It runs!!!! BUT!

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
27 Mar 2015 09:05 - 19 May 2015 20:35 #665403 by bromz
It runs!!!! BUT! was created by bromz
Guys the bike turns over nicely, there is fuel to the carb bowls, new air filer, new plugs, new plug wires, spark on all four plugs, could my butterfly's just be closed. I just inspected the carbs but they were ok enough to run the bike and sync them. I tried to start it, a few spits but that is it. drained the battery. I never gave it any throttle so i'm thinking lack of air. any ideas without taking the valve cover back off to make sure I didn't jump a tooth. I haven't strobed the timing yet but this thing should at least start even if it runs a little rough till things get adjusted. Haven't lubed the timing advancer. Should i try some fresh gas and open the throttle a little? till carbs are synced?
Last edit: 19 May 2015 20:35 by bromz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2015 11:17 - 27 Mar 2015 11:18 #665413 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic first start after new gaskets plugs and wires

bromz wrote: Guys the bike turns over nicely, there is fuel to the carb bowls, new air filer, new plugs, new plug wires, spark on all four plugs, could my butterfly's just be closed. I just inspected the carbs but they were ok enough to run the bike and sync them. I tried to start it, a few spits but that is it. drained the battery. I never gave it any throttle so i'm thinking lack of air. any ideas without taking the valve cover back off to make sure I didn't jump a tooth. I haven't strobed the timing yet but this thing should at least start even if it runs a little rough till things get adjusted. Haven't lubed the timing advancer. Should i try some fresh gas and open the throttle a little? till carbs are synced?

How old is the gas? If it's more than 3 months old it wouldn't hurt. Definitely lube the advance. I thought I had a carb issue and it was really a timing advancer issue. I pulled mine completely apart, cleaned and lubed everything. I used Heavy duty silicone spray to lube mine as it won't collect dirt. After I did that a re-synchronized the carbs and the bike cam alive.

Be very careful not to loose or damage the advancer springs you can't buy them you have to buy the whole advancer.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Last edit: 27 Mar 2015 11:18 by kaw-a-holic. Reason: added content

More
27 Mar 2015 13:32 #665424 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic first start after new gaskets plugs and wires

bromz wrote: Haven't lubed the timing advancer

If that thing is 180 off, it will never start.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
27 Mar 2015 14:33 #665436 by bromz
How do I know? I lines up t 1 4 mark installed camshafts just as the manual said?

More
27 Mar 2015 14:44 #665438 by 650ed

bromz wrote: How do I know? I lines up t 1 4 mark installed camshafts just as the manual said?

Take a look at the advancer. If it is similar to the one on the KZ650 there will be a mark on the little cam and a hole in the backplate of the advancer. They should approximately line up as shown by the yellow arrows in the image below. If the mark on the cam is 180* away from the hole slip the cam off and turn it 180*. On the KZ650 advancer the cam can only go on either correctly or 180* off. Ed

Attachment AdvancerCloseupwithArrows-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
27 Mar 2015 15:52 #665442 by bromz
My exhaust is sucking air in when trying to start but I lined all marks counted links just as a manual said

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
27 Mar 2015 16:06 #665444 by bromz
Also my advancer doesn't have the same marks as that one Ed.

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
27 Mar 2015 16:12 #665445 by bromz
Also I can't confuse camshafts cause on mine the exhaust shaft it has the tach drive gear and I never unbolted the sprockets from the shafts either.

More
27 Mar 2015 16:41 #665447 by Patton

bromz wrote: . . . I lined all marks counted links just as a manual said

That's the cam timing, as opposed to the ignition timing.

Hopefully, the advancer has a hash mark that can be positioned as close as possible to a southeast hole when seeing the 1/4 marks through the timing inspection window.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
27 Mar 2015 16:46 #665448 by bromz
So even with exhaust sucking in the pipes at start the cams are ok if aligned as per the manual. And try adjusting the advancer even though I never took it apart ?

More
27 Mar 2015 18:06 - 27 Mar 2015 18:07 #665453 by Patton

bromz wrote: So even with exhaust sucking in the pipes at start the cams are ok if aligned as per the manual. And try adjusting the advancer even though I never took it apart ?

With correct cam timing, a descending piston (intake stroke) should suck fuel mixture through the intake valve into the combustion chamber. And a rising piston (exhaust stroke) should push combustion residue out through the exhaust valve.

Although there is some valve opening overlap, am thinking there's not supposed to be any sucking into the combustion chamber through the exhaust valve. Because that would mean the exhaust valve is incorrectly opening when the piston is descending on the intake stroke or power stroke.

Would double-check the cam timing with close adherance to the FSM.

If the advancer itself was not removed and replaced, its orientation would have remained unchanged.

Firing order 1-2-4-3

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2015 18:07 by Patton.

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
27 Mar 2015 18:15 #665454 by bromz
Cam timing is good. So I'm gonna lean towards checking valve clearances and make sure they are within specs. My plugs are dry as a bone and clean as a whistle.