Z1R Spat out a Shim

More
12 Dec 2021 08:20 - 12 Dec 2021 08:43 #858981 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Z1R Spat out a Shim

4 - Early type shim used ( identified by a dimple in the center of the shim) which are prone to this type of failure.

We've never seen shims with raised nubs on them, although true 'dimples' are likely the result of shims used on early Z1 buckets.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
Here in the UK ( and everywhere else i know of ) a Dimple is an indent not a raised area.
Early shims had an indent that resulted in a stress area which were prone to breaking and were replaced with the plain shims.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 12 Dec 2021 08:43 by zed1015.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2021 08:31 #858983 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Z1R Spat out a Shim
No idea if this could be related but K&L made a bunch of bad shims a while back.  Z1 stopped selling them at one point.  This was for Suzki GS shims though, not sure if KZ shims were likewise affected.

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
12 Dec 2021 14:00 #858985 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Z1R Spat out a Shim

4 - Early type shim used ( identified by a dimple in the center of the shim) which are prone to this type of failure.

We've never seen shims with raised nubs on them, although true 'dimples' are likely the result of shims used on early Z1 buckets.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
Here in the UK ( and everywhere else i know of ) a Dimple is an indent not a raised area.
Early shims had an indent that resulted in a stress area which were prone to breaking and were replaced with the plain shims.
The bulletin we mentioned shown below:

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike, krazee1

More
    13 Dec 2021 12:03 #859000 by larriken
    Replied by larriken on topic Z1R Spat out a Shim

Good Ridin'
    slmjim & Z1BEBE
    The bulletin we mentioned shown below:

Good Ridin'
    slmjim & Z1BEBE
    Thanks for the info! Really interesting and look what I found after I pulled all the shims out.......

More
    13 Dec 2021 12:15 #859001 by larriken
    Last night I took the clearance measurements and then pulled the shims and measured all of them. This is what I have;

There is an assortment of shims used and only one still has the numbers visible on it. The one in the photo below looked a bit odd too.

More
    13 Dec 2021 12:17 #859002 by larriken
    Bucket looks a bit rugged and there are some nasty marks on the cam lobe. 

More
    13 Dec 2021 12:55 - 13 Dec 2021 15:07 #859004 by zed1015
    Replied by zed1015 on topic Z1R Spat out a Shim

The one in the photo below looked a bit odd too.

That shim has been ground (badly) and the lower one in the other pic has been messed with too.
    Your "Experienced Kawasaki guy" needs sacking and you should go through that engine to closely inspect anything he has touched before it's run again.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
    kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 13 Dec 2021 15:07 by zed1015.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, Street Fighter LTD, SWest

• hardrockminer
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    13 Dec 2021 16:30 #859027 by hardrockminer
    Replied by hardrockminer on topic Z1R Spat out a Shim
    From the looks of those shims I suspect the broken one was ground.  A further guess....your valve stems were also ground.  All of those shims are on the thin edge of the range.  One of them is at the very bottom.  (2.00)

Zed1015's comment about sacking brings back a memory of a line in the Beatles' song "Piggies"..."What they need's a damn good whacking!"  I totally agree with 1015.  Anything this guy touched should be reviewed.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
    13 Dec 2021 17:58 #859034 by Mikaw
    Replied by Mikaw on topic Z1R Spat out a Shim

From the looks of those shims I suspect the broken one was ground.  A further guess....your valve stems were also ground. 

I totally agree with 1015.  Anything this guy touched should be reviewed.
    HRM, good eye. Look at the valve tip. It shows the same grind marks as on the shim. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
    1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
    1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
    1980 KZ 750 E1
    Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
    Jimi Hendrix.

• SWest
    • Sustaining Member
    • 10 22 2014
    More
    13 Dec 2021 18:07 #859035 by SWest
    Replied by SWest on topic Z1R Spat out a Shim
    I was thinking the keepers were touching the lifter but it does look like the valve stem had been tipped. NOT GOOD 
    Steve

• hardrockminer
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    13 Dec 2021 18:40 - 13 Dec 2021 18:43 #859037 by hardrockminer
    Replied by hardrockminer on topic Z1R Spat out a Shim

I was thinking the keepers were touching the lifter but it does look like the valve stem had been tipped. NOT GOOD 
    Steve

Yes, AND the shims are at the low end of the range.  Now I'm wondering if he did the seats and over cut them?  Then tipped the valves and ground some shims.  I'm willing to bet if you measure those ground shims that they are less than 2.00.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
    Last edit: 13 Dec 2021 18:43 by hardrockminer.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• SWest
    • Sustaining Member
    • 10 22 2014
    More
    13 Dec 2021 18:51 #859039 by SWest
    Replied by SWest on topic Z1R Spat out a Shim
    Might be time for larger valves and a redo. 
    Steve