87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive

More
28 Mar 2016 14:03 #717807 by JackImpact
Replied by JackImpact on topic 87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive

punisher11b wrote: Ok, this is the last step before you have to change your main jet or get new needles. If it feels like it has no power with the needle clip in that position it means its running to lean. Did it solve the glug glug die problem where it dies when you give it to much throttle? (The rich condition) Adjust the slide stop screw to increase your idle. Now it may not help, but try tightening the air screw down till you reach best idle then try and ride it and adjust the air screw. Probably need to tighten to richen it. Best to play around with it a bit. If you don't feel the power come back and you end up tightened down on the air screw all the way (still to lean at the bottom of the throttle) you will need to rejet your carb. This would mean changing any of the three jets to get the right mixture at the problem areas in your throttle range. Your best bet if you need to go this route is to check if the main jet is proper at WOT with a plug chop. If it is good, then the best bet is to play with different needles and piolets .it can take many many hours to get good at jetting carbs so I hope you can fix it with the air screw. If not plan on learning some carb theory because it's going to take a lot of saddle time and tinkering if you need to rejet. Shops won't touch rejetting carbs on older bikes or it will cost a ton. Needles are not too expensive, so if you end up rejetting start with those and buy a couple of sizes one smaller and one bigger. Good lluck
Side note: it gets better with choke now right?

The glug glug glug didnt really stop. Would it help if I made a video of it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2016 14:37 #717812 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic 87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive
Did the choke improve it or no? This is only the method for diagnosing jetting issues. Using choke enrichens so if choke kills it your rich. I can't tell rich or lean without seeing the plugs.

- good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackImpact

More
28 Mar 2016 14:40 #717813 by JackImpact
Do you want me to take the plugs out and take photos?

I did not check with chokes on but I can.

More
28 Mar 2016 15:02 #717816 by JackImpact

punisher11b wrote: Did the choke improve it or no? This is only the method for diagnosing jetting issues. Using choke enrichens so if choke kills it your rich. I can't tell rich or lean without seeing the plugs.

I cant get it to start or idle with choke on.

More
28 Mar 2016 15:03 #717817 by punisher11b
Best bet is to try with choke. If you raise the needle clip it leans out the throttle response. If it's too lean choke should fix it within the first 50% or so of your throttle range. Your best bet is to play with the needle hight and air screw then add choke to find where it's lean and where it's rich. (I.e choke makes it better/ choke makes it worse). If you find its between two different needle clip positions you will need a new needle or to shim the old one with a little washer from RadioShack.
If nothing helps with doing these things then you know it's probably not a problem with the carbs. At which poin t you need to make sure both cylinders are running the same by checking temp and compression. Many methods to check that they are close, but start by making sure that the valves are propper then vacume leaks need to be rulled out by spraying the rubber boots with wd40.
Unfortunately jetting carbs can be quite advanced, take your time and try to understand the why of it all it will help in the long run. If the carbs are not jetted proper it could take a long, long time to get them there. Last bike I switched to those carbs it took me 3 months just to get to where it behaved close to normal through the entire throttle range. It's not to terrible, but understanding the why is critical.
You may end up having to do things like increasing or decreasing your main jet to change the piolet and needle richness or leanness. Nothing is solid with carbs, very fluid system. :P
Some pun intended. :laugh:

- good luck

More
28 Mar 2016 15:13 #717818 by JackImpact
Whats it mean if I cant start or idle it with the chokes on?

More
28 Mar 2016 15:18 - 28 Mar 2016 15:21 #717821 by punisher11b
Don't worry so much about starting it with choke. Start it, give it some gas to keep up RPMS, then turn choke on and try to ride it/ see if problem persists. It should be better than no choke if you moved the clip closer to position 1 on the needle whichsmeans to lean it. If it kills it, even with rpms between 3-5 k means it is way to rich still. However you should have noticed some improvement to the throttle response from the last needle clip position to this one without choke.

- good luck
Last edit: 28 Mar 2016 15:21 by punisher11b.

More
28 Mar 2016 15:23 #717824 by JackImpact

punisher11b wrote: Don't worry so much about starting it with choke. Start it, give it some gas to keep up RPMS, then turn choke on and try to ride it/ see if problem persists. It should be better than no choke if you moved the clip closer to position 1 on the needle whichsmeans to lean it. If it kills it, even with rpms between 3-5 k means it is way to rich still. However you should have noticed some improvement to the throttle response from the last needle clip position to this one without choke.

Its on the 2nd spot from the top down.

More
28 Mar 2016 15:25 #717825 by punisher11b
Was it on the very top to start with?

- good luck

More
28 Mar 2016 15:37 #717828 by punisher11b
If it was in the center to start then that's perfect. If it was on top, then the needle was raised increasing fuel flow. In that case you need a smaller main jet probably or a different needle. Main jets are on the cheaper side. If you have to Go to www.jetsrus.com then just look up your model of carb.
Side note:
I'd be really interested in finding out what size carbs you have on there VM30 or VM28 maybe? Also what size jets for your piolet and main jet?
Thats if you get a chance. I might end up switching the carbs on my 305 over to mikuni VM carbs if the ones on it now are totalled.

- good luck

More
28 Mar 2016 19:53 #717885 by JackImpact

punisher11b wrote: Was it on the very top to start with?

It was on center one. When I talk about position i always am referring to from the top as being where the cable for the throttle comes in and bottom towards bottom of carb

More
28 Mar 2016 19:55 #717886 by JackImpact

punisher11b wrote: If it was in the center to start then that's perfect. If it was on top, then the needle was raised increasing fuel flow. In that case you need a smaller main jet probably or a different needle. Main jets are on the cheaper side. If you have to Go to www.jetsrus.com then just look up your model of carb.
Side note:
I'd be really interested in finding out what size carbs you have on there VM30 or VM28 maybe? Also what size jets for your piolet and main jet?
Thats if you get a chance. I might end up switching the carbs on my 305 over to mikuni VM carbs if the ones on it now are totalled.

I dont know, cant tell and dont see it written on them.