped.....i just let it dangle and nothing dripped out for now

QUESTION????:
Untill i get the new adpt and petcock should i plug this hose???? any help would be great or a link...i have amanual daowstairs and may find my answer there too....

Each carb holder has a vac nipple (normally used for syncing).
The vac tube between carb and petcock is supposed to attach at carb end to one of the four vac nipples, and not to one of the two float bowl vent nipples.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Aug 2010 12:14 #387440 by Patton
trianglelaguna wrote:

Problems :
so far to sort out....

#3.)
The DynaIII seemed set close enough to let the bike run but i need to 12 volt test light the pick ups closer then check with a timing gun because it seems out of time some....

At least for the time being, I would disregard the timing instructions about using the advanced timing marks on the advancer unit. And would suggest using the same timing procedure as with a points system. That is to say, at idle rpm, align the F mark with the permanent case timing mark. And assure that it's the F mark for 1/4 when the rotor dimple is facing left, as the left pick-up module helps control whichever ignition coil is connected to outside spark plugs 1 and 4.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Aug 2010 12:17 - 01 Aug 2010 12:29 #387442 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Tri.... scores one for the barn find column 79MK11
thanks patton...i gotta run to the auto parts store for a few things and that vacuum to intake nipple hose will be the first thing i fix when i get home... thank you very MUCH!!!!..and that makes sense compared to my boogered guess...lol...
...pics later...i'm starting to think i'll be riding this one for the new "riding bike" soon and re-doing the kz900 with a good sized pile of trick goodies i've been stocking up on.....;)

sending the 900's body parts off to paint - looking into a head -bore kit-swingarm send out,stripping the frame and motor and re-painting ect.......

here we go ...cart before the horse again aye...

vacuum tube and timing ...back to earth :laugh:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 12:29 by trianglelaguna.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Aug 2010 12:27 #387444 by trianglelaguna
i have a harbor frieght timing light(the cheap one too) strobe gun and it is pretty hard for me to see the marks as it flashes in the ignition housing viewing slot....also the advancer kinda wobbles in there during the strobes and if i remember right i chose to pick which mark it wobbled to more often...stupid i know it sounds...but that was last yr and i might be getting more advanced from listening to you guys..(i hope)anyways i will try again..this was on another motor too,that i experienced difficulty determining what i was seeing and difficulty just plain seeing.......

i may post some questions on timing/strobelight issues related to my attempt in a few hrs when i'm in the middle of the trying...

but i hope i can work it out and have some success....thank you ...i will confirm that the dimple is as you have been telling me to have it also first...thanks

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
01 Aug 2010 12:47 #387448 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Tri.... scores one for the barn find column 79MK11
Is your timing light the adjustable adv/retard unit or the $15 fixed light?

I have the adjustable model, no issues as for seeing the timing alignments....

Question, most of these units have arrow directional markings on the inductive clamp housings... Direction correct (towards sparkie)?

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
01 Aug 2010 12:48 - 01 Aug 2010 12:51 #387449 by Patton
#2)
My vance and hines header 4 top exh to eng port tubes flange areas seem larger(see pic below) than my supertraps head pipes dia's ,and i had a tough time getting the 1/2 collers to seat inside the finned two hole exhuast collers...this stopped the ex bolts from nutting all the way in some spots,and of course it has exhaust blow by ticking/leaks...which was discouraging after hours of build up to hear it run crappy sounding
i am gonna loosen and fidge/wiggle the 4 into 1 and see if the collers can get a better squish and more threads to show.......

The split collars look pretty rusty, which might prevent close fit against header pipe, and also interfere with fitment into the exhaust clamp recess.

Would suggest using a wire wheel on the split collars to remove all the rust and really clean them up.

If the flanged ends of the split collars persist in failing to fit snugly into the exhaust clamp recess, the flanged area may be ground down slightly to where it will more easily fit into the recess.

I suppose it's possible that the split collars were sized for a slightly smaller diameter header pipe. However, I've had no issue using the same split collars on Supertrap, V&H, and Kerker.
In my experience the problem may arise with slightly varying lengths of split collars to accommodate different brands' thicknesses of header pipe flanges.

If new split collars are needed, I believe Z1E carries them.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 12:51 by Patton.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Aug 2010 12:53 #387450 by trianglelaguna
Well bike project canceled until tomorrow......supplies yes....work on bikes no!!!

Amy called and is getting off work early, it's date day...oh well...go hit the cannery row and wharfs and relax some....huge battleship in the bay on my ride yesterday,see if i can get some pics

plus monday is better for revving a kz1000 with header than sun afternoons are anyways in my country setting....

thanks for the help...

next on tool list is a better timing gun and some j.c whitney carburetor sync gauges and sync tool....

enjoy the day guys...

p.s my tomato plants are six feet tall and it is not even our hot months.... nice fragrant basil locks hanging in the kitchen and yellow squash like footballs on the vines...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife