Valve Noise/No compression

More
24 Dec 2013 15:05 #616326 by BIGKEVIN
Replied by BIGKEVIN on topic Valve Noise/No compression
I thought that I had teh cams timed correctly, but I guess that I didn't. When I get the valve in and get it into the head, I will have someone else check the cam setup also to make sure I have everything setup correctly beore and after securing the cam caps and turning over the crank.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2013 07:12 - 25 Dec 2013 07:20 #616368 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Valve Noise/No compression
On this bent valve, what shim size is in there...?
If this was too tight to start with, could have bent from the start.
You may want to open the valve clearance (thinner shim by 2 -3 sizes) for initial setup... Once everything is bolted down to spec, install chain tensioner, rotate crank manually for binding & check/replace shims to spec for all valve clearances.

TDC 1/4 (ignition plate cover markings)....

CAM lobe positions from right side of bike....
NOTE left image where CAM lobe tip off head decking (1 tooth), right side is correct....
Also note chain slack in left image with tensioner out and top idler not installed.

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Dec 2013 07:20 by Old Man Rock.

More
26 Dec 2013 07:39 #616421 by BIGKEVIN
I didn't even think about the shims. I will put thinner shims in the next time and see what happens. I am pretty sure that I had the cams timed correctly.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
26 Dec 2013 18:00 #616480 by BIGKEVIN
I put thinner shims in on all 8 vales and still unable to get the crank to turn. What are the cam caps supposed to be tightened down to ? In the Z1 manaul it says 105 in/lbs while I have read in 2 other places that they should be tightend to between 9 and 12 ft/lbs. I have been tightening don to 105 in/lbs. Could it be that I am tightening down the cam caps too tight on the cam ?

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
26 Dec 2013 18:08 - 26 Dec 2013 18:23 #616483 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Valve Noise/No compression
Your cap torque should not effect engine rotation. I would look the cam installation over again and make sure the are in fact shims in every bucket . I would assume your are using assembly lube?

According to my 1st addition shop Manuel, 105 inch pounds is correct.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 26 Dec 2013 18:23 by Z1Driver.

More
27 Dec 2013 06:44 #616511 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Valve Noise/No compression
My experience is that 105 inch pounds will result in at least two stripped threads - at least it did on my 1000 last summer. For new installation, 105 is probably good, but with an old head, I wouldn't go higher than 90. I set my wrench at 88 and my cams are happy as can be.

There is some collected wisdom that thinks that 105 is just too high. You can go back through the forums and find lots of respected posters that will recommend closer to 90 than 105.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
14 Jan 2014 17:16 #618611 by BIGKEVIN
I finally got back to checking on this. I have the timing mark on the T for cylinders 1 and 4. I installed the cams with the carrot pointing to the top of the block. The exhaust cam carrot pointing to the front of the bike and intake cam pointing towards the back of the bike. I installed the upper chain tensionor and tried turning the 17 mm bolt on the right hand side of the bike, but can only get it to turn about a 1/4 of a turn before I hear a clunking sound and it will not turn anymore. The automatic tensionor is not installed yet. As far as I can tell, I have the cams installed oorrectly and have not been able to figure out why I can not rotate the 17 mm bolt. Any ideas ?

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
14 Jan 2014 17:42 - 14 Jan 2014 18:31 #618613 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Valve Noise/No compression

BIGKEVIN wrote: I finally got back to checking on this. I have the timing mark on the T for cylinders 1 and 4. I installed the cams with the carrot pointing to the top of the block. The exhaust cam carrot pointing to the front of the bike and intake cam pointing towards the back of the bike. I installed the upper chain tensionor and tried turning the 17 mm bolt on the right hand side of the bike, but can only get it to turn about a 1/4 of a turn before I hear a clunking sound and it will not turn anymore. The automatic tensionor is not installed yet. As far as I can tell, I have the cams installed oorrectly and have not been able to figure out why I can not rotate the 17 mm bolt. Any ideas ?

My two cents.
I've had this happen before when setting the exhaust cam without pulling the chain tight before rolling it into the bearings. What I had was a bunched up chain inside just above the crank which prevented crank rotation. Pulled the camshaft out again, while pulling hard on the chain with the left hand and turning the 17mm bolt clockwise to break the jam loose. Don't be timid about turning the crank with the wrench. Just make sure it is lined up with the timing mark before inserting the camshaft gear into the chain, and keep it tight through the process. You should be able to wrench-rotate the crank, while feeling the corresponding movement through the chain (being held tight with the left hand).
Once you got that one in, the rest is a breeze. I hope this makes sense, cause I know what you're going thru...
Good luck. :)
Another thought to add; When putting my cams into the bearings (after a smear of assembly lube on each), I don't use the 6mm bolts to draw the cam/cam-caps down. I prefer to use two Bessey Tradesman woodworking clamps to draw the cam-caps down before inserting the bolts. Then I'll snug each bolt set down, following (very carefully) with the torque wrench. Once set, carefully remove the clamps. This method prevents unnecessarily stressing the threads, and keeps them nice for that final torque. There is a nice recess area provided directly below each cam-cap location to position the fixed end of the clamp into, (at the outer-underside of the J-head casting). You just need to take the plastic cap off the clamp-end for it to fit into the space. I will go through the same process for cam removal.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 14 Jan 2014 18:31 by daveo.

More
14 Jan 2014 17:47 #618616 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Valve Noise/No compression
You need to have the tensinor installed before atempting to rotate the motor over.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
15 Jan 2014 02:34 #618664 by ZERO
Replied by ZERO on topic Valve Noise/No compression
I also use the Kawasaki factory tool to adjust my valves, but it is very easy to bend a valve slightly with the tool since it holds the valve wide open you should only slightly move the crank once installed and do it gently.

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100

More
19 Jan 2014 15:45 #619204 by BIGKEVIN
I try putting it back together again and installing the automatic chain tensionor. With the cams installed, should the #2 cam lobe be pushing the valve down ?

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
05 Feb 2014 15:02 #621252 by BIGKEVIN
I checked on this again after not doing anything for a few weeks. I have the head back on the bike and installed the cams. The exhaust cam lay flat while the intake cam is sticking up on the left hand side due to the #2 lobe on the cam prissing agianst the #2 intake shim. Should the intake cam be laying flat like the exhaust cam ? I have also seen where a clamp is used to push the cam down while you are tightening down the cam caps. Any help would be appreciated.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R