bore kit

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
18 Jan 2011 14:41 #423325 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic bore kit
yeah it'll take it, but for how long? now that's the question.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
18 Jan 2011 14:49 #423327 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic bore kit
Find a friend who welds, weld the crank pins.
Put a heavy duty main bearing plate cap on it.
Your good to go

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2011 15:31 - 18 Jan 2011 15:36 #423333 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic bore kit
kzgeary wrote:

ok so would the bottom end take a 1105 kit with 10.25:1 compression or not

I'd shy away from 1105 kit and go either 1075 or bite the bullet and go 1197. 1105 will work but the sleeves are getting too thin IMO for a sound, long lasting street motor.

If you're talking about needing the crank welded, I'll say this. If it's a good, KZ 1000 crank and you're not going to put a slick and wheelie bar on it, you don't need to weld it.

On the other hand, If I'm spending the money for a totally fresh top end, the cases are coming apart and everything is getting inspected plus a new cam chain.

Never toss big money into a 30 year old motor unless you have inspected it completely :)

JMO.... other's will surely feel contrary or give you reasons why they would. I'm not here to argue logic, only offer you suggestions that are based on a lot of years with these old KZ's :)

Just don' waste your money on BS34 carburetors and you'll probably be just fine :woohoo:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2011 15:36 by larrycavan.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2011 18:11 #423396 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic bore kit
larrycavan wrote:

DoubleDub wrote:

andy9802gt wrote:

Popular opinion is it takes a 10.25:1 1075, ported head, and your choice of aftermarket carbs to make 130- 150 hp at the crank which is about 110- 120 at the wheel. If you want things to be bulletproof then you have to weld the crank and back cut the tranny and put in studs. Hell I just want to give the young guys fits stop light to stop light on their "race bikes"

FWIW, it costs a lot of nickels and dimes to get 150 horsepower. Going quick isn't cheap.:angry:

Hmm...more optimistic than I've seen, but I'll defer to the more experienced. Not my realm of expertise!

It's called being realistic :) and he's right on the money.

Like I said...I defer.

More
18 Jan 2011 18:20 #423399 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic bore kit
larrycavan wrote:

kzgeary wrote:

I'd shy away from 1105 kit and go either 1075 or bite the bullet and go 1197. 1105 will work but the sleeves are getting too thin IMO for a sound, long lasting street motor.

If you're talking about needing the crank welded, I'll say this. If it's a good, KZ 1000 crank and you're not going to put a slick and wheelie bar on it, you don't need to weld it.

On the other hand, If I'm spending the money for a totally fresh top end, the cases are coming apart and everything is getting inspected plus a new cam chain.

Never toss big money into a 30 year old motor unless you have inspected it completely :)

JMO.... other's will surely feel contrary or give you reasons why they would. I'm not here to argue logic, only offer you suggestions that are based on a lot of years with these old KZ's :)

Just don' waste your money on BS34 carburetors and you'll probably be just fine :woohoo:

yeah but if its allready apart why not spend $75 and have the crank done,then you never need to get back in there again if you decide you want to hotrod it down the road. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2011 07:24 #423498 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic bore kit
PLUMMEN wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

kzgeary wrote:

yeah but if its allready apart why not spend $75 and have the crank done,then you never need to get back in there again if you decide you want to hotrod it down the road. B)

I would agree, IF it's torn down, but the price is likely to be closer to $200 - $250 if it's got to be shipped out.

1000 cranks used to hold up to mild street builds like that. But there's been a lot of water over the dam since those days Jim.

More
19 Jan 2011 10:53 #423546 by PLUMMEN
i think worst case scenario.
with all those years of twisting wire nuts my right wrist sometimes sticks in wide open position(arthritis ya know! :woohoo: ),google my dmv record sometime! :blush: :woohoo:
as crazy as people seem to be about these 180 radial tires these days,thats a lot of rubber to hook up whether its a slick or or not. B)

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
19 Jan 2011 12:29 #423565 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic bore kit
larrycavan wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

kzgeary wrote:

I would agree, IF it's torn down, but the price is likely to be closer to $200 - $250 if it's got to be shipped out.

1000 cranks used to hold up to mild street builds like that. But there's been a lot of water over the dam since those days Jim.

I just paid $475 for mine to be completey torn down, cleaned, shot peened, honed the big and little ends, replaced the #5 thrust with roller bearing, indexed, welded, and trued. I hope it never breaks 'cuz I want to go 1197 in a year or two.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

More
21 Jan 2011 19:55 #424234 by kzgeary
Replied by kzgeary on topic bore kit
woudl a 1075 kit with 410 cams be ok on a stock bottom end

More
21 Jan 2011 20:25 #424249 by PLUMMEN
probably would run fine for years,but check things out first

More
31 Jan 2011 21:33 #427567 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic bore kit
I have an 1105 and it doesn't like the FL heat at all especially on longer rides in hot weather. Cooler weather isn't too bad but when it gets hot it heats up pretty bad. Once I can get the scratch together I'm planning on going back to either a 1015 or 1075 I'm looking to build something will handle the heat well. My head has had some porting done but I want to find a good balance between performance and reliability for the heat.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
01 Feb 2011 02:33 #427591 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic bore kit
Deja....

Hell if I can run mine in AZ heat, so can you...
NOTE: Stop and go traffic, well hell not going to help but if your moving.... NICE!

Need one of these then.... ;)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments: