Tore it down a bit.......

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
24 Jan 2010 09:05 #344290 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Tore it down a bit.......
That is the first i have heard about shaving the dampers.
I do question how the dampers could aid to leakage. they are only rubber, so they are not that difficult to compress, considering the head is torqued to 37 to 42 ftlbs or so.
the dampers seem to be there to allow a minor amount of cushion or shock absorbsion for the cam chain . The same as the cam chain gears have rubber centers. so u would be providing a little more slack in the system, if u shaved them, however minimal.
u have chosen Liska components. my understanding of Liska's is there are no rubbers in them to provide shock absorbsion. Plus u shaved the rubbers. Is this wise for a street ride?
Food for thought.
Mark.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2010 09:32 #344294 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Tore it down a bit.......
mark1122 wrote:

That is the first i have heard about shaving the dampers.
I do question how the dampers could aid to leakage. they are only rubber, so they are not that difficult to compress, considering the head is torqued to 37 to 42 ftlbs or so.
the dampers seem to be there to allow a minor amount of cushion or shock absorbsion for the cam chain . The same as the cam chain gears have rubber centers. so u would be providing a little more slack in the system, if u shaved them, however minimal.
u have chosen Liska components. my understanding of Liska's is there are no rubbers in them to provide shock absorbsion. Plus u shaved the rubbers. Is this wise for a street ride?
Food for thought.
Mark.

i m sure they will be fine .....

More
25 Jan 2010 06:16 - 25 Jan 2010 06:19 #344457 by keith1
www.redlinecycle.com/Blocks.html

i didnt pull this stuff from thin airB)
Last edit: 25 Jan 2010 06:19 by keith1.

More
25 Jan 2010 06:18 #344458 by keith1
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=2&id=248725

the thread it came from...hopefully link works

More
25 Jan 2010 16:59 #344534 by keith1
helloooooooo...is this thing on?..tap tap....got awful quiet
in here with some history..........:laugh:

More
25 Jan 2010 17:09 #344541 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Tore it down a bit.......
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I give up, wasn't me this time....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
25 Jan 2010 17:18 #344544 by keith1
Old Man Rock wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I give up, wasn't me this time....

its all good....i just wanted to show that people with just a tad bit more experience than most of us deem this mod to the dampers as legit....i didnt want you guys to think this was something i pulled out my ass....makes sense to me....

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
26 Jan 2010 05:42 - 26 Jan 2010 05:48 #344622 by mark1122
keith1 wrote:

This must be directed at me. Sorry i wasn't waiting by my computer for your response.

As I look at the pic of the rubber damper, I see that without the damper in place, the oil would go directly into the O ring channel. Not a problem when the damper and Oring used in there stock form. The damper will compress and SEAL the passage to the oring channel. But they have reduced the damper size, to .030” to .040” below the surface.I can't see haw a mere .020" of rubber could prevent a good seal? They have also left the silicone in the O ring channel, below the top of the blocks surface. To me this will lead to the o ring channel filling with oil. I don’t see how this will be a good a way to reduce oil leakage. I gave this issue some thought when I built my 1st motor, and came to the conclusion that the silicone should be JUST proud of the surface. This will allow the silicone to act as the o ring did. What would be the point of adding silicone ,if it did not fill this channel? how could it serve any purpose at all? This is just my opinion .
Personally I find it difficult to get the right answer to a problem, on the net. There are often many dif opinions. I like to ask a LOT of questions, look at ALL the answers from a logical point of view and then form my own opinion for my own builds.
I try to pass on intelligent info to the forum hear, and often supply both points of view, if there is no real obvious , best way. This is not my info, as I have learned it from others on the net.
I hope I have not been coming across as a know it all.
1 thing about trying to get a point across on the net, is that u can easily be misunderstood in the way u are TRYING to come across.
I seems I have hit a nerve.
If u are bothered by hearing my perspective, I will gladly re-frame from answering your future posts.
Mark

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jan 2010 05:48 by mark1122.

More
26 Jan 2010 06:06 #344626 by keith1
mark1122 wrote:

keith1 wrote:

This must be directed at me. Sorry i wasn't waiting by my computer for your response.

As I look at the pic of the rubber damper, I see that without the damper in place, the oil would go directly into the O ring channel. Not a problem when the damper and Oring used in there stock form. The damper will compress and SEAL the passage to the oring channel. But they have reduced the damper size, to .030” to .040” below the surface.I can't see haw a mere .020" of rubber could prevent a good seal? They have also left the silicone in the O ring channel, below the top of the blocks surface. To me this will lead to the o ring channel filling with oil. I don’t see how this will be a good a way to reduce oil leakage. I gave this issue some thought when I built my 1st motor, and came to the conclusion that the silicone should be JUST proud of the surface. This will allow the silicone to act as the o ring did. What would be the point of adding silicone ,if it did not fill this channel? how could it serve any purpose at all? This is just my opinion .
Personally I find it difficult to get the right answer to a problem, on the net. There are often many dif opinions. I like to ask a LOT of questions, look at ALL the answers from a logical point of view and then form my own opinion for my own builds.
I try to pass on intelligent info to the forum hear, and often supply both points of view, if there is no real obvious , best way. This is not my info, as I have learned it from others on the net.
I hope I have not been coming across as a know it all.
1 thing about trying to get a point across on the net, is that u can easily be misunderstood in the way u are TRYING to come across.
I seems I have hit a nerve.
If u are bothered by hearing my perspective, I will gladly re-frame from answering your future posts.
Mark

mark,
no problems here....my remarks are not aimed at anyone in particular....just wanted to show my reasoning for my decision to do what i did and hopefully add some info to the collective...i can be a bit of a ball buster in my writing sometimes....thats just me....by no means do i wish you to refrain from contributing your point of view and experience......keith

More
26 Jan 2010 06:10 #344629 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Tore it down a bit.......

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
26 Jan 2010 06:26 #344633 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Tore it down a bit.......
Well said Kieth...

keep it real.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
26 Jan 2010 09:23 #344663 by mark1122
keith1 wrote:

mark1122 wrote:

keith1 wrote:

mark,
no problems here....my remarks are not aimed at anyone in particular....just wanted to show my reasoning for my decision to do what i did and hopefully add some info to the collective...i can be a bit of a ball buster in my writing sometimes....thats just me....by no means do i wish you to refrain from contributing your point of view and experience......keith

No problems here either. Carry on bud.B)

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)