KZ900: Value of this bike

More
25 Jan 2016 10:41 #708053 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
Any law enforcement agency (city, county or state) should be able to run a VIN check on any vehicle to find it's last known registered owner/state for proof of ownership if any questions arise. It should show up in their databases. Worst case scenario is it shows up on an old or out of date hot list. That happened to an acquaintance a few years ago who had the same problem getting a bike registered with only a bill of sale to go by. Best of luck......................................Mike

Vroom-vroom

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2016 10:46 #708054 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
i know the PO doesn't want to get involved in a lot of work, but if the title was in his name, you only need to get him to sign the lost title paperwork and return it for you, at least that's how it works in UT.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

More
25 Jan 2016 12:19 #708070 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
A bike in that shape is not a candidate for a parts job. Do the VT route, or ask about the lost title process in your state, i have no idea how many times I have heard it was impossible to get a title on a bike, yet they have processes for it in nearly every state.

And think about it, if you lived in VT and moved to MA they wouldn't be able to deny the registration process from that state, otherwise you have to basically force the scrapping of nearly every vehicle that comes from that area

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
25 Jan 2016 12:40 #708073 by VMASS
Replied by VMASS on topic KZ900: Value of this bike

floivanus wrote: And think about it, if you lived in VT and moved to MA they wouldn't be able to deny the registration process from that state, otherwise you have to basically force the scrapping of nearly every vehicle that comes from that area

There would be nothing to think about, as I would have my valid Vermont registration to present to the MA DMV.

Maybe I didn't explain it correctly. This bike has been in MA for many years, untitled. Are you ready for this, the person I bought the bike from (MA resident) got the bike from a neighbor ( MA resident) who got it from his uncle (NH resident) many years ago. The bike was apparently never titled in MA or registered. Neither of the previous owners want to spend time on this and I agreed to those terms.

So, in all actuality, I am not the legal owner, as far as the paper trail goes. Nor are the other two previous owners, since the proper paperwork was not taken care of when it came into MA.

More
25 Jan 2016 13:20 #708077 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
So how much do you want for it .............. yeah cash no bull shit and meet half way

More
25 Jan 2016 13:23 #708078 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
A LEO can run the vin and tell you if it's stolen but can not give you the reg. owner's contact info
I went through this with my connie part's bike had a friend that is a cop here run the number's
ha said it isn't hot but can't give me contact info.
Walked to the part's room came back he was gone but there was a piece of paper on my tool box
with a name and number nothing else.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Jan 2016 13:27 #708079 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
That's right. He could get into serious trouble. I've had a few Deps help me like that. Lost notes.
Steve

More
25 Jan 2016 13:40 #708082 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
Once again, register in VT, or figure out what to do with it in your state to get a title.
Tou are the owner; the phrase title refers to having ownership of a vehicle, you are lacking the 'certificate of title' VT and NH have much more lax laws on titling and registering vehicles, you simply send your info to VT and they send you registration back; you ride around a while and BAMMO go to your RMV and 99.9% of the time they honour that because in VT THAT IS THE LEGAL WAY to 'title' a bike.

Once again, they have to honor that setup because they would piss off a bunch of expatriats of VT if they didn't, and VT doesn't require you to be a resident. Doesn't matter who the last certified legal owner is, here in Indiana, I buy a no title bike, send the person I bought it from (don't care if they titled it) a certified letter asking 'for my title, you promised me, boo-hoo' and have them reject it, which gets sent back to me, it goes in an envelope with a police inspection and a copy of the note in the sealed envelope and some other BS forms, I get charged $40 and get a title back in a few weeks or a couple months.

The kicker? I was told by the BMV, forum members and friends if mine it was Impossible and not worth the effort to title a non title bike in Indiana. I did my own research, and talked to the pretty little lady behind the counter and found the work around

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
25 Jan 2016 14:15 #708088 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
I have plenty of bikes and can just buy it to sit and look at it :evil:

More
25 Jan 2016 14:16 #708089 by peter1958

More
25 Jan 2016 14:17 #708090 by peter1958

More