KZ900: Value of this bike

More
06 Feb 2016 13:53 - 06 Feb 2016 13:55 #709735 by dom2570
Replied by dom2570 on topic Re:KZ900: Value of this bike
The dude is a dirt bag. He has multiple posts on craigslist about him warning people to stay far far away. I know sarcasm doesn't come across well online; I originally posted it as a joke.

On a side note if anyone is interested he has got a kz400 with no title no carbs and possibly locked engine for $1200...lol

Whip it like a mule!
Last edit: 06 Feb 2016 13:55 by dom2570.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Feb 2016 14:23 - 06 Feb 2016 14:28 #709737 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:KZ900: Value of this bike
I put Jarden slip on's on my Z1 in 78. The stock ones rusted out. Beach area. Good pipes. Removable baffles. One flew out in on the FWY. Used bolts with lock nuts after that. Got cross overs in 84. Lasted until the wreck in 86. Got my V/H 4/1 in 87. Not much difference in power. Should have kept the cross overs. I like the duel exhaust better.
Steve
Last edit: 06 Feb 2016 14:28 by SWest.

More
06 Feb 2016 15:15 - 06 Feb 2016 15:18 #709745 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
I'm always intrigued by the "cash talks" statement, realistically how else are you going to pay? I doubt he accepts the rubber check method.

I quite often get people thinking they are going to get a big discount because they have "cash" on vehicles we sell, but I'm always confused as to what other option they thought we would take, either way it needs to be cleared funds, although I also do financing, 100% down, with no interest or payments ever.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care
Last edit: 06 Feb 2016 15:18 by redhawk4.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Feb 2016 15:21 #709749 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
"Show me the color of your money" means he will take less if he sees it.
Steve

More
06 Feb 2016 15:38 #709755 by Bowman
Replied by Bowman on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
Way way back in the day my dad always bought his cars with cash. Actual wads of $100 bills in his pocket. Back then maybe the dealership might save some money not having to do a bunch of administrative paperwork and so on and just count the money so it might have had some leverage. Nowadays at a dealership pulling out a wad might actually be MORE administrative problems, nobody in the building has any idea what to do with a stack of 100's.

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Feb 2016 16:09 #709759 by SWest
It's all about financing now. Everyone has their hands in the deal. Everything I have is bought and paid for. No payments, no one making money off me. I like it like that.
Steve

More
06 Feb 2016 18:28 #709770 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
Sometimes pulling out 10k in cash will get the cops called in and you having to explain where tou got it from.

I know a few who went to buy cars 'in cash' from the dealer, and had that happen. I have gotten money knocked off for not having to finance myself.

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
07 Feb 2016 07:07 #709814 by redhawk4

swest wrote: It's all about financing now. Everyone has their hands in the deal. Everything I have is bought and paid for. No payments, no one making money off me. I like it like that.
Steve

I'm the same no payments everything owned out right. Sometimes people make a comment about all the stuff I have. vehicles, bikes boats etc. but often I think you paid more for your 2 fairly ordinary cars than I paid for everything I have.
Buying it for cash and buying it right gives you the finances to buy all sorts of things you want, rather than being locked into payments that eat up your money every month. I only buy when I feel I'm getting a bargain, that way I'm less scared of depreciation and have an "exit strategy" if I fall on hard times that I can sell stuff and get my money back, which is why I never buy new. I could buy another KZ every couple of months for what some pay each month in car payments.

A lot of used dealerships now make most of their money on financing in our area, as they do their own in house financing.

1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1980 Suzuki SP400

More
07 Feb 2016 09:00 #709824 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic KZ900: Value of this bike

redhawk4 wrote:

swest wrote: It's all about financing now. Everyone has their hands in the deal. Everything I have is bought and paid for. No payments, no one making money off me. I like it like that.
Steve

I'm the same no payments everything owned out right. Sometimes people make a comment about all the stuff I have. vehicles, bikes boats etc. but often I think you paid more for your 2 fairly ordinary cars than I paid for everything I have.
Buying it for cash and buying it right gives you the finances to buy all sorts of things you want, rather than being locked into payments that eat up your money every month. I only buy when I feel I'm getting a bargain, that way I'm less scared of depreciation and have an "exit strategy" if I fall on hard times that I can sell stuff and get my money back, which is why I never buy new. I could buy another KZ every couple of months for what some pay each month in car payments.

A lot of used dealerships now make most of their money on financing in our area, as they do their own in house financing.

AMEN to the good ol' fashioned "Cash-on-the barrel-head" mentality. Only buy when you can afford it and far less likely to overspend and be in debt. True tho' about buying big money items in 'cash' being likely to attract unwarranted attention from nosey agencies such as 'the Feds' wondering why someone has that much 'cash' on them and wanting to know where it came from. Nowadays they tend to suspect people that have several thousands in cash on them for whatever purchase it may be, as some sort of money laundering lmao, such as from drug deals, robberies etc. Sad skeptical world we're in nowadays in many respects. Your own bank even has cash withdrawl limits. You may have 100K or far more in your account but can only draw a max amount of actual cash per visit. For example:...You can save $1000 or more by paying cash for a new vehicle (the ole cash discount scenario) and you walk in to your local Kawasaki dealer tomorrow with $15,000 in $100 bills ready to ride off in a brand new 2016 ZX14R, will work... (I know of no business that can legally refuse any cash payment in any form or amount)...just be prepared for extra behind the scenes attention from the eye in the sky. As well as the old fashioned 'cookie jar' method of saving large cash amounts for private person-person transactions between buyer and private seller. ....................................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

More
07 Feb 2016 13:29 - 07 Feb 2016 13:31 #709863 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic KZ900: Value of this bike
Of course guys, a work-around... Finance the item in question and pay it off with a couple big payments, in a couple months, to your lender. Very little interest paid and keep you more "under" the radar than breaking out 5 figures in CASH, in front of who know who.

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)
Last edit: 07 Feb 2016 13:31 by !Seymore.

More
07 Feb 2016 13:39 - 07 Feb 2016 17:43 #709866 by redhawk4

Rockranch wrote:

redhawk4 wrote:

Steve

AMEN to the good ol' fashioned "Cash-on-the barrel-head" mentality. Only buy when you can afford it and far less likely to overspend and be in debt. True tho' about buying big money items in 'cash' being likely to attract unwarranted attention from nosey agencies such as 'the Feds' wondering why someone has that much 'cash' on them and wanting to know where it came from. Nowadays they tend to suspect people that have several thousands in cash on them for whatever purchase it may be, as some sort of money laundering lmao, such as from drug deals, robberies etc. Sad skeptical world we're in nowadays in many respects. Your own bank even has cash withdrawl limits. You may have 100K or far more in your account but can only draw a max amount of actual cash per visit. For example:...You can save $1000 or more by paying cash for a new vehicle (the ole cash discount scenario) and you walk in to your local Kawasaki dealer tomorrow with $15,000 in $100 bills ready to ride off in a brand new 2016 ZX14R, will work... (I know of no business that can legally refuse any cash payment in any form or amount)...just be prepared for extra behind the scenes attention from the eye in the sky. As well as the old fashioned 'cookie jar' method of saving large cash amounts for private person-person transactions between buyer and private seller. ....................................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

It's actually quite hard to get much cash from a bank these days, last time I needed some to buy a boat I had to go to both my banks and still couldn't get close to the total, without going to multiple branches. They just don't have much cash on hand these days.

The other side to cash that makes me nervous is when people pay for a truck we're selling and hand you $12k or so in cash from a Walmart sack or similar. Some of them are not the cleanest cut looking characters and it often occurs to me that when they leave, someone might conveniently come in through the door to hold me up. I conclude the paperwork, having counted the cash and follow them out the door with it in my jacket pocket and as I wish them luck with their purchase, get in my vehicle and drive to the bank.

On the other end of the equation I'm also careful when going to buy stuff, that there's not a risk in the fact someone knows you are a buyer with cash in your pocket. I've read a few reports of people hitting problems here, where they find the purchase they thought they were making turns out to be a stick up. That's when I'm grateful for my CWP and if I'm going to an area that's not so good, I'll have one handgun on me and one in my vehicle where the money is stowed, you can't be too careful IMO, there are some dangerous characters out there, and where drugs are involved, people who would slit your throat for $20 let alone $5k.

1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1980 Suzuki SP400

Last edit: 07 Feb 2016 17:43 by redhawk4.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Feb 2016 15:39 #709876 by SWest
I sold a Honda car on Cl, I got a call from what sounded like a gang banger. I had it on the road next to my property. I went out to my car whit my 44 in my hand, got into the car and drove out there. 5 of them. They were jumpy and said they had another car to look at and left. I know they were watching me through the oleander border on my property. :angry: The next person was a woman with her son. I told her about the car and what it needed, so she gave me $1000 and drove away. The next day she wanted her money back. NO I get another call from her boyfriend telling me he will take me to the bank and GET HIS MONEY BACK. I called the SO. The Dep called him and told him what would happen to him if he showed. There's more stories. I don't like selling and eBay isn't much help ether.
Steve