1st Post, 1st KZ, 1st problem... (starter clutch)

• Randombeat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
13 Mar 2015 04:33 #664292 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic 1st Post, 1st KZ, 1st problem... (starter clutch)
personally i had no intention of using used parts, not since ive found the new stuff is still available...

i went and checked out a couple things on the bike last night... after removing the starter, i was able to turn the big sprocket i could see (not the one physically on the starter, the one still inside the bike), and it would only turm one way....

does that mean anything in specific? something is/isnt broken or needs replaced?

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randombeat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
13 Mar 2015 04:34 #664293 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic 1st Post, 1st KZ, 1st problem... (starter clutch)
also, i think that may have just been a spam add post, if you notice it was the 1st post....

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

More
13 Mar 2015 09:27 #664322 by KZB2 650
All the small stuff is available new ...... Springs, pins, rollers, clutch thrust washers, clutch nut, pan gasket, o rings etc but the sprocket and main housing is not.

At least on the 14 or 15 main suppliers on my list. :(

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
13 Mar 2015 09:31 #664323 by KZB2 650

650ed wrote:

dom2570 wrote: I have an 82 kz750h, I think the starter clutch is going out too. Starter motor is NOS, battery is brand new. Sometimes I'll press the start button and the starter solenoid will click followed by nothing, other I'll hear the starter attempting to turn over and then a click, and then other times it fires right up. Needless to say, I'm getting really good at the bump start!

That does not sound like a starter clutch problem to me. Usually when the starter clutch has a problem it will make a loud noise (like an ooga horn) when it slips. Check all your electrical connections including the ground wire from battery to frame. Ed

I agree Ed once you hear the rollers slipping its stuck in you head ..... kinda like the box of rocks sounds others have said.

1978 KZ650 b-2
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
13 Mar 2015 12:39 #664340 by DoctoRot

Randombeat wrote: personally i had no intention of using used parts, not since ive found the new stuff is still available...

i went and checked out a couple things on the bike last night... after removing the starter, i was able to turn the big sprocket i could see (not the one physically on the starter, the one still inside the bike), and it would only turm one way....

does that mean anything in specific? something is/isnt broken or needs replaced?

the starter clutch "big" sprocket should only freely turn one way. the other way is what it takes to crank the engine. if it spins freely each way it wont engage.

KZB2 650 wrote: All the small stuff is available new ...... Springs, pins, rollers, clutch thrust washers, clutch nut, pan gasket, o rings etc but the sprocket and main housing is not.

At least on the 14 or 15 main suppliers on my list. :(

I bought a new starter clutch sprocket from a kawasaki dealer about 8 months ago. it was still listed as active then.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
13 Mar 2015 13:09 #664342 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic 1st Post, 1st KZ, 1st problem... (starter clutch)
I have an 82 kz750h, I think the starter clutch is going out too. Starter motor is NOS, battery is brand new. Sometimes I'll press the start button and the starter solenoid will click followed by nothing, other I'll hear the starter attempting to turn over and then a click, and then other times it fires right up. Needless to say, I'm getting really good at the bump start!

Starter clutch will scream when the starter tries to turn the crank, as the rollers are slipping.
Your problem is battery wiring, frame earth or starter or solenoid. The click is the solenoid (electrical relay) engaging but starter not turning. Quite an easy and probably cheap fix.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
13 Mar 2015 13:16 #664345 by dom2570

650ed wrote:

dom2570 wrote: I have an 82 kz750h, I think the starter clutch is going out too. Starter motor is NOS, battery is brand new. Sometimes I'll press the start button and the starter solenoid will click followed by nothing, other I'll hear the starter attempting to turn over and then a click, and then other times it fires right up. Needless to say, I'm getting really good at the bump start!

That does not sound like a starter clutch problem to me. Usually when the starter clutch has a problem it will make a loud noise (like an ooga horn) when it slips. Check all your electrical connections including the ground wire from battery to frame. Ed

I think it is definitely combination of things. Every now and then when it cranks, it will sound like something is snapping.

I did go through the electronics and discovered that my IC igniter has a short in it somewhere.

Whip it like a mule!

• Randombeat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
16 Mar 2015 06:37 #664578 by Randombeat
well guys, i put in 22 hours overtime last week, so hopefully ill have the funds to get the parts and begin the process...

any suggestions on where to get the majority of parts from? Are any of the companies better about making sure your ordering the correct stuff for your year/model? better customer service?

i dont mind to pay a bit more to support a good company that takes the time to make sure your getting the correct stuff and actually cares....

More
16 Mar 2015 07:24 - 16 Mar 2015 08:35 #664587 by KZB2 650
A couple months ago I got all of it except the gear and main housing from Partszilla for around 90 bucks plus I had a extra pan gasket and the 2 90mm orings for the top and bottom of the filter ......

3 rollers, springs, pins, clutch nut, front and rear thrust washers (for clutch basket), 46mm o ring, gear roller bearing, the 2 main screws and the 3 oil rings for the oil passages (92055-077) ..... not sure if those 3 are needed don't remember seeing them in the break down for the 750 but defently check. Also if anyone see's something I missed please chime in.
Need to add a clutch cover gasket too.

1978 KZ650 b-2
Last edit: 16 Mar 2015 08:35 by KZB2 650.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
16 Mar 2015 09:09 - 16 Mar 2015 09:20 #664604 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic 1st Post, 1st KZ, 1st problem... (starter clutch)
Dom2570 get a pair of jump leads from the battery, and power the starter motor direct, one +ve to the live terminal (careful) and the -ve to the starter motor casing. If the motor fails to crank over consistently then your problem is probably elsewhere, a slipping starter clutch has an awful screeching sound, quite unlike anything else.

Even if the starter clutch is stuffed, the starter motor should be turning, that clicking solenoid relay but no starter motor might be a clue here: starter solenoid is an electrical relay that clicks closed when hitting the starter button and feeds starter motor. Temporary Jump lead testing from battery terminal to starter motor body and terminal eliminates all this wiring.

Starters need to be tested fitted and against a load, a defective starter might spin with no load but struggle to crank the motor every time.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 16 Mar 2015 09:20 by Tyrell Corp.

• Randombeat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
16 Mar 2015 16:31 #664667 by Randombeat
guys, this video:

shows one slipping, and it looks like some or all of the noise is coming from the screws not being tight, and hitting the sprocket... ???

is that right? is it possible the screws are just loose?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Mar 2015 16:47 #664669 by SWest