Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff

More
10 May 2010 00:33 #366959 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
Old Man Rock wrote:

Dutch... Larry turned me onto the site location for the primary tube bullets... Interesting design concept so please share your findings most fefinitely...

Can't wait to see the Dyno results on that mid range...

Thanks and keep them images coming,

OMR

I don't know if there's any huge gains to be had from the bullets, but it makes sense to have a smooth transition when you think about flow. Besides that, from a fabrication point of view, it's a nice clean solution to join the pipes in the center inside this style collector. You are cramming four pipes into a collector and there is nothing in the center of them. The alternatives are a big blob weld, or a star shaped flat plate. These things just made sense to me.

I can't wait to finish it, but I have to be patient. I welded some simple stuff this week but it's still tough. After three weeks I can't really bend my knee all that well yet and it's hard to control the throttle. It's like learning how to drive stick all over again - no finesse :lol:

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2010 00:41 - 10 May 2010 00:43 #366960 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Kawasaki Z1 road burner - new stuff
mark1122 wrote:

I have never had 1 of these in my hands so i can only speculate. this pic came from 1 of our members who posted it in my header post. that hole it seems to be the primary . it is possible that the outer pipe is just for looks? maybe heat reduction? and i would like to know if the tail end has a dual wall as well. i should have asked at the time ?
It sounds like u may be right on the money at 2".
Your rotors look killer .B)

I think you're right Mark, it's the primary. I would be surprised if the tailpipe was double wall too, but maybe someone will chime in and enlighten us. There is no real benefit to heat reduction in that area, so yeah, I think it's likely they just thought it would look better that way. And it is a good looking pipe (the Bassani), just massive 3" all the way back to that 4" collector.

I am so stoked on those rotors. Can't wait till I get the carriers in - and hope they fit - first time out with a CAD program :whistle:

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Last edit: 10 May 2010 00:43 by dutchz.

More
10 May 2010 00:46 - 10 May 2010 00:50 #366961 by dutchz
JakeB wrote:

I scaled the image based on the assumption that the front and rear wheels are 18" and that makes the part of the collector just behind that little bump about 1.9"

That's a great tool, didn't think about it this time! I've done that to estimate stuff like fuel tank, seat and rotor sizes. I just eyeballed this one :blink:

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Last edit: 10 May 2010 00:50 by dutchz.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
10 May 2010 14:31 #367063 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Kawasaki Z1 road burner - new stuff
dutchz wrote:

JakeB wrote:

I scaled the image based on the assumption that the front and rear wheels are 18" and that makes the part of the collector just behind that little bump about 1.9"

That's a great tool, didn't think about it this time! I've done that to estimate stuff like fuel tank, seat and rotor sizes. I just eyeballed this one :blink:

what program do u use to scale the pic?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
10 May 2010 14:53 #367071 by JakeB
Replied by JakeB on topic Kawasaki Z1 road burner - new stuff
I used CorelDraw, but you could use any graphic design software that will let you draw to scale.

I just made an 18" circle and sized the pic until the wheels were the same size as the circle, then everything that is roughly the same distance from the camera as the wheel should be to "actual size." So I just made a shape that was the same height as the collector in the pic and the program told me the shape I made was 1.9" high.

1978 Z1-R

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
10 May 2010 15:17 - 10 May 2010 15:18 #367074 by mark1122
JakeB wrote:

I used CorelDraw, but you could use any graphic design software that will let you draw to scale.

I just made an 18" circle and sized the pic until the wheels were the same size as the circle, then everything that is roughly the same distance from the camera as the wheel should be to "actual size." So I just made a shape that was the same height as the collector in the pic and the program told me the shape I made was 1.9" high.

OH so simple.B)
if u know what u are doing .:lol:
Thanks

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 10 May 2010 15:18 by mark1122.

More
16 May 2010 20:28 #368427 by kzmk2
Replied by kzmk2 on topic Kawasaki Z1 road burner - new stuff
dutchz wrote:

I don't know Mark. Moriwaki makes a pipe that has small collector dia like that, actually I've seen a few high end Jap pipes that appear to have small dia collectors.

Thanks for the encouragement. The cool thing is I have some dyno charts, so we should be able to make a decent comparison!

I love the pipe it is going to look great. Speaking of small collectors check out this pipe. It is for a 900 Z-1, the collector ID is only 1.5 inches!! I believe this is a Denco.
Attachments:

More
17 May 2010 11:55 - 17 May 2010 11:56 #368537 by dutchz
Never seen a Denco (only their 2-stroke pipes). Do you have the tailpipe as well? 1.5" is tiny! The primaries look really skinny too, what is the diameter of those?

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Last edit: 17 May 2010 11:56 by dutchz.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 May 2010 13:49 - 17 May 2010 13:52 #368552 by mark1122
can u post a side pic of the whole pipe, under the following post.?B)
it would be great if u could add all of its dimentions as well. i'm triing to collect as much data on kz pipes as posible.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=2&id=271747

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 17 May 2010 13:52 by mark1122.

More
18 May 2010 06:04 #368697 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Kawasaki Z1 road burner - new stuff
That is a Denco pipe - got one on my street MKll.
1 1/2" ID headpipes, right side exit with standard meg.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
18 May 2010 10:15 #368756 by dutchz
Good looking pipe - and a clean looking bike you got there. Looks like there are no real bends behind the collector, it just angles off to the side into the meg?
Should be a good mid range pipe by design, what is you experience with this pipe Jack?

1974 Kawasaki Z1

More
18 May 2010 12:12 #368772 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Kawasaki Z1 road burner - new stuff
The Denco pipe is a great unit. It's actually straight back from the collector and the megaphone is angled upward to the passenger footpeg mount.
Interesting tab on the collector which lines up with the small pin on the MKll footpeg mount.

Best small motor pipe I've owned with great midrange. I didn't believe a small primary pipe could work like that but Dennis Dean was a genius with 4 strokes as well as the chainsaws.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B