Has anyone had problems with new camshaft bearings?

• MLMG
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • See you in the wind.
More
26 Jun 2023 10:28 #886459 by MLMG

Don´t buy shims from unkown sources, to many china clones with less surface hardness (Brinell, Vickers, Rockwell).
The last ones I bought, the guy said they were original K&L, but when a darker one arrived with a diameter greater than 29mm, I was already suspicious.

Ebay retro-motorcycles "99.5% positive"

When I feel like it again, I'm going to buy at the store in Germany that you recommend.

thank you so much

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 A1
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    26 Jun 2023 11:01 #886460 by zed1015

Don´t buy shims from unkown sources, to many china clones with less surface hardness (Brinell, Vickers, Rockwell).
    The last ones I bought, the guy said they were original K&L, but when a darker one arrived with a diameter greater than 29mm, I was already suspicious.

Ebay retro-motorcycles "99.5% positive"

When I feel like it again, I'm going to buy at the store in Germany that you recommend.

thank you so much

29.5mm shim is for Suzuki GS1000 etc.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
    kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: MLMG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MLMG
    • Topic Author
    • User
    • See you in the wind.
    More
    11 Jul 2023 16:44 #887130 by MLMG
    I bought shims on the website www.tills.de that Scirocco suggested to me.

They came in two types, one darker like the one in the image with the large name separated by a hyphen.

And others clearer identical to those sold by Z1E.

I had the engine running for two minutes and the clearer ones showed signs of wear.

The truth is that things are complicated, where do you buy original shims?

It is a pity the number of failures and discouragement that will be seen because of the scrap they sell.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 A1
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
    • User
    • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
    More
    12 Jul 2023 05:13 #887137 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
    Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Has anyone had problems with new camshaft bearings?

What cam chain tensioner are you using? (if the chain is too tight it will pull the cams down against the oil feed holes and could restrict flow) Have you checked clearance with plastigauge?
    I'm using an APE chain tensioner, I hand-tighten it very delicately.

Also change the camshaft bearings for original Kawasaki ones.

The trees rotated freely.
    youtube.com/shorts/T779pBR6w70

My thought is that if it were a lubrication problem, a bearing would already have failed.

see other similar problems in the forum.

I leave the links

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/616881-z1r-spat-out-a-shim?start=12

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/617690-is-my-cam-toast

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/617435-strange-cam-lobe-wear-pattern

We've never seen shims with what looks like parallel mill marks.

Of additional concern is, the large, light dot in the center of the shim that's surrounded by a darker halo, and has a feature visible through the dot's axis.  That is the exact wear pattern caused by early Z1 shim buckets (PN# 12032-004) that weren't machined perfectly flat, leaving a 'navel' around which the shim would rock, leading to shims fracturing. The feature through the axis may be the beginning of a fracture.

Mama Kaw issued a recall (Svc. Bulletin SER 73 Z-13, dated 6-21-73) to replace the early Z1 shim buckets with correctly-machined items (PN# 12032-005) sans the 'navel'.  See below.

We've seen old-style buckets with the 'navels, in the wild for decades; in motors, at swap meets and at independent shops in their used parts bins.

Shims with the navel 'dot' should be discarded, as microscopic fracture fatigue may have begun to develop internally.  Reuse at your own risk.

Are you certain the shim buckets in your motor are factory-original to your motor, sans 'navel' ?

Good Ridin'
    slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
    A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
    1974 Z1-A x2
    1975 Z1-B x2
    1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
    2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
    An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
    on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• The following user(s) said Thank You: cb900f, howardhb, Wookie58, MLMG

More
    12 Jul 2023 05:40 #887139 by Wookie58
    Where else could you find this level of product knowledge and expertise 
    The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

More
    12 Jul 2023 07:12 #887141 by Cra-z1
    Those navel buckets were used on the early engines probably up to around #2000 but they should have been replaced under warranty. When I purchased my Oct 72 bike it still had the old buckets in place so it is worth a check to see if  you may have those old buckets installed.

