Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?

More
09 Nov 2009 17:10 #332446 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Hell, I'd take the one in the back ground (Plummen's Sister I think) for I know she'd love me...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2009 17:10 #332447 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Patton wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

...these old beauties have become collector items due to there's not many more of these old girls around. Then there's old farts as myself who fell in love with these old girls way back when...when they're used up they become extinct in some cases and expensive in others where to some worth very penny...As in my case... sure, I could of went real cheap...just to get the old girl running but I have been waiting for 30 years for this moment...for a 30 year old...crappy screw...that's they way it just works in the world... Any hobby/passion regardless what it is, if the numbers are low, it's not cheap...this analogy is going to cost me...
Fat Trailer Park girl:
6 pack of beer....
Smoking hot babe with a kickin bod:
...trust me.

You go, OMR! :cheer:

looks like your stuck between omr (hardass) and a fat ass! :S :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Nov 2009 08:12 #332613 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Old Man Rock wrote:

. . .
Since your post title says it all, you can't afford it, trust me. ;)

You know . . . I was interested in what you had to offer, until I read this smart ass comment.

It isn't the first time I have seen this sarcastic kind of thing on this website.

I came in here a few months ago because I had a problem with a fuel level indicator circuit.

The smart ass in that thread indicated that I should step on the bulb to fix the problem.

If I had a Harley, and asked questions about pistons, someone might have an idea or two about modifying a GM piston to work.

But I come into here. . . and ask a world-wide resource base about parts supplies, and get immature commentary from fools, instead of help.

If you have nothing helpful to offer, don't make jokes at someone else's expense. It doesn't indicate you are very bright when you do.

Jonathan Gilbert

More
10 Nov 2009 08:32 #332617 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Lighten up a little bit. Pony up a little cash and get the bike back on the road. These bikes are not cheap to restore and I am sure that someone will help you out. Just bear with the BS that comes along with it and try not to be too sensitive. We are motorcyclists not flourists. :kiss:

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
10 Nov 2009 09:20 - 10 Nov 2009 09:25 #332620 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Yeah dude, chill! I am a broke as phuq muthaphuqa, I just got outta University and pay a grand a month for student debt, I am looking for every cheap thing I can find too (funny enough I drive a ghetto-yota 87 pickup myself cause I'm poor) but I make due. You can do it too, you just can't take offence to little pokes.

A lot of the guys here have spent many thousands on their bikes, so when they see a thread asking about cheap rebuild parts it's like walking into a mensa meeting and asking if hooked on phonics works...you have to expect some ribbing.

As has been mentioned call Z1E, or email a specific query to them, they can help for sure. Good luck man, if I can do it so can you, it may just take some more time to get all the parts. I have increased my bike budget for the winter by not going out when my buds go drinking, I have limited my self to ( :S ) 12 beers a week, and I now drink cheap beer. Every little bit helps :)

Just for the record, a fat trailer park broad with a 6 pack in her will eat like its her last meal. B)
Last edit: 10 Nov 2009 09:25 by 9am53.

More
10 Nov 2009 12:23 #332656 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
i didn't see omr's post as rude, rather he was being honest. sure you might find an old bike for cheap. depending on it's condition there is a chance you can get it back on the road for a modest cost. that said, many of the really cheap old kz's need big bucks to regain anything close to road worthy.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
10 Nov 2009 14:11 - 10 Nov 2009 14:12 #332670 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
ahhh I think there is alot of BS in this thread.

Why do you want new pistons and rings? Have you spec. out your old kit? If they are still in speck they will still make the compression you need!

Check your cylinders for round. If they are good and in spec run a hone down them. Then check your rings end gap. If still in spec. run them. If not hunt ebay for used piston sets (ushally go for under $20 for all 4) wait till you can snag a set and check the rings on those.

If you trust file fit parts I have a set of +1mm rings with those you can simply put the rings to the bores and obtain the correct end gap with a file. It takes time to get it right, but eventually you will get the end gap correct. Many folks on this forum do not trust file fit rings, but it is a common practice (google it). I have never tried it, but it does not scare me, i think it would work out well. PM me I will let them go for a fair price.

