Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
18 Nov 2009 03:46 #334437 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Wow you are seriously saying parts on a chevy caviler are expensive?

Pick a part? I have probably replaced it on my POS cavy...
the $12 head gasket done that
A couple of $40 rebuilt calipers? Done those to
Oh yeah don't forget the $15 rotors

I noticed the boot on my CV axle was shot, when I priced a replacement boot ($40) and a replacement axle ($120) I said to heck with it I will wait till the axle makes noise the replace the whole bugger...

Yes my car needs repair from time to time, but it cost me $500 to buy and I have put 40,000 miles on it in 3 years. Let me know when your Nissan drives at 190,000 miles cause my Cavy still gets me everywhere I need to go and for less than a car payment.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Nov 2009 16:43 #334519 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
YUKABODOS wrote:

IMO - KZ650 do rock and just wait another couple of years and see what they are worth. I do not plan on selling mine anytime soon.

atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/1463057627.html

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
19 Nov 2009 07:37 - 09 Dec 2009 18:18 #334605 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
I'm in the process of getting my 78 kz1000 back on the road,it has been sitting since 92.
I had always assumed I would get a Hog like all my friends did, when I could afford one.
Well three kids, mortgages and now collage put a cabash to that.
So I've decided to clean up the old girl and get back to riding.
I figured it would probably be impossible to find parts for a thirty year old rice burner but I found "you guys" and Ebay to be very helpful.
I may be crazy but I think things like cables are cheaper than they were back in the 70s and it seems that clutches and carb parts haven't gone up much if any, and a lot of used parts are dirt cheap.
With new tires,clutch plates,rear brake and carb rebuild parts, some cables and some odds and ends, I will be on the road for around 800 bucks, maybe.
So do inexpensive rebuild parts exist, I say YES.

Note; Since I started working on my bike I have found a passion I haven't felt in a long time, It's all coming back to me, and this place has been a huge help, Thank you to every one who's willing to answer questions in a positive way.
Peace, JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 09 Dec 2009 18:18 by bluej58.

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Nov 2009 08:18 #334610 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
will61310 wrote:

Just be glad there is an aftermarket for most of these bikes. Imagine if you had to go to the kaw shop for cams,gaskets,pistons etc... If youre so Anti japan, then why arent you driving some detroit auto and riding a harley??

I guess this is addressed to me . . . Just to clarify, I am not anti-japan.

I paid 150.00 for the Mitsubishi. It was sitting in a back yard with 2 flat tires and had been sitting for close to three years as far as I could figure.

I dragged it home with a strap and converted the driveline from an automatic to a 5-speed, using junkyard parts.

As much as I hate seeing vehicles going into scrap yards, I rolled the dice in buying it.

As many of these particular vehicles are now in scrap yards, it has turned into an economical restoration project. The scrap yard missed this one.

I suppose if I could have bought a 1978 Harley with 12,000 miles on the odometer from the original owner like I did with my KZ, for $500.00, in 2001, I would have.

It was as pretty as the one in the picture from my previous post. . . 44k later, it needs some restoration before I give it back to the original owner as a gift for letting me use it for a while. I'm trying to wait until his first child who wants to ride a motorcycle turns 16.

In this case, the original owner was a guy I graduated from high school with.

There is a long history between he and I, and maybe I will be able to tell that story at another time.

More
19 Nov 2009 08:30 #334612 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
come on now guys lets all just get along here.do it for the kids,uh i mean bikes! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments: