Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 23 Jan 2012 12:20 #499598

• Boostable
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Yep still running the stock code.. Will need to get it updated.
~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 23 Jan 2012 12:40 #499603

• jydog
  • jydog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Boostable, I noticed your post above shows direct driving coils. Its not possible with microsquirt v3.0 it is logic level only.

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Last edit: by jydog.

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 23 Jan 2012 14:10 #499614

• Boostable
  • User
You are correct on the coil driving. I think the V2 had a jumper that allowed selection of one of the other, but I don't believe that V3 has that.

Your output does not look that bad at all. I went back and looked at the documentation and it appears that the V3 has a VR conditioner built into the hardware. (I need to research further). If that is indeed the case the pickups should work. It would just be an issue of triggering either on rising or falling edge.

I need to get some testing going myself, so we have things to compare with one another... I will work on that tonight.

Jack
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Last edit: by Boostable.

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 24 Jan 2012 01:48 #499747

• Boostable
  • User
Ok, here we go..

I hooked up the Dyna S tonight and ran several test and sequences. I am uploading the files now, but here is the just of it.

I setup the Dyna S with just a single trigger at first to see how it looked. I ran tachref and logged it and it looked real good. Good form, good spacing.

I then hooked up the second input and ran another test. I change the color of the second trigger in the log to green to make it easier to read. The log and output table looked really good. The inputs appear to be firing 180 out just as they should.

I see know reason why your pickups or stock KZ pickups for the matter should not be firing the same.

It took me awhile tonight, but here is the info on the new input setup in V3. Not sure if you have seen this or not, but its worth a read if you haven't.

www.useasydocs.com/theory/vr.htm

As soon as the videos are done I will post them here.... at this rate that will be tomorrow.. lol

I MAY put the MS on the 900 to just see if I can get it to run as we suspect. Hell I already have it torn apart right.. :)
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 24 Jan 2012 08:05 #499770

• jydog
  • User
]Jack, how are you going to drive your coils? I may give up this route and go with firing off the negative of the coil and do fuel only. The reason is, the stock kawasaki ignition curve is pretty good for a natually asperated engine and I am just adding un-needed complexity to the system to gain control over the advance. I'll need this when I do a turbo but for now I just need to get it on the road. So Here is my plan..

I got this off one of the msruns.com sites - thanks to Matt_GSXR and EWflyer

So you'll run a line off of the coil negative line and put the diode (IN4003) on it with the banded end toward the coil. The run 12volt power through a 1K ohm resistor and make the top branches of the "y" with these two lines. Then extend the bottom line of the "y" into the Microsquirt's OPTOIN+ line. The OPTOIN- line gets connected to ground.

[img]lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4MCXG9VzJKs/T...eed_trigger.jpg[/img
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 24 Jan 2012 09:42 #499778

• Boostable
  • User
Finally got these uploaded.

Here is the single pickup..

Here is both pickups..

~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 24 Jan 2012 09:54 #499780

• jydog
  • User
Nice! that is what it is supposed to look like. Ill make you a deal. You work on the ignition side and Ill work on the fuel aned we will divide and conqure this thing. Im about 80% done wiring just need a return on my tank and a good trigger signal.
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 24 Jan 2012 11:06 #499791

• Boostable
  • User
That sounds like a plan!

I will probably use the Bosch BIP373 for an igniter setup. Its small and cheap and you can stack them on a single heat sink and tuck them away.

For experimentation I may play with a stock igniter as well in case anyone wants to go that route in the future.

I have a set of stock pickups from the 82 that I will test as well. Will be a nice comparison between stock and Dyna S to see if there is a difference.
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 25 Jan 2012 11:12 #499986

• jydog
  • User
Jack, can I get a closer look at your setup? pics and details of your testing. I have tried everyting to get a good signal throught tunerstudio and all I get is spikes and now my ecu is cutting out. I may ship mine back and have them test it to make sure there is nothing wrong with it. I wasnt aware of the Bosch BIP373 for an igniter setup. Good info
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 25 Jan 2012 12:03 #499993

• Boostable
  • User
Sure bud, what info would you like? Are you running the free version of TS or a registered copy? If registered, have you looked at the input log?

What do you mean your ECU is cutting out?

For the inputs I hooked mine up exactly like this..

Cables are labeled VR1 and VR2.

~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 25 Jan 2012 12:10 #499994

• jydog
  • User
free version, I've looked at the logs and msextra has the diagnosics you can see but all I get is a spike once in a while. Not like the tachref program and my results where not to great on that either. Its kinda hard to screw up, not impossible but I have tried using the vr sensors with vr1 and vr2 like you and no results and I have tried fuel only with optio +/- and nothing. Now after I get done chranking the ecu resets. I even isolated the ecu wiring from the bike and it still does the same thing. You are using dyna vr sensors right? I even talked to matt and ben at DIYautotune and they verified I was hooking it up right.

On a positive note, I did get a deal on an 82 gpz1100 efi tank today. Im going to try and make that work.
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 25 Jan 2012 12:33 #499997

• Boostable
  • User
That's weird for sure.. I have not had the ECU reset on me once thus far. Has it always done this, or just since the version update? Something to do with the MSExtra code???

I will say that my unit is sitting on my bench and is grounded and powered via a bench power supply that I have, so not getting the power or ground from the bike at this time. Not sure if that would make a difference or not, but who knows..

I will run TS tonight and see what my logs look like with the ignition log view and compare that to the tachref program results I already have.
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider