Speed Triple Single Sided Swingarm Installation

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
20 Mar 2010 22:59 #355087 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
:huh: :unsure: :dry: :blink: ;)

FYI, I'm gonna ride this thing this summer (one and two handed :P ). I spoke with irishwill last night and he's working on gullwing triples with stock KZ fork offset for the 04-07 GSXR 1000 forks. That means the option of the stock ride hight and stock turning radius! I'm gonna wait for one of his prototypes so I'm sorry josh, but I won't have a roller by the end of the month :( Hopefully May/June. All that means is that I'll pick up the front end and go ahead with the remainder of the frame work and the engine in the interim. But thanks for caring guys B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
22 Mar 2010 07:39 #355369 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
testarossa wrote:

mark1122 wrote:

porchev914 wrote:

Thanks Mark! I suppose I'm overly critical when looking at my own work. I'll check it with a plumb bob, but I still think the wheel is offset to the right. Maybe not alot, but not on center. Its not enough to make it handle funny, and like you and Josh said, there aren't that many people who'll notice from an asthetic point of view. But yeah, it does look effing sick! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Who's BOB? Why do u have his plumbs?:woohoo:

Oh Yea , the new rub on plumb gelly.:woohoo:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
22 Mar 2010 07:42 #355371 by mark1122
porchev914 wrote:

:huh: :unsure: :dry: :blink: ;)

FYI, I'm gonna ride this thing this summer (one and two handed :P ). I spoke with irishwill last night and he's working on gullwing triples with stock KZ fork offset for the 04-07 GSXR 1000 forks. That means the option of the stock ride hight and stock turning radius! I'm gonna wait for one of his prototypes so I'm sorry josh, but I won't have a roller by the end of the month :( Hopefully May/June. All that means is that I'll pick up the front end and go ahead with the remainder of the frame work and the engine in the interim. But thanks for caring guys B)

That sounds awesome. cant waite to see the gullwing tree.

Leon, are u reading this? I know u will be salivating over this one bud. lol.
Porche, do u have a gusset plan? if u need any pics, or info , i can send u a file.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Mar 2010 07:58 #355375 by porchev914
In an indirect way, you have already sent me those files Mark! A couple months ago Josh forwarded the sanctuary frame info and the Tony Foal stuff. I believe he got it from you ;) If I were really ambitious I would buy foals book......maybe on the next Z. A Ducati 1098 swingarm would look killer on a GpZ1100 B)

FRANKEN Z!

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
22 Mar 2010 08:54 #355386 by mark1122
Thats great! yes i sent some gusset files to Josh , your all set then. fab away, my freind.

A Ducati 1098 swingarm would look killer on a GpZ1100 :woohoo: B)
U are such a tease.
excuse me while i take a time out, to wipe off my key board.:silly:

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
22 Mar 2010 09:06 #355389 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
I had to "Pay it forward", so I sent Adam everything that you sent me. You were so industrious that I got two different copys of the Sanctuary frame in two different emails.

I think that I would be perfectly happy with a 1098 swingarm attached to a Ducati.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Mar 2010 09:31 #355398 by porchev914
I would be perfectly happy with a Duc 1098 as well. In the absense of 10K to buy a used one though, I was thinking 1500 for the GPZ and 500 for the Duc SSSA. Another 1K for a TIG box, and on and on. I just like making stuff ;) But if I had the cash, I'd buy a Duc. Hella sexy machines IMO B)

FRANKEN Z!

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
22 Mar 2010 10:13 #355404 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
really nice...i know i tease the shit outta you guys...but you know i'm only trying at rallying the boys....hey ,really it is "THE" build i watch right now.....

there is a zx-12r front complete around for 600 and i almost went in to wanting it...all stout and gold ...i guees in time some front or rear will fall in my hands and i will wanna try a build too........

i wanna put a bigger steering neck tube...bigger tappered bearings....and try and make a backbone stressed member frame from it ....folks have built em...egli...ect....

i am just not very motivated...

anyways great build...top notch on the club swingarm....TITS

check out the vintage builders i will scan onto the magazine articles post in 5 mintues or so...

peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2010 10:19 #355405 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
I'm curious...would you mind posting what you spent for each component so far? I.e. Swing arm, wheel, suspension link (or are you still searching?)...or did I miss that post?

More
22 Mar 2010 11:51 #355438 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
build is coming along great!
i like to watch someone work with what they have.just goes to show you don't have to have a tig to build a kicka$$ bike.an intelligent man with some fitting skills and a mig can do just fine.
i would have cut the front of the arm off and welded a new pivot tube in (i think),but i have a tig so that affects my decisions.i like the way you did it tho because that wider pivot will help resist twisting.when i built my swingarm i did not want to modify the frame at all so i made the swingarm to fit a z1r in the front and an r1 in the rear worked out great.you will never notice the offset of your rear wheel.mine is 3/8's to the right and i have takin my hands off the bars running 70mph and it tracks straight as a string.plus i got away with a 3/8's offset c/s sprocket with 520 o-ring chain.

mark,
yes i heard what ben said about the gullwing upper triples :ohmy: .i have his first gen upper on the way for some busa legs and stock gixxer lower for the knuckledraggin 1075 slammed pro-streeter i am building.i need to go measure the zx12r legs and see if they are the same as the gixxer/busa o.d.if so i may need his gullwing tree for the z1r front-end conversion.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Mar 2010 14:19 #355463 by porchev914
Thanks alot Tri- To be perfectly honest though, I think this is the first time you've posted in my thread, so I have not been exposed to any of your ribbing....yet.

Leon, man, that was a hell of a compliment. I understand your point of view on modding the swinger instead of the frame, irishwill shared the same sentiment. In the absence of the proper equiptment though, I'm doing what I can with what I got :P It's good to hear the wheel offset won't effect anything, but due to the width of the Triumph arm, and how close I did keep the wheel to centerline, I'll need about a 1.25" offset counter :blink: That is one item I do not have the tools to manufacture, so I'll have to order a custom offset from someone. A consequence of my build is dealing with these compromises.

Double D: I have dropped cost numbers here and there, but I never put a comprehensive to-date cost list, so here you go:
08 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple Swingarm complete w/half the shock linkage and pivot bolt- $230
08 Triumph rear wheel- $200
Remaining half of shock linkage- $30
05 R6 reasets (incomplete)- $40
Irishwills outboard bearing support- $110 shipped
Triumph rear shock- $100 est. (not yet aquired)
Complete Front end- $600 est. (not yet aquired)

FRANKEN Z!

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2010 14:21 #355464 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
Thanks! That's gives the noodle some numbers to mull over for future projects!