what kinda helmet lid do you wear? any good recomm

More
22 Jan 2016 17:00 #707687 by Jussumguy
I was talking to a sales kid at cycle gear the other day. She had just received some training on helmet fitment. She said some people have oval skulls and some have more of a round one. Very important to know which you have and match to the style of lid. Find a trained salesman and get a good comfortable helmet you like.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Jan 2016 17:59 #707690 by SWest
They have to be snug on your head. No movement. Mine is three years old and still fits.
Steve

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
22 Jan 2016 21:26 - 22 Jan 2016 21:27 #707699 by DoctoRot
I have a RF1200. I just rode home 60 miles in an absolute downpour, with the pinlock visor i had ZERO fogging issues. Any DOT helmet is gonna protect you fine, but when you pay more you get better venting, pinlocks, adjustable cheekpads...etc. A big part of what i look for in a helmet is weight. I have been known to do some 1000+ miles days and the weight of a helmet gets to ya after a while. I also have some HJC helmets and a Simpson Bandit for sunny days, but the RF1200 gets used nearly every day because its so damn comfortable.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2016 21:27 by DoctoRot.

More
23 Jan 2016 03:32 #707704 by undiablo
I am also using Shoei NeoTec,,,, nice helmet. But under heavy rains it leaks water inside the visor.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
23 Jan 2016 05:56 #707724 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic what kinda helmet lid do you wear? any good recomm
Started with a Bell Star too. Good Helmet

Then I had a Simpson Bandit That is my favorite.

I have had good luck and really liked my HJC full face, and like my Scorpion 3/4 lid with flip up internal shield.

Was going to buy a nice helmet for snowmobiling but the ones I liked wouldnt fit my big melon at all. They were long and narrow, So my melon must be round :lol:

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
11 Mar 2016 17:25 #714998 by Bowman
Was at the local Kaw shop today getting some parts and noticed some carbon fibre helmets for like 275CAD. Goddamn things were as light as a feather. Being 2016 is it possible they can be both that light and keep my melon from getting mushed?

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

More
11 Mar 2016 18:09 - 11 Mar 2016 18:11 #715009 by GPzMOD750
When I bought my bike at the end of last June I didn't have a helmet so a swung by the local independent shop and bought the least expensive one I could find that didn't seem cheap so I could ride home. It was an HJC 3/4 with shield for $80. its a nice helmet but it seems just a tad large. I got an email from Cycle Gear on Monday about a flash sale on Bilt modulars for $70. I jumped on it and bought it a size smaller than my HJC. I got it last night and I wore it to and from work today.Very nice.

Helmets aren't mandatory but I never ride without one. I can't stand wind noise and my eyes are very wind sensitive.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 18:11 by GPzMOD750.

More
11 Mar 2016 20:16 #715038 by KZP15
AGV K3

More
12 Mar 2016 08:56 #715090 by loudhvx
I have only had one high speed getoff so far. That was over twenty years ago. Back then I only wore the helmet on the highway. The crash had me sliding and tumbling for a long time. The helmet took a lot of abuse, but the face shield and chin bar were really ground down. I still wince to think that would have been my face ground down.

More
12 Mar 2016 09:02 #715093 by Irish-Kawi
Just my two cents, but if you are wearing a lid and doing so for safety reasons/concerns then I would say anything that is the newest Snell rating will be perfectly fine and about as safe as you can get. At that point its just a matter of paying what you want to spend to get the brand you like best. If you are trying to be as safe as humanly possible though and screw the cost I would say either an Arai with newest Snell 2015 certs or Shoei RF1200 that has the same would be top of my list. Shoei does nothing BUT helmets, that is all they do as a company which in my mind speaks volumes. IF I had the money and wasn't pinching pennies I would get one of the new RF1200's in a heartbeat, really like the Seduction graphic as well as the Diabolic one myself, but thats personal taste.

As for me I have an HJC CL-SP, it is DOT and SNEll certified, but since its an older model it is not the "newest" Snell certification, but for a never worn helmet just stored in a closet for a few years and at $35 I couldn't be happier.

Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
12 Mar 2016 09:37 #715099 by KZQ
After reading this thread I went out to find the difference between a DOT and Snell Memorial Foundation helmets. I found a good source here:

www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot

I had previously thought that Snell certified helmets were not permitted to have features like movable sunscreens, though the Snell Memorial site makes no mention of the topic. They do discuss modular helmets which they say they have not tested any as yet.

My helmet is a Shoei Neotec.

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
12 Mar 2016 10:12 #715101 by Irish-Kawi

KZQ wrote: After reading this thread I went out to find the difference between a DOT and Snell Memorial Foundation helmets. I found a good source here:

www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot

I had previously thought that Snell certified helmets were not permitted to have features like movable sunscreens, though the Snell Memorial site makes no mention of the topic. They do discuss modular helmets which they say they have not tested any as yet.

My helmet is a Shoei Neotec.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Absolutely right! Based on the limited knowledge I know, the SNELL testing is far more rigorous as it tests many more different types of impacts, angles of impact and other things that DOT doesn't. Also companies have to PAY to have their product tested by SNELL which means they are quite certain that it would hold up to such testing since no company wants to just throw money down the pisser.

For me it is the type of testing and the rigorous nature in which they evaluate it that make SNELL certified helmets so superior. Lastly, in terms of purely safety and thinking of being as safe as current technology allows, a full face helmet will always be safe than any other type, even modulars. And that is simply due to the nature of modulars and the inherent wakens introduced into the shell by already having a stress point and weak link built into the chin guard area where it is not one seamless shell but rather already cut and held by pins/locks etc. Not hating on modulars at all, in fact I really really dig them, just talking about safety aspect and nothing more they are still very safe helmets in most cases all things considered.

Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider