Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 18 Jan 2012 13:55 #498655

• jydog
  • jydog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
I second that notion!
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 18 Jan 2012 14:33 #498660

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 206

jydog wrote: Steell, I am pretty sure you can only do sequential injection with a 2 cylinder with microquirt v3 since it only hase 2 individual banks.

I have a MS2 set up for sequential ignition and injection for a four cylinder, but you can't do it with a MicroSquirt. Seems like sequential two cylinder would work on the MicroSquirt though.

On the MS2 you just need to add a few components and run MS2extra code.

The full size MS boards are much more configurable than the Micro, and a lot cheaper, that's why I've been using them.

I was talking about MS2 and MicroSquirt (at different times) in my last post, so it was kind of confusing :blush:

On a different topic (so I don't get confusing again)

MicroSquirt also has dual channel ignition logic level outputs

Logic level being 5 volt output, what are you using as a coil driver?
KD9JUR

Last edit: by steell.

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 18 Jan 2012 15:46 #498677

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797

Boostable wrote:

531blackbanshee wrote: thanks for documenting this here jydog.

i am one of the people following along that has had an interets in f.i. but nowhere near the sack to try and jump in and set one up.

so seeing you guys do it is helping build my confidence.

some :lol: .

leon

How about this Leon.. You weld in our new gas caps and we will help you setup the EFI.. ;)

hey you guy's know i am all about helping out. :lol:

shipping the tanks back and forth is my only worry :sick: .

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 18 Jan 2012 17:28 #498690

• Boostable
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13

jydog wrote: Is the 81 KZ1000 ignition considered CDI? if so I can not do this it will damage the optisolator. Somebody please chime in if you know the answer to this.

Negative ghost rider... (someone please correct me if im wrong here) :)
~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 19 Jan 2012 06:00 #498838

• Dave Sloan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
No I dont believe that they are cdi. They run of of a vr sensor with a ignitor unit.
I ran ignition using one of the std vr pick ups using a machined gown 13 tooth chain sprocket with one tooth removed (12-1). Bike ran but not great, had issues with cranking and a miss at 3500rpm.
Enventually deceided that the problem was that a bike does not turn over at a constant speed due to the starter clutches being a friction clutch.
Since the Arrtu H has come up with an ignition set up that he has used successfully on his gs100turbo , and a gpz750 turbo with great results. He essentially uses magnets set into a wheel with one of them reversed which is read by a second sensor that is mounted the oppsite way round. He is a very clever guy B) Also makes a bike friendly version or a ms that is slightly bigger than a microsquirt but has added features on board like a built in map sensor etc.

Have a look here -

oldskoolperformance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1664&start=28

Im with Steve on using the full size ms ecu, a you can fix it if you dont blow it up to bad and B youlearn a lot more about them when you build it yourself and c im a cheap skate ;) and love to say I did it myself.
Z650B2 - Injected

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 19 Jan 2012 10:12 #498851

• Boostable
  • User
I plan on "should read will attempt" using the stock or dyna pickups and running the MS in Dual Spark mode and drive the coils directly from that. I should be able to use the stock advancer locked down or a button.

By all accounts I think it should work like a champ, but I have yet to test it at this point. Next week I will hook the pickups up on the bench and use the MS program to look at the inputs and see what it looks like. Will post back my results.
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 19 Jan 2012 10:20 #498852

• jydog
  • User

Boostable wrote: I plan on "should read will attempt" using the stock or dyna pickups and running the MS in Dual Spark mode and drive the coils directly from that. I should be able to use the stock advancer locked down or a button.

By all accounts I think it should work like a champ, but I have yet to test it at this point. Next week I will hook the pickups up on the bench and use the MS program to look at the inputs and see what it looks like. Will post back my results.[/quote

Can you point me to the instructions you are using and what MS firmware are you using?
I think you and I are both using micro squirt v3. I think picking up the signal before the coils is a better idea. I haven't been able to devote enough brain power to it lately. Work is robbing me of that and time

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 19 Jan 2012 12:00 #498877

• Boostable
  • User
Sure.. no problem.

Start here... www.microsquirt.info/dualspark.htm

Input 1 triggers one injection channel (INJ1) and one ignition channel (Output 1), the other input (Input 2) triggers the other coil (Output 2) and injector bank (INJ2).

Section 1.a. and the input notes should give you most of the info you are looking for.

Also, what tuning software are you running? Megatune or TunerStudio.

TunerStudio has some great features including the ignition logger. You can see what your crank triggers are doing and see what the MS see's.

tunerstudio.com/index.php/tuner-studio

As another option you can use this software to look at the triggers and see what the MS is seeing. This should tell us if the standard pickups will work.

www.microsquirt.info/tachref.htm
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 21 Jan 2012 12:44 #499202

• jydog
  • User
Anyone know the offset of an 84 gpz crank sensor to tdc? It should be the same as a j motor. Or is it even offset?
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 23 Jan 2012 07:44 #499566

• jydog
  • User
Boostable, Ive been messing with this for a few days and I am able to pick up a signal from the tachref program but it shows up all over the place in the tuner studio. I am using the dual trigger with wasted spark setup. I think there is some kind of conditioning needed for the vr sensors. On the regular megasquirts you can adjust to compensate but on the sealed microsquirts I don't think it is possible. Have you read up on any of this. I haven't found one bike successful using the dual trigger setup have you? My crank trigger offset is aprox 25 BTDC if anyone needs this info.

I switched to msextra code. It makes more sense to me.

From reading this it dosent look like it is ready for use yet.

www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Twin_Trigger.htm

vr conditioning
www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/vrsens...asquirt_vr_index.htm
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Last edit: by jydog.

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 23 Jan 2012 11:39 #499593

• Boostable
  • User
Interesting... What type of signal where you seeing? Common peaks, or just erratic? I have not had the opportunity to even test this out yet, so your the eyes on this one. I had not seen the VR conditioning article before, and I can certainly see the need. However in our application I wouldn't think it would be as complicated.

Post a screen shot of the signal if you can. If the amplitude is fairly stable then cleaning it up should be pretty straight forward. A simple 555 timer circuit may just do the trick. But we need to see the output before we can make that assumption.

This week I will hook up the 900 (dyna S) and see what I can see...
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Last edit: by Boostable.

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 23 Jan 2012 11:55 #499595

• jydog
  • User
Are you using the firmware that came on your microsqurit? B&G 3.77? there is a new version out. I switched to MSEXTRA. Im uploading a video of the tachref program should be up in a few min.
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Last edit: by jydog.