KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT

More
17 Oct 2010 18:56 #407306 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
just a little tip......you have LTD in your avatar and A2 in your sig......a 78 LTD is a B2.....if and when you go to redo the electrics or replace the wiring harness, there are a few small differences...namely in the area of the front turn signals and headlite bucket.....seeing as how you have it stripped, redline has a complete repro harness....might be smart to trash the 30 plus year old brittle stuff....

redlinecycle.com/Wire%20Harness.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2010 18:59 #407308 by keith1
DoubleDub wrote:

Cheapest and most efficient aren't the same.

Cheapest is a roll of strip sandpaper from Harbor Freight. You can wrap it around the frame and sand to your hearts content. Will take a good amount of time, though.

that frame isnt bad......i d degrease the hell out of it, 3m scotchbrite it, and spray your favorite way......but thats just me...:dry:

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
17 Oct 2010 19:14 - 18 Oct 2010 19:55 #407311 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
the bike has chips missing. i have spent too many hours sanding when i painted my 68 camaro. countless hours....sandpaper makes me cringe. a light once over, ok, but sandpaper and elbow grease plus hours of work is for the birds imo.

www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Ru...entifier=660023_0_0_

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?
Last edit: 18 Oct 2010 19:55 by Tony.

More
17 Oct 2010 19:21 #407313 by keith1
id also ditch the LTD "sitting at the dinner table" bars as my "triple" riding buddy used to call them 20 years ago....get a set of superbike bars and if you really want quick turn in, drop the headset down 1.5 inches on the tubes.......cheap way to make it handle a little better....after new springs and oil of course.......oil choice will affect handling also.....lots of variables here.....

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
17 Oct 2010 19:21 #407314 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
Aircraft Paint stripper in a can and some cheap paint brushes. Wear gloves and eye protection in a well ventilated area, it's NASTY stuff.

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
17 Oct 2010 19:24 #407316 by kz1k
porchev914 wrote:

Aircraft Paint stripper in a can and some cheap paint brushes. Wear gloves and eye protection in a well ventilated area, it's NASTY stuff.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

More
17 Oct 2010 19:29 #407320 by keith1
kz1k wrote:

the bike has chips missing. fuck sanding it. i have spent too many hours sanding when i painted my 68 camaro. countless hours....sandpaper makes me cringe. a light once over, ok, but sandpaper and elbow grease plus hours of work is for the birds imo.

that will work.....but just make sure you cover that steel up quick and right.....bare metal and florida dont mix....
if you strip it and water it down and put primer on it...aint gonna work...i would think you are going to need some kind of acid etcher.....

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
17 Oct 2010 19:31 #407322 by kz1k
keith1 wrote:

kz1k wrote:

the bike has chips missing. fuck sanding it. i have spent too many hours sanding when i painted my 68 camaro. countless hours....sandpaper makes me cringe. a light once over, ok, but sandpaper and elbow grease plus hours of work is for the birds imo.

that will work.....but just make sure you cover that steel up quick and right.....bare metal and florida dont mix....
if you strip it and water it down and put primer on it...aint gonna work...i would think you are going to need some kind of acid etcher.....

ill strip it, water it down, clean it with acetone and hit it with primer.

1978 KZ1000A2

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
17 Oct 2010 19:32 #407323 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
Joe, that aircraft stripper will remove the paint in a hurry, but you need to be ready to take action quickly if you strip it that way. If the humidity in Florida is anything like it is here in Houston, it will start to flash rust immediately after you strip it. Be ready to shoot it with primer as soon as you get it clean. Make sure to read the instructions and neutralize the the chemical properly or you'll have problems with your paint.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
17 Oct 2010 20:00 #407326 by kz1k
thanks test. good tips.

1978 KZ1000A2

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
17 Oct 2010 20:08 #407329 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
After you rinse it down, make sure to take a blowgun to all the corners and blow out all the water that may be trapped. It pools up behind the rear shock mounts and such. That stuff will take a lot of time to dry if you don't blow it out. Then it will make it's appearance at the worst moment. When you are painting.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
17 Oct 2010 20:43 #407331 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1K'S ENGINE PROJECT
Could have frame powder-coated, where sand-blast is part of the process.

Could diy sand-blast, or have it done, before painting.

Might also consider diy soda-blasting.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD