Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue

More
16 Jul 2012 18:59 #536391 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
I agree entirely about not sticking the thing in a glass box or trailering it to a bike show once a year. IMHO bikes are meant to be ridden. But some folks end up on the other edge of the bell curve and customize their bikes to a point where they cannot be ridden because they never finish (we've seen more than a couple on this site) or because they are too impractical to be ridden comfortably or safely, so they aren't riding their bikes either. Frankly I don't see anything wrong with modding a bike that is beyond easy restoration, and some of them turn out really nice. It is only when I see someone taking a hacksaw to a rare bike (or car) or to one that is in prime condition, or when I see someone start a silly project that cannot succeed (such as grafting a watercooled Suzuki head to a KZ :blink: ) that I question their judgement. I am not suggesting either of those is the case with K.D.'s project; the '57 Corvette/Dune Buggy analogy was meant as a joke. :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2012 20:18 #536408 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
i don't like to see z1,z1r,mk11 or any of the really rare models frames cut on myself.
but there is alot of modding that can be done before you "cut up" a frame.
but what about bracing up one of the old flexi flyer z1 frames?
there is a point of discussion for ya.

peter1958,beautiful job you done with that yard art.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
16 Jul 2012 20:26 #536409 by K.D. HART
Replied by K.D. HART on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue

650ed wrote: I agree entirely about not sticking the thing in a glass box or trailering it to a bike show once a year. IMHO bikes are meant to be ridden. But some folks end up on the other edge of the bell curve and customize their bikes to a point where they cannot be ridden because they never finish (we've seen more than a couple on this site) or because they are too impractical to be ridden comfortably or safely, so they aren't riding their bikes either. Frankly I don't see anything wrong with modding a bike that is beyond easy restoration, and some of them turn out really nice. It is only when I see someone taking a hacksaw to a rare bike (or car) or to one that is in prime condition, or when I see someone start a silly project that cannot succeed (such as grafting a watercooled Suzuki head to a KZ :blink: ) that I question their judgement. I am not suggesting either of those is the case with K.D.'s project; the '57 Corvette/Dune Buggy analogy was meant as a joke. :) Ed

Ed,
I got the point and have a better understand what you are trying say now. I've seen a lot of what I'll call "good intension projects" that were never finished or looked like hell, but this is not the case. I am just wanting something suttle and tasteful, but updated.
I have a friend who has 57 chevy 4x4 that was once a mud truck and I was coned into doing the new sheet metal work and fit/finish the doors, since I used to do this kind of work years ago at a custom street rod shop. NEVER AGAIN!!! OMG what a pain to fix what 10 people before me messed up.
I have an extra motor and frame. Now's my chance to swap over updated brakes and wheels, plus all the other parts I'm missing at one time with the 1980 LTD as a donor. It just seamed like the easiest and most cost affective way to bring the 1975 Z1 frame and motor back to life. I could sell off the left over LTD parts after the swap also. Doesn't this way of looking at the problem make practical sence, or am I missing something?

More
16 Jul 2012 20:33 #536412 by peter1958

More
16 Jul 2012 20:34 #536413 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
Keep in mind that we've COMPLETELY jacked Arnold's thread. KD HART, you should start a new thread with more pictures!!!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee, peter1958

More
16 Jul 2012 20:40 - 16 Jul 2012 20:41 #536414 by K.D. HART

531blackbanshee wrote: i don't like to see z1,z1r,mk11 or any of the really rare models frames cut on myself.
but there is alot of modding that can be done before you "cut up" a frame.
but what about bracing up one of the old flexi flyer z1 frames?
there is a point of discussion for ya.

peter1958,beautiful job you done with that yard art.

leon

I don't see a need to cut the frame for the LTD parts. Shouldn't they swap over?
Will the 1980 swingarm fit the 1975 frame?
I will need more time to research the term "flexi flyer", but I assume it has something to do with installing gussets to help reduce frame flex, but that's just a guess.
I've only been at this a couple of weeks, but I'm a quick study.
I'm really interested in what parts will swap over though???
Last edit: 16 Jul 2012 20:41 by K.D. HART.

More
16 Jul 2012 20:45 #536416 by peter1958

More
16 Jul 2012 23:10 - 16 Jul 2012 23:12 #536452 by K.D. HART

mtbspeedfreak wrote: Keep in mind that we've COMPLETELY jacked Arnold's thread. KD HART, you should start a new thread with more pictures!!!

I think you are wrong sir.
I seen no reason to start another thread, when I wanted the "same" info. That seamed senseless.
To be quite honest, the info I wanted could have been given to a long time ago.
If you read through this whole thread, I was the one who was jacked because of the the bike I decided to use. Let's be honest here.

Arnold,
I am sorry though.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2012 23:12 by K.D. HART.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
16 Jul 2012 23:32 #536456 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
K.D. Nice Guns. My fav was the HK, MP5 SD A3. Sweet, and Quiet.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
17 Jul 2012 01:46 #536480 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
This was a 73 Z1, this is a seamless gas tank, has a 16" LTD mag, and a 76 KZ900 front end.
This was early 90's. Before I had a computer and new what this stuff was?
Shure was Fun!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Jul 2012 09:27 #536516 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue

650ed wrote: I just inherited an old car from good ole Uncle Fritz. I kind of like the color, but the body could use updates. I have a Sawzall, a soldering iron, and a 55 gallon drum of body putty. Is there anything else I need to make the changes I plan?

Here's what I received:

Attachment 000001.jpg not found

Here's what I plan to build it into:

Attachment 000002.JPG not found

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I liked it better before! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
17 Jul 2012 13:35 #536556 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue

K.D. HART wrote: Lol!
I can take a joke as well as the next guy, but what's so wrong with keeping the complete bike orignal and taking the extra frame and motor and updating it? I think it would look real cool with the parts I could strip off of that 80 LTD.

I'll give you $50 for the '74 tool kit if it has one.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125