Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
12 Nov 2009 13:23 #333148 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
I know that I would run them on my own motor if need be...

These things are not rocket science. Hell being air cooled means they come with excessive ring gaps to begin with. Not that that is the same as an out of round ring... but 1mm out of round, on a piston ring (which by its very nature is ment to be under tension) Maybe it's redneck, but it don't scare me.

To each their own...

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
12 Nov 2009 13:52 #333152 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
If you don't have a cylinder bore guage or any way to measure cylinder runout, this will suffice for a stock rebuild.

Put the ring in the cylinder at a point about half way between the top of the bore and the bottom of the piston travel. The section of the bore where the rings actually ride.

Square it up and hold it so you can view to see if light is coming between the ring and the cylinder wall.

Check the piston to cylinder clearance.

If the piston to cyl. clearance is within spec and you don't see visible light between the ring and the cylinder wall, then check the ring end gap.

If ring end gap doesn't exceed the service limit you can ball hone the block and install new rings.

Make sure the block get's the hot soapy water wash out with a brush. Rinse it and then swab the bores with oil using a clean white rag until the rag stops discoloring.

More
12 Nov 2009 16:54 - 12 Nov 2009 18:15 #333187 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
hardr0ck68 wrote: "For the most part these bikes are not collectors items(the z1's and some other odd exceptions excluded), they are junk..."

You may consider your bike "junk" but some of us take a little more pride in our ride. See pic below for bike that is not junk:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Nov 2009 18:15 by 650ed.

More
12 Nov 2009 17:01 #333192 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
larrycavan wrote:

If you don't have a cylinder bore guage or any way to measure cylinder runout, this will suffice for a stock rebuild.

Put the ring in the cylinder at a point about half way between the top of the bore and the bottom of the piston travel. The section of the bore where the rings actually ride.

Square it up and hold it so you can view to see if light is coming between the ring and the cylinder wall.

Check the piston to cylinder clearance.

If the piston to cyl. clearance is within spec and you don't see visible light between the ring and the cylinder wall, then check the ring end gap.

If ring end gap doesn't exceed the service limit you can ball hone the block and install new rings.

Make sure the block get's the hot soapy water wash out with a brush. Rinse it and then swab the bores with oil using a clean white rag until the rag stops discoloring.

i agree with that except i prefer cab cleaner sprayed on wadded up toilet paper and scrub till you get no more black crud ,tp wont leave lint like shop rags in my ezperiance anyway. what say you arai59 master engine builder extraordinare(spell check! :S :laugh: )

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
12 Nov 2009 17:13 #333202 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
hardr0ck68 wrote:

There ain't no harm in running file fit rings, yes they ain't silly putty; but it's ONE FRIGGING mm...

OMR; you sure take pokes at you worse than Steel did when he was on the receiving end of your BS. Those who can't take it and all....

For the most part these bikes are not collectors items(the z1's and some other odd exceptions excluded), they are junk... the real issue is no one makes parts for junk. When parts are made it is in limited numbers, low volume means higher costs (economies of scale). So either cob it together, or get creative (sometimes both).... or if you are old as dirt then go ahead and cash out your 401K and fight for the left over 20+ year old NOS parts.

there are a lot of people on this site who take a lot of pride in their rides, no matter the condition.....i guess we are all not so lucky to have a junkyard dog guarding our rides in a mud-puddle........

More
12 Nov 2009 17:38 #333223 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
bountyhunter wrote:

The pro that bored mine actually required I give hime the pistons to be installed which he marked Left and Right (not just the factory manual specs for hole size), then he cut the cylinders to EXACTLY fit the pistons with the nominal piston/cylinder clearance.[/quote]

mine did as well. any engine builder worth his salt will bore each cylinder to the piston.
i was just trying to make a point with the "one fricking mm" statement.
a lot of emotions were brought out by hardrock's statements.
i know mine ain't junk. but even if it was, it's still MINE.
650ed, you have one of the sweetest 650's i've ever seen.

i'm going to reserve any negative comments to spare feelings here.
i think i will let sleeping dogs lie.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
12 Nov 2009 17:53 #333236 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
12 Nov 2009 17:55 #333238 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
OMR; you sure take pokes at you worse than Steel did when he was on the receiving end of your BS. Those who can't take it and all....

