87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive

More
28 Mar 2016 20:14 #717895 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic 87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive
If you get a chance put a picture of the plugs up. It will say a lot. I would move that needle to different positions and see where it runs best. That can tell you a lot too. What throttle position is the problem at?

- good luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2016 20:18 - 28 Mar 2016 20:34 #717896 by punisher11b

JackImpact wrote: Whats it mean if I cant start or idle it with the chokes on?

My guess is your main jet is too big. Or your needle has to much taper to it. I was hoping placing the needle farther down would compensate a little. Your piolet could be a little big too but it sounded like it idles well with that one.

- good luck
Last edit: 28 Mar 2016 20:34 by punisher11b.

More
28 Mar 2016 21:08 #717905 by JackImpact
Replied by JackImpact on topic 87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive
If you quick throttle is what does it. Let me link youtube. The video test 1 from today is it.

More
28 Mar 2016 21:19 #717907 by punisher11b
Sounds like there is some extra clanking going on. Might just be my phone's speaker. If moving your needle clip in either direction from 3-4 or 3-2 didn't help it may not be the carbs. The valves may need adjusting. Let it run for a bit then drizzle water on the exhaust by the bend from the engine. Do it to both pipes and make sure they are the same temp. I'm not convinced both your cylinders are running the same. Do the spark plugs look similar?

- good luck

More
28 Mar 2016 22:15 #717914 by JackImpact
I will pull em out to check. It is making some more noise than I feel it should. I can record with go pro if needed.

More
28 Mar 2016 22:15 #717915 by JackImpact

punisher11b wrote: Sounds like there is some extra clanking going on. Might just be my phone's speaker. If moving your needle clip in either direction from 3-4 or 3-2 didn't help it may not be the carbs. The valves may need adjusting. Let it run for a bit then drizzle water on the exhaust by the bend from the engine. Do it to both pipes and make sure they are the same temp. I'm not convinced both your cylinders are running the same. Do the spark plugs look similar?

Can I adjust the valves on my own?

More
28 Mar 2016 23:03 #717916 by punisher11b
I agree with the noise being more than it should. The valves are very easy to check. You will need a feeler gauge, from any auto parts store. Right above the carb holders there are covers you can remove. They look like a huge nut about 2-3 inches above the carb holder. They valves are the very simple style that you can adjust with a screw driver and wrench. We're you able to download that manual? It gives great detail about the whole process and will tell you exactly how to do it all! If you are having to much trouble getting it I have the PDF I can give you but it's so big you would be better off finding it online if you can.

- good luck

More
28 Mar 2016 23:11 #717917 by JackImpact

More
28 Mar 2016 23:13 #717918 by JackImpact

punisher11b wrote: I agree with the noise being more than it should. The valves are very easy to check. You will need a feeler gauge, from any auto parts store. Right above the carb holders there are covers you can remove. They look like a huge nut about 2-3 inches above the carb holder. They valves are the very simple style that you can adjust with a screw driver and wrench. We're you able to download that manual? It gives great detail about the whole process and will tell you exactly how to do it all! If you are having to much trouble getting it I have the PDF I can give you but it's so big you would be better off finding it online if you can.

Posted video from gopro with a bit better sound. Also IMGUR link above it of the plugs. These were brand new a few days ago. they are charred grey/blackish. Sorry they are a bit out of focus.

More
28 Mar 2016 23:23 #717920 by punisher11b
So definitely running rich on both, but still a lot of noise coming out of the engine. Whwn it caughs and dies like that do you notice a puf of smoke out of the air filter at all? In other words does it seem like it's caughing out of the carbs or out of the exhaust? That can be a sign of mis adjustment in the valves. I don't think your rich condition would cause that caugh back like that. If you listen close to the engine can you hear where the slapping sound is coming from?

- good luck

More
29 Mar 2016 07:09 #717959 by JackImpact

punisher11b wrote: So definitely running rich on both, but still a lot of noise coming out of the engine. Whwn it caughs and dies like that do you notice a puf of smoke out of the air filter at all? In other words does it seem like it's caughing out of the carbs or out of the exhaust? That can be a sign of mis adjustment in the valves. I don't think your rich condition would cause that caugh back like that. If you listen close to the engine can you hear where the slapping sound is coming from?

I really cannot tell.

More
29 Mar 2016 08:45 #717975 by JackImpact

punisher11b wrote: So definitely running rich on both, but still a lot of noise coming out of the engine. Whwn it caughs and dies like that do you notice a puf of smoke out of the air filter at all? In other words does it seem like it's caughing out of the carbs or out of the exhaust? That can be a sign of mis adjustment in the valves. I don't think your rich condition would cause that caugh back like that. If you listen close to the engine can you hear where the slapping sound is coming from?

If I go buy a feeler gauge, is there a specific one? Does the gas tank have to come off bike?