1st Post, 1st KZ, 1st problem... (starter clutch)

• Randombeat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
11 Mar 2015 16:25 - 11 Mar 2015 16:41 #664126 by Randombeat
Whats up guys! First let me say, what an awesome site! Ive really enjoyed reading and learning from you guys, and share your passion for the KZ!!! if you take the time to read this extremly long post, let me thank you in advance.

Sooooo, I decided on a 1980 kz750H for my first KZ, that i found on craigslist.

Attachment V__6685.jpg not found

Attachment V__D1D9.jpg not found

Attachment V__E2CD.jpg not found

As soon as i saw her, i knew it was the bike for me, and once i drove the 2 hour trip and sat on her, i was in love.

The PO had customized her, a bit, deleted most of the "non essential" bits, and done some paint, and a brat style seat. He hadnt had her running in over a year, but thought that with a plug swap and a good carb clean, she would run.

He was right about that, i changed the plugs, soaked overnight in seafoam after draining the gas, filled up with 100% gas (no ethanol), choked her, and she fired right up....

Ive been without a bike for 4 years, so the sweet sound of those pipes was music to my ears!!!

I hadnt yet tagged her, so i didnt take her out for a ride, i wanted to get her running first....

so the next day, i went to the dmv, registered her, and came back and put on the tag. Went to start her up, and it sounded like the starter wasnt engaging for a bit, then all of a sudden, she fired.

The idle stayed super high, and then when i lowered the idle, she died. upon trying to start her up again, it started sounding like a "can of marbles"...

the PO did tell me that the starter would spin and not catch sometimes, and that he thought it could be the starter, or the starter clutch.

So, i got to wrenching, and removed the starter... hit the start switch, and the starter turned fine....

so i got on good ole google, and began searching... and to my dismay, i found several videos of people reccording starter clutch issues.

so, ive got to replace the starter clutch.

Ive found several used units, but after reading the horror most people have with used or rebuilt starter clutches, i think i want to go with a new one.... enter the "parts obsolete" problem....

so ive found this: www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/kawasaki-cl...13193-1062-part.html

can anyone tell me if this is in fact the proper clutch to buy?

also, what else would you replace? starter sprocket? is it the 46 tooth, or the 58 tooth? www.gearhead.com/kawasaki-12046-1032.html#/s/KUS//12046-1032/1 or www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-12046-1072.html ??

Im honestly lost, and i dont want to buy the wrong parts....

i have found a local mechanic that specializes in vintage japanese bikes, whos quoted me 40$ per hour, and will let me sit in and learn about the bike.... (im not mechanically inclined enough to do this myself, and if i started it, and messed up, ill end up spending more...)

so heres my plan:

but a starter clutch, sprocket, race/bearing, oil, filter, gaskets and save up 2-300$ for labor.

Can anyone who has done this recently help me with a parts list?

sorry the post was so long, hopefully someone can help me get this ole girl running again!

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2015 16:41 by Randombeat. Reason: better title

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2015 16:47 #664127 by 650ed
Yes, 13193-1062 has the parts marked 3;4;5;& 6 in diagram below for the KZ750-H1 (LTD). You should also replace the Starter Sprocket (#18 in diagram). The second image below shows why. Ed

Attachment 00003a_2015-03-12.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randombeat

• Randombeat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
11 Mar 2015 17:24 #664133 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic 1st Post, 1st KZ, 1st problem... (starter clutch)
thanks so much ed!

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

More
11 Mar 2015 17:38 #664134 by daveo
Whenever possible, use Genuine Kawasaki replacement parts, for the best fit and quality. :cheer:

1982 KZ1100-A2

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
11 Mar 2015 21:13 - 11 Mar 2015 21:15 #664145 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic 1st Post, 1st KZ, 1st problem... (starter clutch)
It is an expensive job in terms of labour and parts. Read up on some oil threads here :blink: , you might just try changing it and seeing if it helps?

Can a kicksatarter be retrofitted to a 1980 750 electric start engine?

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 11 Mar 2015 21:15 by Tyrell Corp.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
12 Mar 2015 02:24 - 12 Mar 2015 02:33 #664152 by DoctoRot

Tyrell Corp wrote: It is an expensive job in terms of labour and parts. Read up on some oil threads here :blink: , you might just try changing it and seeing if it helps?

Can a kicksatarter be retrofitted to a 1980 750 electric start engine?

Yes, they share the same cases as the KZ650 and if the cases are split a kick-starter can be installed. a member over at KZ650.info has done it I believe.

My 650 starter clutch is on its last legs so I just kickstart it, I have only tried the button start a handful of times in the year and a half i have owned it. a 650 in good working order is VERY easy to kick start. even stone cold on a 30 degree day I can kick it first try. before i tore my 750E down to rebuild the head, the starter clutch was toast so i would just bump start it, also super easy to do. the funny thing is how it blows peoples minds when they see you do that, haha
Last edit: 12 Mar 2015 02:33 by DoctoRot.

• Randombeat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
12 Mar 2015 09:08 #664184 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic 1st Post, 1st KZ, 1st problem... (starter clutch)
could you explain bump starting? im assuming you mean roll starting the bike in 3rd or 4th gear, popping the clutch?

ive never done that, but might be something that i could do...

More
12 Mar 2015 09:52 #664188 by 1lanet1864
Replied by 1lanet1864 on topic 1st Post, 1st KZ, 1st problem... (starter clutch)
HAHA! I own a '76 kz, I have kicked it many times as a "crowd pleaser". It is amazing to me how many people don't even know what a kick starter is. I also own a 1984-1/2 Harley w/a kick. That REALLY jacks 'em up!

A.Allison

More
12 Mar 2015 13:43 #664217 by Hairy dan
I just bought the parts you are looking for yesterday from
International Motorcycle Salvage 1-314-385-3334
A World Of Parts At Your Fingertips!
Tell them what you have and what's most important is the tooth count on the sprocket. My flywheel # 21050-1004, punch that number in their search box, it will tell you a lot about the fitment
You can google their nam

More
12 Mar 2015 14:04 #664220 by dom2570
I have an 82 kz750h, I think the starter clutch is going out too. Starter motor is NOS, battery is brand new. Sometimes I'll press the start button and the starter solenoid will click followed by nothing, other I'll hear the starter attempting to turn over and then a click, and then other times it fires right up. Needless to say, I'm getting really good at the bump start!

Whip it like a mule!

More
12 Mar 2015 18:13 #664261 by 650ed

dom2570 wrote: I have an 82 kz750h, I think the starter clutch is going out too. Starter motor is NOS, battery is brand new. Sometimes I'll press the start button and the starter solenoid will click followed by nothing, other I'll hear the starter attempting to turn over and then a click, and then other times it fires right up. Needless to say, I'm getting really good at the bump start!

That does not sound like a starter clutch problem to me. Usually when the starter clutch has a problem it will make a loud noise (like an ooga horn) when it slips. Check all your electrical connections including the ground wire from battery to frame. Ed

More
12 Mar 2015 18:15 #664262 by 650ed

Hairy dan wrote: I just bought the parts you are looking for yesterday from
International Motorcycle Salvage 1-314-385-3334
A World Of Parts At Your Fingertips!
Tell them what you have and what's most important is the tooth count on the sprocket. My flywheel # 21050-1004, punch that number in their search box, it will tell you a lot about the fitment
You can google their nam

If the parts you bought are used, as from a salvage yard, I wouldn't waste my time and energy putting them into the bike. Replacing the starter clutch should be only be done using new parts. Ed