For the most part these bikes are not collectors items(the z1's and some other odd exceptions excluded), they are junk... the real issue is no one makes parts for junk. When parts are made it is in limited numbers, low volume means higher costs (economies of scale). So either cob it together, or get creative (sometimes both).... or if you are old as dirt then go ahead and cash out your 401K and fight for the left over 20+ year old NOS parts.

Hardrock.... "You take pokes at you"...
That doesn't even make sense....

Now in trying to decipher your statement, I believe you were depicting that Steel and I had a falling out or something... On the contrary numbnuts, Steel and I have never had words (good or bad) so really don't even know WTF your speaking of.

As for your second paragraph of Psycho babble... Are you actually that ignorant to state on a web site whose members are for the most part KZ enthusiasts who love these magnificent old machines, thoroughly enjoy learning their internal and external workings and for the most part truly enjoy re-building them....

To call them JUNK! Why the hell are you here then...

Yup, I guess you are that ignorant....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
12 Nov 2009 19:10 #333285 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
hardr0ck68 wrote:

I know that I would run them on my own motor if need be...

These things are not rocket science. Hell being air cooled means they come with excessive ring gaps to begin with. Not that that is the same as an out of round ring... but 1mm out of round, on a piston ring (which by its very nature is ment to be under tension) Maybe it's redneck, but it don't scare me.

To each their own...

But on the upside, with that much ring blowby one could pick up some spare cash using his bike as a cropduster....:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• hardr0ck68
  • User
More
12 Nov 2009 19:32 - 12 Nov 2009 19:34 #333295 by hardr0ck68
Hey I know my bike is a POS, but it runs; and runs well... even if I drop 10G into it; the value will only be about 2g on ebay. That has to tell you something about the bikes we ride. Now drop 10G into a Z1 and you might turn 25G on ebay if the numbers are good and you do the work well.

Dropping 10g into it (which I might before I am done) won't let it run with an r6 or even a 650R.... they are just to old and heavy. 2 valve air cooled just can't do the job 4 valves with water cooling can.

Why did I buy mine? It was cheap and people told me it would never run.... I just can't turn down a challenge like that. Plus, with such an outdated turd, there is no end to the projects I can take on (with an r6, what can you do? the 520 "mod" or add crazy expensive rearsets?). With my 650 adding $40 used zx6 rearsets is a "cool mod" if I owned the zx6 I would need to drop $400 on aftermarket rearsets for a "cool mod." Don't get me wrong, I love my bike; but to deny what it is to to lie to myself....

As for file fit rings spraying oil, when I swap motors this winter I will put file fit rings in my current street motor (137psi in 1 and 4; 147psi in 2 and 3; leak down held well I forget the numbers but it was well within spec.) I don't know when I will have a chance to run that motor again, but when I do I will post all the information.

OMR If you need a visual drop your pants, look down and multiply by 2... that's a millimeter, to most folks that is not much, but I know it seems big to you.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2009 19:34 by hardr0ck68.

More
12 Nov 2009 19:41 #333300 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Ewww.... Ouch, such harshness from a young pup who doesn't know jack...

Let me guess... between 21-26 years old... yeah, figure that's about right...

"Dropping 10g into it (which I might before I am done) won't let it run with an r6 or even a 650R.... they are just to old and heave."... 10g huh, Who you BSing....

Well post your project and your progress, otherwise SHTFU kid...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• hardr0ck68
  • User
More
12 Nov 2009 19:52 - 12 Nov 2009 19:53 #333304 by hardr0ck68
the hivo crankshaft is on the way, when It gets here it will be re-directed to APE or Falicon.... I have not decided yet.

Don't worry my project will move right along. Bottom end this year top end next.

I am 28, but I feel 21; I bet your hemorrhoids feel at least that old.

1977 kz650 c1

Last edit: 12 Nov 2009 19:53 by hardr0ck68.