With these bikes, cheap often means scrounging... it was not always like this. When I first bought my 650 I remember seeing all kinds of cheap parts; but for some reason it all seems to have gotten pricey. If you want I can send some used (but appear to be in good shape) pistons and rings your way....

Guys like OMR blow big money on these bikes and have forgotten, if they ever knew, what it was like to be building on a budget.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2009 14:12 by hardr0ck68.

More
10 Nov 2009 14:45 #332673 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
hardr0ck68 wrote:

If you trust file fit parts I have a set of +1mm rings with those you can simply put the rings to the bores and obtain the correct end gap with a file. It takes time to get it right, but eventually you will get the end gap correct. Many folks on this forum do not trust file fit rings, but it is a common practice (google it).

Installing oversized rings with the ends cut is a common practice..... but (IMHO) only on an engine you are going to sell. And FYI: oversized rings force fit to a smaller bore will not be round, they will be more egg shaped and not fit the cylinder properly. They may eventually cut the cylinder walls enough to seal. I would also advise using the closest oversize set, as the farther up the worse the fit. I see oversize sets in 0.25mm increments, I would not try to stuff 1mm overs into a standard size bore. Just my opinion.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Nov 2009 15:25 #332678 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Bountyhunter is right on the mark. Oversize rings have a larger OD radius than the stock bore's ID. Rings are not silly putty. Filing the end gap will not acheive a matching radius.

More
10 Nov 2009 18:30 - 10 Nov 2009 18:34 #332713 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
I remember way back in the 60s when my dad and I built up some cars, I believe they had something called "power pack" rings which were intended to be used in cylinders showing wear with just a hone (not bore) and they were sized up a little bit to compensate for cylinder wear.

Problem is, cylinder wear (even bad wear) is probably only going to be maybe .005". I bored my 750 when it had 75k miles and it was showing about .004" wear on the walls near as I could measure. If you go to a +1.0mm over, that's a full .040" larger diameter than stock and that is really going to be out of round forced into the bore. I initially considered using a +0.25 over (which is .010" over) in the stock honed cylinders because the wear on the walls would put the cylinder diameter halfway between stock and +0.25mm over. In the end, I just had it bored +0.25mm over and bought pistons and rings. Definitely the smart move.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Nov 2009 18:34 by bountyhunter.

More
10 Nov 2009 19:17 #332731 by will61310
Replied by will61310 on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Wouldnt the tight rings/loose piston create some kind of a "piston slap" and cause eventual damage to the liners? Just a thought..:unsure:

...1980 LTD 1000...

More
10 Nov 2009 19:23 #332735 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?

Guys like OMR blow big money on these bikes and have forgotten, if they ever knew, what it was like to be building on a budget.

Give me a break... Wasn't born with a silver spoon... Earned my college funding through serving in the ARMY, no mommy/daddy's money there for there wasn't any money to be spent... What was there's is still there's, not mine.

As for BIG bucks spent, you have no idea what I spent on my KZ especially since I accomplished 98% of it myself...

As for taking insult to the heading... Seriously as mentioned from myself as well as others.... This is a 30 year old motorcycle and parts are limited, thus Supply & Demand is the game...

Now before getting your feelings all hurt, this is for anyone interested in rebuilding old vehicles, cars or old KZ's for that matter... If you can't afford a $10 gasket, or the cost of some of these specialized parts then wait as I did, 30 freaking years before doing so when you can afford it...

We've all been there, concrete blocks or milk crates for stereo stands, rice & hot dogs or top ramon with some spam, sounds like crap now but hey, that was some really fine dinning way back when... Let's see, I have $20 for the week, gas or beer... Hey, how about a little of both... Yeah, I've been there dickweed.

So if you feel myself or others are making fun of your financial status then you have us figured out all wrong.
We provided you a good source of reasonable KZ parts @ Z1 for example, e-bay you name it...

You started this post with a question and the answers had been provided... Sorry you didn't like the answers you received but this is the fact of the matter...

Collectors items aren't always cheap.

Well, I feel better...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az