• MLMG
    • Topic Author
    • User
    • See you in the wind.
    More
    12 Jul 2023 10:05 - 12 Jul 2023 10:06 #887157 by MLMG

What cam chain tensioner are you using? (if the chain is too tight it will pull the cams down against the oil feed holes and could restrict flow) Have you checked clearance with plastigauge?
    I'm using an APE chain tensioner, I hand-tighten it very delicately.

Also change the camshaft bearings for original Kawasaki ones.

The trees rotated freely.
    youtube.com/shorts/T779pBR6w70

My thought is that if it were a lubrication problem, a bearing would already have failed.

see other similar problems in the forum.

I leave the links

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/616881-z1r-spat-out-a-shim?start=12

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/617690-is-my-cam-toast

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/617435-strange-cam-lobe-wear-pattern

We've never seen shims with what looks like parallel mill marks.

Of additional concern is, the large, light dot in the center of the shim that's surrounded by a darker halo, and has a feature visible through the dot's axis.  That is the exact wear pattern caused by early Z1 shim buckets (PN# 12032-004) that weren't machined perfectly flat, leaving a 'navel' around which the shim would rock, leading to shims fracturing. The feature through the axis may be the beginning of a fracture.

Mama Kaw issued a recall (Svc. Bulletin SER 73 Z-13, dated 6-21-73) to replace the early Z1 shim buckets with correctly-machined items (PN# 12032-005) sans the 'navel'.  See below.

We've seen old-style buckets with the 'navels, in the wild for decades; in motors, at swap meets and at independent shops in their used parts bins.

Shims with the navel 'dot' should be discarded, as microscopic fracture fatigue may have begun to develop internally.  Reuse at your own risk.

Are you certain the shim buckets in your motor are factory-original to your motor, sans 'navel' ?

Good Ridin'
    slmjim & Z1BEBE
    The image you refer to is not mine, it belongs to another forum member with a similar problem.

My engine uses buckets without a navel.

The image below does belong to the shims of my engine.

I already look like a collector. 

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 A1
  • Last edit: 12 Jul 2023 10:06 by MLMG.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

More
    12 Jul 2023 11:12 #887160 by Wookie58
    This is a very strange scenario !! Have you tried painting the shims with "engineers blue" dye then rotating the engine manually to get a clear idea of how the cams are contacting the shims? Also when rotating the engine do the buckets/valves rotate as they are intended to during the opening and closing motion?

More
    12 Jul 2023 13:26 - 12 Jul 2023 13:39 #887162 by zed1015
    With regards to the shim damage.
    Have the valve stems been tipped and if so have they been done correctly and square.
    I've seen this type of damage due to  tipped valves that are ground uneven and aren't a true 90 degrees to the stem.
    It causes the buckets to oscillate and rotate at an angle which causes the cam lobe edge to skip and dig in to the shim..

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
    kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 12 Jul 2023 13:39 by zed1015.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, SWest, MLMG

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    12 Jul 2023 13:28 - 12 Jul 2023 13:29 #887163 by Scirocco
    The circular wear marks shows a rotating bucket/valve/shim.
    In my opinion the cam lob surface/profil is the master problem. Pics would be helpful.
    Last edit: 12 Jul 2023 13:29 by Scirocco.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, MLMG

More
    12 Jul 2023 15:59 #887167 by Wookie58

The circular wear marks shows a rotating bucket/valve/shim.
    In my opinion the cam lob surface/profil is the master problem. Pics would be helpful.
    Completely agree, that was the reason I suggested the "marking dye" it should show which part of the lobe is contacting the shim and also if that rotation is smooth (there will be "skip" marks in the blue if not) Just my opinion 
    The following user(s) said Thank You: MLMG

• MLMG
    • Topic Author
    • User
    • See you in the wind.
    More
    13 Jul 2023 08:58 #887185 by MLMG
    Hello everyone.

The problem seems to have been solved, at least for now.

I could not leave the gaps as I wanted but worse is nothing.

After many tests and anger this is the conclusion.

The shim with the denomination in the center marked with an X is junk.

I have to mention that the guys at www.tills.de refunded my money after I reported the problem to them. It would be good to alert other sellers.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 A1
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58