Speed Triple Single Sided Swingarm Installation

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
13 Mar 2010 23:26 #353221 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
Ha, it just dawned on me that the tail is going to get raised up a bit, and that will change the look quite a bit. So, I suppose these pics were premature, but I was proud of my first swingarm swap so far ;)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2010 23:33 - 13 Mar 2010 23:35 #353223 by Dave Sloan
Replied by Dave Sloan on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
what wheel are you going to use? What size tyre?
There are a few blokes over here in Oz that used a car mag wheel like this zook
www.extremecreations.com.au/gallery.asp?View=suz

here is the build story

streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TO...10&SearchTerms=venom

Z650B2 - Injected
Last edit: 13 Mar 2010 23:35 by Dave Sloan.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
13 Mar 2010 23:41 #353224 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
porchev914 wrote:

I know it's an optical illusion since I'm missing the rear wheel and the Triumph arm is a little longer than the stocker, but it looks a little.....short in that pic. Now I'll need to source the shock and linkage while I fab up the upper and lower rear motor mounts B) Not to mention a rear wheel......

Oh yeah! That a milestone picture there. Just wait until you get that R-1 front end and Speed Triple wheel under her. I challenge you to get a rolling chassis by the end of March. You gonna keep it green? Congrats bro, looks good!

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2010 23:49 #353225 by porchev914
Dave Sloan wrote:

what wheel are you going to use? What size tyre?
There are a few blokes over here in Oz that used a car mag wheel like this zook
www.extremecreations.com.au/gallery.asp?View=suz

here is the build story

streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TO...10&SearchTerms=venom

Sweet Dave, thanks for th info links. It'll take some time to read through that guys build thread! To answer your questions, I was going to keep it simple and use a stock Speed Triple 1050 wheel and the stock 180 tire.

FRANKEN Z!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Mar 2010 00:01 #353226 by porchev914
testarossa wrote:

porchev914 wrote:

I know it's an optical illusion since I'm missing the rear wheel and the Triumph arm is a little longer than the stocker, but it looks a little.....short in that pic. Now I'll need to source the shock and linkage while I fab up the upper and lower rear motor mounts B) Not to mention a rear wheel......

Oh yeah! That a milestone picture there. Just wait until you get that R-1 front end and Speed Triple wheel under her. I challenge you to get a rolling chassis by the end of March. You gonna keep it green? Congrats bro, looks good!

Thanks Josh, the words of encouragement are uplifting :) The color will not stay green, in fact, I had this crazy idea that since I'm a pilot, I would paint it like a WW2 fighter. Complete with the ASAF white star and stripes on the side covers, two tone paint, checkered flag around the front third of the tank and 2 thin white stripes on the wheel spokes to mimic the white stripes on an aircraft propeller. :pinch: As far as your challenge goes, I will unfortunately fail :ohmy: Why you ask? Well, the queen is due to have our third baby March 30th. Chances are the little bundle of sleep deprivation will be a week or so early, whick only gives me two weeks!!! But if you want to make that challenge for the end of April, then you're on!

FRANKEN Z!

• testarossa
  • User
More
14 Mar 2010 00:26 #353229 by testarossa
Sounds good, just don't go all OCC and weld drop tanks and shit to it. MMM P-51 KZ1000! I love Warbirds. Wish I could fly-I'd love to open the taps on that good 'ole Merlin engine. Hope you don't loose focus when the baby arrives. Are the others old enough to help out?

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Mar 2010 00:51 #353231 by porchev914
testarossa wrote:

Sounds good, just don't go all OCC and weld drop tanks and shit to it. MMM P-51 KZ1000! I love Warbirds. Wish I could fly-I'd love to open the taps on that good 'ole Merlin engine. Hope you don't loose focus when the baby arrives. Are the others old enough to help out?

WHAT!?! No OCC Crap? The exhaust was going to be a rotating tailgunner turret too...damn, shot that idea down before it got off the ground. :laugh: But you're right on the money, a N.A.P51 is my inspiration. I was thinking about the undertail exhaust, and how I could have 6 little outlets on each side comming out at a 45 deg. angle ala P51 :silly: I'd love to firewall one and see all 60" of manifold pressure come alive :woohoo: I could fly one for a half an hour for $1500, theres a guy that has one at my airport...but 1.5K is a lot of scratch for a half hour of fun :angry:

The girls are kinda old enough, but not really- 6 and 4, so we'll have our work cut out for us the next couple years :blink: I won't loose focus so much as it'll be diverted, but I'll be leaning on you all for motivation then more than ever B)

FRANKEN Z!

• testarossa
  • User
More
14 Mar 2010 07:42 #353261 by testarossa
Does the guy get any customers at that price? I'm guessing that he does this to keep the lookey-loos away.

I like the exhuast idea. I thought my MV Augusta idea was extravagent.

At least at 6 and 4 you don't have to tend to them every waking hour. However, I bet you get to play referee all weekend long. I should know, mine are 5 and 7.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Mar 2010 11:24 #353316 by porchev914
It's not a business- He's a private owner and said thats what it costs hime to fly. I'm sure he's fudging some extra money into that figure, but those planes are expensive to fly. Hell, just the fuel is $250 an hour, insurance is atronomical, the engines are supposed to be rebuilt every 400 or 500 hours (at a cost of $75-100K or someting like that) and so on and so on. So, I can't fault the guy for trying to cover his expenses taking people for rides.

And yeah, we spend more time refferreing the girls than them playing nicely together, but thats one of the costs of parenthood, isn't it?

Your MV agusta idea was great, I just cant spend $600 on an oem take off exhaust, thats why I thought I could make the mock 12 cylinder "manifolds" myself. In reality, I'll probably hold off on the fancy exhaust and concentrate on structural and essential components and systems B)

FRANKEN Z!

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
14 Mar 2010 16:29 #353403 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
Congratulations on the coming, new baby .B)
The bike looks great.
Is anyone else finding the pics look well lit while loading, and then go dark, after completely loaded, or is it just at my end?:S

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Mar 2010 16:46 #353407 by porchev914
I have spent the morning cleaning up all the welds to the frame and welding in the new lower engine mount cross brace :)

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Mar 2010 16:47 #353410 by porchev914
mark1122 wrote:

Congratulations on the coming, new baby .B)
The bike looks great.
Is anyone else finding the pics look well lit while loading, and then go dark, after completely loaded, or is it just at my end?:S

I just took this out in the sunlight Mark. How does this pic look on your screen?

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments: