Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue

More
09 Jul 2012 04:59 - 09 Jul 2012 05:01 #534784 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
Hey again,

Thax for your input. I decided not to go for the Z1 chopper bike...to many parts missing before I have it somehow complete.

Found this one instead: Kawasaki z1000 -79 ($1900 US)
Could this work as a Z1 clone ?

Sold my other project the other day to sponsor a new one :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 05:01 by Arnold.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2012 11:10 #534817 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
Alot better choice. You should be able to attach the Z1 style fuel tank and side panels relatively easy judging from your previous projects. You'll be able to sell all the stuff you don't use off that 1000.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
09 Jul 2012 13:10 #534837 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
That kz1000 seems to be some sort of a z1r having a bad hair day,not sure id cut that one up without doing some investigating. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
09 Jul 2012 14:59 #534851 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
what are the frame and engine numbers?

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
11 Jul 2012 18:31 #535303 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
Hey again,

The "green beast" was sold just before I got hold of the owner. But I agree with you...would be sad to chop up that bike. BUT...I finally bought a bike to use for base for my build.

It´s a Kawasaki Z1100 A2/St (european name) -1982...and I just love it !
It was a steel for only $ 860
The sound of the engine is amazing, the huge tank and big engine is awsome.

Will need to convert it from shaft to chain drive.

There are a lot of these around so I don´t feel to bad chopping it up...even if it will hurt a bit.
Will this do for a Z1 clone ?

Did not get the frame or engine number of the green bike.
Attachments:

More
More
11 Jul 2012 20:59 #535335 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
That looks awfully clean too! Not sure I'd chop that up...

Depending upon how detailed you want to make it, it could be quite a task to turn it into a Z1. It's a completely separate bike than the Z1s and early KZs: different frame, motor, bodywork and tank, etc. Just mounting a tail piece on that might prove difficult. I wouldn't want you to get halfway through then get fed up with the work you have left.

Either way, that's a pretty sharp looking bike! You'll be able to enjoy that for many miles as it is already!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
15 Jul 2012 11:11 - 15 Jul 2012 11:13 #536048 by K.D. HART
Replied by K.D. HART on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue

Arnold wrote: Hey all,
Need some help with a project I´m about to start.

My goal is to build a nice looking Z1 wiht suspension from a modern sportsbike (eg. Yamaha R1 -99)
I have started collection parts for the suspension but have not yet found a good Z1 to rebuild.

Came across an add and for a Kawasaki 900 Z1 -75 rebuilt to a chopper. (see pic)
I can buy it for 1.700 $US and the only useful parts would be the engine and the title.

Questions:

-Can I buy a frame as similar as possible to the Z1 or KZ900 and swop over the engine to that frame and take the build from there ?

- Any ideas of what frame would be most suitable ?

The reason I want to do this is because a Z1 frame is very rare and costly. (I live in Sweden)
And since I´ll modify it anyway I might as well chop up a not so expensive frame and not destroy a original frame that somebody else can use.

The frame have to fit well (with some modifications of cause ) with a Z1 tank, seat and side covers

What do you say ?

I have been looking for this same info. My buddy's dad passed on 2 weeks ago and I asked if he still had any of his old bikes. Long story short, I ended up with a complete 1975 Z1 and another 1975 Z1 frame and motor. They are FAR from cherry, but I remember him riding this bike when I was a kid and want to bring it back to life. Besides, the bike only has 13000 miles on it. I have been a metal fabricator/Millwright for 20 years, but haven't really been on a bike since I left for the service at a young age and my mother sold my toys that scared her while I was gone.
Anyway, I don't know crap about what parts I need to update this bike, but I've read this thread and am really not sure what will work and what won't? I'll try to hit some of the high points I don't have any knowledge of YET.
I see alot of you guys with avitars with custom bikes from this era, but with updated tires and suspensions. What "EXACTLY" do I need to do/buy/build for this updated look?
I'm not trying to spend a ton on this. I'd like to buy these parts used from ebay.

I want Mag rims. (double front disk brake and rear disk)

1. What year/model parts do I need? KZ/LTD
2. Do I need the swingarm and front forks also?

I seen someone said a shaft drive swingarm would work and it was also wider?

3. Will a sprocket hub fit into a shaft drive rim?
4. Is't the swingarm off set and shorter on one side?

Front forks (My old front fork need a facelift that's about 20 years overdo)

5. If I found a complete KZ/LTD front end, would the forks fit my Z1?

Or, how are you guy's making these bikes? I've wanted a bike like this for years.

These are my bikes. I pressure washed the mold off of them and just stahed them in my little shed for now.

6. I read that the 1975 Z1 didn't have a chain oiler. My bike has one?
Last edit: 15 Jul 2012 11:13 by K.D. HART.

More
More
15 Jul 2012 11:42 #536054 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Kawasaki 900 Z1 Project -Frame issue
You might want to think about changing that bike around. It is worth a lot more money in original shape and it doesn't look like it would take much to get it there. Take a look at what 74 z1900.s are selling for then look at what hacked up bikes are going for.

More
15 Jul 2012 12:23 #536065 by K.D. HART

peter1958 wrote: thats a 74 z1

Okay, I thought the 5 74 on the neck was the year it was made. Then it would be a 1975. I see now.

More
15 Jul 2012 12:36 #536068 by K.D. HART

peter1958 wrote: You might want to think about changing that bike around. It is worth a lot more money in original shape and it doesn't look like it would take much to get it there. Take a look at what 74 z1900.s are selling for then look at what hacked up bikes are going for.

I understand what you are saying, but I never plan on selling these bikes. It's just something I want for myself. I also understand that I'm new on this forum and I could be a person with little to no skills. I have skills, I just need some direction. I have been designing and building stuff for years. As a matter of fact, I built a 9mm AK test weapon last summer for that that guy on T.V. down in LA. You know who I'm talking about? This is a test video. I am "HART SYSTEMS".