Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?

More
10 Nov 2009 19:34 #332737 by will61310
Replied by will61310 on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Sometimes its cheaper to buy one thats already done,than a fixer upper.

...1980 LTD 1000...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2009 19:44 #332739 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
will61310 wrote:

Wouldnt the tight rings/loose piston create some kind of a "piston slap" and cause eventual damage to the liners? Just a thought..:unsure:

piston slap is caused by too much wear ie, too much clearance between the piston skirt and the cylinder wall. the rings control the sealing not the tolerance of the walls and piston.

More
10 Nov 2009 21:17 - 10 Nov 2009 21:21 #332750 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
will61310 wrote:

Wouldnt the tight rings/loose piston create some kind of a "piston slap" and cause eventual damage to the liners? Just a thought..:unsure:

Yes, if the wear on the walls is bad enough. In the old days, a "hone and ring" was only to put another 30k miles on a car that was blowing oil out the tailpipe. It's not a proper repair.

Interesting that the pistons are widest at the bottom (skirt) where the piston/cylinder wall clearance is minimum. In the ring area of the piston, there's about .005" clearance from the piston to the walls. I believe it's because that's the hot end so there has to be more room to expand (?)

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Nov 2009 21:21 by bountyhunter.

More
10 Nov 2009 21:47 #332761 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
KaZooCruiser wrote:

It's getting time to re-ring my '78 650, and the head gasket at the dealer is 94 dollars, and the rings are over 250.00.

I saw a wiseco kit on ebay and that was 498 for 4 pistons and rings.

I thought motorcycling was supposed to be economical. . .

old motorcycles are fun old motorcycles are not profitable old motorcycles will break your a$$

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
10 Nov 2009 22:32 #332763 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
There ain't no harm in running file fit rings, yes they ain't silly putty; but it's ONE FRIGGING mm...

OMR; you sure take pokes at you worse than Steel did when he was on the receiving end of your BS. Those who can't take it and all....

For the most part these bikes are not collectors items(the z1's and some other odd exceptions excluded), they are junk... the real issue is no one makes parts for junk. When parts are made it is in limited numbers, low volume means higher costs (economies of scale). So either cob it together, or get creative (sometimes both).... or if you are old as dirt then go ahead and cash out your 401K and fight for the left over 20+ year old NOS parts.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
11 Nov 2009 06:51 #332812 by morningwood
Replied by morningwood on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
"ONE FRIGGING mm" is .03937" try running your wheels with axles that are one mm smaller than the wheel bearing's ID......will that work for ya??? Hog and Bounty are right about using the correct size rings.

More
11 Nov 2009 16:02 - 11 Nov 2009 17:22 #332911 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
hardr0ck68 wrote:

There ain't no harm in running file fit rings, yes they ain't silly putty; but it's ONE FRIGGING mm...

i think maybe you should tell who ever is going to bore your cylinders for that monster 1015 650 motor you want to build that he don't have to be exact. 71,72 hell, it's only one fricking mm!

and as for inexpensive parts?
speed and dependablity costs money.
save yourself the headache and get new rings.
it would really suck to have to pull the motor back apart and buy new gaskets all over again because you rolled the dice and lost.

the offer has been made to you all ready but i will repeat it.

i will GIVE you a full used set and a used head gasket for shipping only.
just don't come back with your tail between your legs because you will hear" told you so" from us.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2009 17:22 by kawsakiman.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
11 Nov 2009 16:53 #332925 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
How to fix my light bulb.......step on it....HA :laugh: HA :laugh: HA :laugh: HA

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
11 Nov 2009 17:42 - 11 Nov 2009 17:44 #332938 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Do inexpensive rebuild parts even exist?
Here you go... new KZ650 rings, 1mm over sized...

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-KZ650-p...fPartsQ5fAccessories

Start your bidding....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Nov 2009 17:44 by Old Man Rock.

More
12 Nov 2009 10:28 #333122 by bountyhunter
hardr0ck68 wrote:

For the most part these bikes are not collectors items(the z1's and some other odd exceptions excluded), they are junk...

Maybe your old bike is junk, but you don't speak for mine. It's an old friend I have had for 30 years and I still like riding it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Nov 2009 10:34 #333123 by bountyhunter
hardr0ck68 wrote:

You do realize that's .040", a little larger than a spark plug gap. You don't seem to get that when you force it into an undersized hole, the ring does NOT compress evenly around the circumference for the simple reason that it is cut. If you picture the ring with the cut straight down at 6 O,clock, as you force it in the ring tends to "flex" most at the top and the bottoms closest to the cut are against the cylinder walls. However halfway down (3 oclock and 9 oclock) will; not be touching the walls because the curve built into the ring is slightly flatter than the curve of the cylinder walls. You would have a pretty big air gap at those locations if you cram .040" over rings into a standard hole and it doesn't take that much of a gap to really hose compression. Like I said: I might try +0.25mm over rings in a standard (badly worn) bore and pray they seat, but I wouldn't be telling everybody it's a great way to fix an engine that's blowing oil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Nov 2009 10:37 #333124 by bountyhunter
kawsakiman wrote:

hardr0ck68 wrote:

i think maybe you should tell who ever is going to bore your cylinders for that monster 1015 650 motor you want to build that he don't have to be exact. 71,72 hell, it's only one fricking mm!

:laugh:

The pro that bored mine actually required I give hime the pistons to be installed which he marked Left and Right (not just the factory manual specs for hole size), then he cut the cylinders to EXACTLY fit the pistons with the nominal piston/cylinder clearance.

1979 KZ-750 Twin