Tore it down a bit.......

More
16 Dec 2009 17:57 #339305 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Tore it down a bit.......
And the answer is....... late exhaust opening is equal to late exhaust close, which is equal to the piston traveling downward on,,, yesss! you got it! The intake stroke, which results in vaccuum at the exaust port, which includes the exhaust guide, wich inevitably ("big word there huh")and makes me wonder do the parentheses belong inside or outside, the quotations and futher more is that how u spell paraquadracamdramatic oil confunction? Allright then thats how you chambered up brown. My right hand says tha t late opening of the exhaust cam crappy polluted exhaust gas under pressure is suddenly blasted through the exhaust port and up through the guide and seal. And man you been working those seals like a 2 dollar hoe, or nother zample me a birds eye veiw of larry the cable guys rear opening. Can u tell i quit smoking? Don't worry the pracs study is for alzheimers. :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2009 18:21 #339311 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Tore it down a bit.......
nads.com wrote:

And the answer is....... late exhaust opening is equal to late exhaust close, which is equal to the piston traveling downward on,,, yesss! you got it! The intake stroke, which results in vaccuum at the exaust port, which includes the exhaust guide, wich inevitably ("big word there huh")and makes me wonder do the parentheses belong inside or outside, the quotations and futher more is that how u spell paraquadracamdramatic oil confunction? Allright then thats how you chambered up brown. My right hand says tha t late opening of the exhaust cam crappy polluted exhaust gas under pressure is suddenly blasted through the exhaust port and up through the guide and seal. And man you been working those seals like a 2 dollar hoe, or nother zample me a birds eye veiw of larry the cable guys rear opening. Can u tell i quit smoking? Don't worry the pracs study is for alzheimers. :woohoo:

thanks for the input....somehow i am on a parallel mental plane at the present time and i concur totally....you have pretty much confirmed what i was thinking already, with the input of others, that the head needs gone through again...the damage is all on me and my lack of attention to the basics.......i am farming this work out as i dont have the patience or equipment to do this properly........B)

More
16 Dec 2009 18:35 #339317 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Tore it down a bit.......
I think all you need is new valve seals and pressure test the valves afterward before it's put together. As long as the seats are not pitted on the exhaust side it should be lap (Machine shop can do this too) and go. If you want port work that's up to you. Pretty cheap fix to have local auto machine shop put new seals and vacuum test/lap if needed.

More
17 Dec 2009 05:06 - 17 Dec 2009 05:37 #339360 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Tore it down a bit.......
Ahhhhhh, now we're getting somewhere I believe...

"basically the 28 mark should be at 12 o clock on intake cam"... Even with adjustable cams the intake doesn't come out at 12:00 where 10/11:00 is about right...

Also noted and maybe I just miss understood correctly, but the exhaust dimple/line is parallel to the head deck correct. But you're suppose to start your pin count one up then count 28 over....

If above holds true you'd only be 27 over thus one pin count off.... Possibly 2-3 pins off since you seem to go the 12:00 method for the intake dimple.... :pinch: :whistle:

When all is aligned correctly, your lobe centers will be aiming directly at each other when viewed from right side of bike for cylinder 4 lobes....

Same time, you may be ok with proper alignment... One pin off would make it smoke sure but not necessarily bend a valve and such... Hopefully anyways....

The others provided some methods to test for bent valve so give her a whirl to confirm... A leak down test would confirm a bent valve as well....

BTW, since you most likely already have the head off, I'm with you 100% on sending it to Larry to check it out.. ;)

As mentioned previously in my case, I didn't listen to his advice fully and went cheap on the seals and unfortunately not installing new exhaust valves on the initial valve job. Well of course, the old girl smoked and exhaust valve # 1 wouldn't hold to spec in clearance.

So off to Larry this time with OEM seals and new exhaust valves... Unfortunately new head gasket as well @ $50 :pinch: All better!.... Yes I too can be a dumbass at times....:blush:

Ah well, learn the heard way I guess.... Wonder where my daughter gets this from, hmmm.... :blink: :laugh:

Maybe this will help...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Dec 2009 05:37 by Old Man Rock.

More
21 Dec 2009 17:14 - 21 Dec 2009 17:34 #340184 by keith1
well, the head is going off to larry.....new seals and guides and a street port......already pulled pan and put in a pump with 9k on it from a 78 1000 b2 that was parted out,
new pump o'ring and a new pan with the gate mod and o'ring and gasket.....the only thing i found in pan was bits from the old tensioner roller and hi temp rtv lumps...the rtv is my bad....the groove will be filled with a lot less this time....apparently i put wayyyy too much in......all part of the learning curve i guess.....the oil cooler lines are gonna be replaced with a little bling from jegs and will be re-routed around rightside of motor.....tranny looked good after pulling pan and i am going to inspect clutch and basket.....havent yet found the source of the small metal bits.......B)
Last edit: 21 Dec 2009 17:34 by keith1.

More
27 Dec 2009 14:30 - 27 Dec 2009 14:31 #340856 by keith1
awaiting new valve guides from APE and new valve seals from babbits......cleaned up the exhaust clamps and put on new braided hose for oil cooler.....anyone have any pics of oil cooler hose routed around the outside of motor? looking for ideas to make it look a little cleaner......
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Dec 2009 14:31 by keith1. Reason: forgot pics

More
27 Dec 2009 14:31 #340857 by keith1
keith1 wrote:

awaiting new valve guides from APE and new valve seals from babbits......cleaned up the exhaust clamps and put on new braided hose for oil cooler.....anyone have any pics of oil cooler hose routed around the outside of motor? looking for ideas to make it look a little cleaner......

Attachments:

More
27 Dec 2009 14:32 #340858 by keith1
keith1 wrote:

keith1 wrote:

Attachments:

More
27 Dec 2009 17:22 #340876 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Tore it down a bit.......
how about running lines over top of motor? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
27 Dec 2009 17:49 #340882 by keith1
PLUMMEN wrote:

how about running lines over top of motor? B)

thats what i had....rubber lines up under tank...i figured i could shorten the distance to cooler and back for better/quicker pressure on startup and add a little bling...i ve seen pics where they have been routed around engine and it looked pretty sweet...its at the kinda "rough stage " cosmetically right now.....just trying to get ideas.......

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
28 Dec 2009 10:11 #340960 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Tore it down a bit.......
Somebody around here posted a pic of oil lines running through the fins. RoyNor maybe???

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
28 Dec 2009 10:26 #340963 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Tore it down a bit.......
Can't remember where I got this from, I believe it was off one of our European members GPZ this is a different approach and extremely clean runs....

Me likey! B)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments: