Speed Triple Single Sided Swingarm Installation

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
22 Mar 2010 20:17 #355526 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
A close up of the left side

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
23 Mar 2010 06:44 #355583 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
porchev914 wrote:

Those following know I have been working on new rear motor mounts. Mount #1 was a failure due to my attempt to cheat. #2 is pictured- tell me what you think, and if you see a way to improve it!

So u made 1 tab that mounts to the motor longer, in order to get the main beam to line up with the frame bolts.
At least i think thats what i see.
I think thats Fantastic. Smart and simple.
Id get u to make me 1, but u would need a straight frame for a model.:laugh: Just kiddin, not like my frame is straight.
Nice job.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
23 Mar 2010 07:28 #355597 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
is it going to crowd your chain run?
was i correct in reading that you are thinking that you are going to need a 1.500 inch offset countershaft sprocket?
that is almost out of the frame,or well into the frame rail isn't it :evil:?while you are doing motor mount mods might be a good time to get that chain run ironed out.
for all i know you already got it figured out and are just waiting to show us :unsure: .
keep postin,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2010 08:59 #355611 by porchev914
I could make you one Mark, but your right, I'd need a straight frame to make something to fit your bike :laugh:

Very perceptive Leon- 1.5" offset would indeed put the chain in my frame. The only reason it's not in this case is the frame widening I performed to fit the swingarm ;) BUT, asthetics aside, that is the one concern I have with this motor mount is crowding the chain run. I may have to remove the tabe and nut on the left side and replace it with a thicker tab that can be threaded. That, I think, would eliminate the possiblity of chain interference. Thank you guys for the input :cheer:
Adam

FRANKEN Z!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2010 21:33 #355752 by porchev914
And here we have the completion of the motor mounts. Not exciting stuff, but this is the end of the frame modifications for the single sided swingarm. I removed the engine cases for welding and a better shot of the new motor mounts in place.

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2010 21:35 #355753 by porchev914
In that last pic its easy to see the new upper motor mount bushings tacked in place. Those will get full welded to the frame, and also welded to replacement frame gussets. Here a pic of just the upper mount.

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2010 21:38 #355754 by porchev914
Last but not least is the bottom mount. Frankly, I just replaced the stock cross brace with a new tube, then made a couple of tabs and welded them to the tube.

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2010 21:49 - 23 Mar 2010 21:52 #355757 by porchev914
So my friends, that almost concludes the frame modifications I felt necessary to mount a Triumph Speed Triple single sided swingarm in my KZ1000 frame. When I aquire a rear shock I'll update this thread with the mounting, but that part is standard for any mono shock build, and there are hundereds of those. Nothing special there. Now I will move on to structurally reinforcing the frame. I figured that there are probably hundereds of threads on people reinforcing their frames, so Is there anyone following this that really wants me to document the reinforcing mods? Or is that part of the build just ho-hum, been there done that crap?

FRANKEN Z!
Last edit: 23 Mar 2010 21:52 by porchev914.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
24 Mar 2010 07:19 #355801 by mark1122
porchev914 wrote:

I could make you one Mark, but your right, I'd need a straight frame to make something to fit your bike :laugh:

:lol: :laugh:

the one concern I have with this motor mount is crowding the chain run. I may have to remove the tabe and nut on the left side and replace it with a thicker tab that can be threaded. That, I think, would eliminate the possiblity of chain interference. Thank you guys for the input :cheer:
Adam

:

I dont see how u would have a chain to mount clearance issue? this mount is what would eliminate it on my bike, and has on Irishwills. i dont know what u mean about the change u describe either?

"I may have to remove the tab and nut on the left side and replace it with a thicker tab that can be threaded. "

Personally, i would enjoy following your post as u add the bracing.Did u read and understand where the front neck bracing went in the article that Tri posted?
Please continue to post, i need my fix.:woohoo:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
24 Mar 2010 07:40 #355804 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
I'm with mark. You ain't gettin off that easy. We at least need to see some pictures of what you have done. I know that it does slow you down when trying to document every step of the way. Heck when I did the fork rebuild, the first leg took like 1.5 hrs. Do one step, clean hands, take picture, discard picture, clean camera lens, take new picture, repeat. Second leg took all of 20 min. without all of the documentation.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
24 Mar 2010 08:10 #355811 by mark1122
testarossa wrote:

I'm with mark. You ain't gettin off that easy. We at least need to see some pictures of what you have done. I know that it does slow you down when trying to document every step of the way. Heck when I did the fork rebuild, the first leg took like 1.5 hrs. Do one step, clean hands, take picture, discard picture, clean camera lens, take new picture, repeat. Second leg took all of 20 min. without all of the documentation.

Thanks again for the post, your time is appreciated.B)

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2010 09:13 #355819 by porchev914
[/quote]:

I dont see how u would have a chain to mount clearance issue? this mount is what would eliminate it on my bike, and has on Irishwills. i dont know what u mean about the change u describe either?

"I may have to remove the tab and nut on the left side and replace it with a thicker tab that can be threaded. "
[/quote]
What I was thinking was that a thicker piece of steel for the tab would allow me to tuck the tab in closer to the frame. I'm not going to worry about it for now though. I will document the for you guys though ;) last night I stripped the frame again and started cutting off the old brackets on the subframe. Tomorrow I'll start laying out the frame gusseting in the swingarm area. I think I will start a new thread for it though, this one is getting a bit long! B)

FRANKEN Z!