Speed Triple Single Sided Swingarm Installation

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
17 Mar 2010 08:29 #354017 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
You read my mind Mark, as that was EXACTLY what I was going to do! Great minds think alike :laugh: B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2010 08:42 #354023 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
friggin inspiring is what it is!!!

its still cold here but it makes me want to go dust off the welding helmet and finish some projects.
keep up the good work....all these little snags and there solutions will be what your most proud of when its finished!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Mar 2010 14:16 #354071 by porchev914
Amen to that my friend! I'm lucky I live in a climate where a cold winters night is 40 degrees. Today its 85 and last night I was cutting on the lathe in shorts and flip flops B)

And your right Ben, I can see the bikers at the Rock Store checking out my ride, and me explaining how all the real work was in xyz....... :lol:

FRANKEN Z!

More
17 Mar 2010 17:32 #354110 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
i like it when they arnt quite sure why "this" old kaw looks so cool>>>>you can see the gears turning in there head!
haha

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 Mar 2010 17:32 #354111 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
porchev914 wrote:

You read my mind Mark, as that was EXACTLY what I was going to do! Great minds think alike :laugh: B)

Be careful what u say, my wife says i'm loosing my mind:P

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 Mar 2010 17:36 #354113 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
irishwill wrote:

friggin inspiring is what it is!!!
.all these little snags and there solutions will be what your most proud of when its finished!

Well said Ben.. So true,B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
17 Mar 2010 17:51 #354117 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
porchev914 wrote:

Amen to that my friend! I'm lucky I live in a climate where a cold winters night is 40 degrees. Today its 85 and last night I was cutting on the lathe in shorts and flip flops B)

And your right Ben, I can see the bikers at the Rock Store checking out my ride, and me explaining how all the real work was in xyz....... :lol:

The first time one of those blue steel chips falls in between your toes will be the last time that you wear flip flops while running your lathe.:ohmy:

That's a cool moment when someone who is observant enough to realize what you have starts asking questions. Well said Ben.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
17 Mar 2010 18:10 #354125 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
porchev914 wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

Oh yea....push frame apart and every formerly parallel mount point just went out of wack:S

As long as you're at it, you may as well address the 2 middle motor mounts. They're going to need spacers made up as well.

If you get the motor in position before you do the swingarm finalization, it may prove to be helpful.

Keep plugging away! I'm eager to see this bike completed.

Larry C

Thank you Larry, it makes me feel better knowing professionals are keeping an eye on me ;) I actually had the engine bolted in the frame during the widening specifically to ensure the front and bottom mounts did not stray. Also all widening took place aft of the center mounts. I did get some 3/8 in aluminum plate for odds and ends. I'm workin on it Larry, keep the motivation comming! B)

I can't figure how you widened it without those two motor mounts bein affected.

I cut mine in the middle of the lower rear frame cross member and addedin a 15mm section. My lower middle motor mounts both needed spacers between the frame and the engine afterward. :)

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Mar 2010 20:44 #354169 by porchev914
irishwill wrote:

i like it when they arnt quite sure why "this" old kaw looks so cool>>>>you can see the gears turning in there head!
haha

I CAN'T WAIT for that moment! :laugh:

FRANKEN Z!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Mar 2010 20:49 - 17 Mar 2010 20:50 #354172 by porchev914
OK Larry, I just realized I didn't really explain in the thread how I widened my frame without altering the front and center motor mounts. I did explain it to Mark in a PM, so I thought I had covered it here :blush: my apologies gentlemen. In this pic you can see where I cut the frame aft of the center motor mount. I cut the frame from the inside, through to the wall of the outside of the tube and stopped. That way the tube was still connected by a small section of the wall, but free to spread to the outside without too much effort. This same cut was made on the opposite bottom tube-

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2010 20:50 by porchev914.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Mar 2010 20:55 #354174 by porchev914
Then I made identical cuts on the backbone down tubes. These cuts were also from the inside to the outside. With these 4 cuts, I was easily able to widen the frame as much as I needed and be able to control how much was widened on each side. Again, apologies that the frame is already welded up in the pics, but the smoothly ground spots are the cut/weld locations

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Mar 2010 21:03 #354176 by porchev914
Now, the first 4 cuts allowed me to widen the frame as much as needed without disturbing the front and center motor mounts, but they failed to account for the "y" shape the pivot area would now have, sooooooo, 4 more cuts in the frame tubes :ohmy: These cuts were made directly above and below the factory swingarm pivot gussets, and they were made from the outside in. That way I could bring the pivot area back to a parallel geometry. Once I got it close, I tacked in the new pivot bushings, then smacked it around with a few hammers until all my levels, lasers and straight edges jived then tacked the frame cuts. Then I fully welded the pivot bushings, doulble checked nothing went astray, then welded up the frame. So that, my friend is how I widened the frame without changing the front/center motor mounts..... in a nutshell ;)

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: !Seymore