87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive

More
13 Mar 2016 15:34 - 13 Mar 2016 16:21 #715249 by JackImpact
87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive was created by JackImpact
Bike wont start without some throttle. Then you have to keep it. Once its really really warmed up, it will try and keep itself alive then stutter to death. Has two newer mikuni carbs on it, but they came with the bike.

imgur.com/a/Leoye
Last edit: 13 Mar 2016 16:21 by JackImpact. Reason: Title

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2016 16:30 #715260 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive
If it's just a case of not idling without throttle then I'd suggest looking for a throttle stop/idle screw. This would be in the region of the mechanism where the throttle cable attaches at the carb end .Adjustment of this screw controls where the throttle mechanism comes to rest. May just need a little adjustment.

What colour are the spark plugs ?

If you have already done that then being a new bike I'd suggest doing the basic maintenance - timing (if it has points), valve clearance check, adjustment - before looking closer at the carbs

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
13 Mar 2016 16:48 #715262 by JackImpact
Replied by JackImpact on topic 87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive

JR wrote: If it's just a case of not idling without throttle then I'd suggest looking for a throttle stop/idle screw. This would be in the region of the mechanism where the throttle cable attaches at the carb end .Adjustment of this screw controls where the throttle mechanism comes to rest. May just need a little adjustment.

What colour are the spark plugs ?

If you have already done that then being a new bike I'd suggest doing the basic maintenance - timing (if it has points), valve clearance check, adjustment - before looking closer at the carbs

Thank you.

I apologize. I actually do not know where the spark plugs are as I have not gotten there yet. I could find them with some direction though.

More
13 Mar 2016 17:01 #715264 by JR
No apologies necessary. We all have to start somewhere. Best thing you could do would be to look for a service manual and there appears to be a few on ebay

Your bike appear to be a two cylinder and so spark plugs will be on both the right side and left side of the cylinder and towards the upper part of the cylinders. Forward of the carbs at about the same level on right and left sides. Look for the heavy usually black lead coming out from beneath the gas tank and attaching via plastic plug cap to the white ceramic of the spark plug. You will need a plug wrench to remove them and dont tighten much when replacing.
You might be better reading abit of the manual first if you are unsure
Good luck.

More
13 Mar 2016 17:03 #715265 by JackImpact
Unfortunately for me the Kawasaki website says they have a PDF manual for my bike and then when you load it, it says it doesnt exist. Gonna call them on Monday. Can you buy sparkplugs for this type of bike at say, Walmart?

More
13 Mar 2016 17:05 #715266 by JackImpact

JR wrote: No apologies necessary. We all have to start somewhere. Best thing you could do would be to look for a service manual and there appears to be a few on ebay

Your bike appear to be a two cylinder and so spark plugs will be on both the right side and left side of the cylinder and towards the upper part of the cylinders. Forward of the carbs at about the same level on right and left sides. Look for the heavy usually black lead coming out from beneath the gas tank and attaching via plastic plug cap to the white ceramic of the spark plug. You will need a plug wrench to remove them and dont tighten much when replacing.
You might be better reading abit of the manual first if you are unsure
Good luck.

Found them, indead black rubber lead to a white ceramic end. Is the white ceramic the color you were asking about?

More
13 Mar 2016 17:10 - 13 Mar 2016 17:12 #715269 by JR
Not quite

See www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/faqs/spa...-i-read-a-spark-plug

Colour can tell how the bike is running and how the carbs are set up, i.e. to rich, to lean, just right

Great look bike you have !!!!!!!! I just saw your other post

Last edit: 13 Mar 2016 17:12 by JR.

More
13 Mar 2016 17:16 #715270 by JackImpact

JR wrote: Not quite

Colour can tell how the bike is running and how the carbs are set up, i.e. to rich, to lean, just right

Thank you! I will read your link right now. She is in super shape in my opinion.

More
13 Mar 2016 17:32 #715275 by JackImpact

JR wrote: Not quite

The line from the throttle splits, one to each of the carbs right to the top. Not sure where the screw would be that adjusts them,

Went to take off the sparkplug and the socket I have is one size too small to grab it and of course I cannot find size 16mm-18mm. Who knows where they went.

More
15 Mar 2016 08:53 #715512 by JackImpact
So I got one carb off, cleaned it out a bit. Got it back on. Ended up getting air and idle dialed in enough to get it started. Then brought the idle speed down to a safe level, it varies a bit up and down but it doesnt choke out or go over 2k at idle.

More
15 Mar 2016 16:25 #715574 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic 87 KZ305LTD can't stay alive
I would gather that it's probably air screw that needs adjusting on both carbs . I have found those minukis are a little picky to the screw position. The manual won't be any help with the carbs but I can give you some info from the manual if you need it. There is a free PDF version of the 1980-83 kz305 that is 95% accurate to your bike. It's just not updated for the ignition wiring and such since yours doesn't have points.

- good luck

More
15 Mar 2016 16:37 #715575 by JackImpact
I will take any literature I can get!