Valve Noise/No compression

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
16 Oct 2013 10:14 #610194 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Valve Noise

BIGKEVIN wrote: Can the head be be removed from the motor while the motor is still in the bike ?

Sure can, easy actually. Use a piece of tie wire to hold up the cam chain, you will need to fish it through the tunnel and tie it off to the frame to hod it. Assembly can be a bit of a trick to fish it back again, helps to have another hand there, but you can do it by yourself as the head isn't that heavy.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2013 10:19 #610197 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Valve Noise
That is true, Motor Head, when reassembling you have to feed the chain back through the head as you set it in place. I did it by myself on my GPz, so I know it can be done.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
16 Oct 2013 10:45 #610207 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Valve Noise/No compression
Voice Of Experience:

Lock down your cam chain tensioner if you have an automatic unit. Having the tensioner parts "fire" into the oil pan WILL make you cuss.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
16 Oct 2013 10:50 #610209 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Valve Noise/No compression

Cynjut wrote: Voice Of Experience:

Lock down your cam chain tensioner if you have an automatic unit. Having the tensioner parts "fire" into the oil pan WILL make you cuss.

Personally, I just remove it and it is no longer in the equation. Also a good time to rebuild it while it is off.

1983 GPz 750

More
16 Oct 2013 11:06 #610213 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Valve Noise/No compression
That would have been terrific advice BEFORE I ended up pulling the bottom of the engine. :-)

To give you an idea how bad that day ended up going - I ended up pulling the entire engine to fix that particular mistake. It ended up being the start of a whole list of things I wasn't planning on doing and added WEEKS to my rebuild schedule, mostly because I ended up opening the tranny and plastigauging the mains.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
16 Oct 2013 11:29 #610219 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic Valve Noise

Motor Head wrote:

BIGKEVIN wrote: Can the head be be removed from the motor while the motor is still in the bike ?

Sure can, easy actually. Use a piece of tie wire to hold up the cam chain, you will need to fish it through the tunnel and tie it off to the frame to hod it. Assembly can be a bit of a trick to fish it back again, helps to have another hand there, but you can do it by yourself as the head isn't that heavy.

Yeap did it on my last KZ900, not a problem at all.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

More
16 Oct 2013 11:35 #610221 by koolaid_kid

Cynjut wrote: That would have been terrific advice BEFORE I ended up pulling the bottom of the engine. :-)

To give you an idea how bad that day ended up going - I ended up pulling the entire engine to fix that particular mistake. It ended up being the start of a whole list of things I wasn't planning on doing and added WEEKS to my rebuild schedule, mostly because I ended up opening the tranny and plastigauging the mains.

LOL. Live and learn, right? I can't count how many times I split the cases on my engine before I got everything right.

1983 GPz 750

More
16 Oct 2013 20:33 #610276 by BIGKEVIN
Replied by BIGKEVIN on topic Valve Noise/No compression
I have a couple of questions. How do I know if I have the automatic cam chain tensioner ? Also, what head gasket and exhaust valve do I order, if I find out that the exhaust valve is bent ?

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
16 Oct 2013 22:50 #610280 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Valve Noise/No compression

BIGKEVIN wrote: I have a couple of questions. How do I know if I have the automatic cam chain tensioner ? Also, what head gasket and exhaust valve do I order, if I find out that the exhaust valve is bent ?

I would check with z1enterprises.com, they list the valves for your bike, and I would get a top end gasket set as its more than likely cheaper than individual gaskets. The o-rings for around the studs for the oil galleys will be separate. Those z1 guy's can set you up with everything you need at a reasonable price.
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...eper&item=EM18-55821

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
17 Oct 2013 07:33 #610304 by koolaid_kid
The factory chain tensioner is an automatic tensioner. If it looks like the one in your factory service manual, it is an automatic tensioner. Pull it, rebuild it, and go another 30 years.

1983 GPz 750

More
17 Oct 2013 21:12 #610386 by BIGKEVIN
Replied by BIGKEVIN on topic Valve Noise/No compression
I have emailed Z1 for parts needed if the valve is indeed bent. I do have a question or two about removing the cams. The Haynes manual says to rotate the crankshaft until the 'T' mark for the 2&4 cylinders is alinged with the timing mark. I did this, but I do not see any marks on the end of the cams to ensure that it is aligned with the cylinder head. I do show the 28th pin mark on the intake valve where the Haynes manual shows it should be. I read somewhere that you can take different color finger nail polish to mark the cam/chain to ensure that they are put back together and be timed correctly. This is my first time doing this, so forgive for asking so many questions.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
17 Oct 2013 22:52 #610391 by Lt.Dan
Replied by Lt.Dan on topic Valve Noise/No compression
Z1 kawasaki's did not have an automatic cam chain tensioner. The bolt and nut 10MM face the left side of the bike.

Cynjut wrote: Voice Of Experience: