what kinda helmet lid do you wear? any good recomm

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
10 Dec 2016 05:12 #749882 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic what kinda helmet lid do you wear? any good recomm
From dirt bikes to my first streetbike back in 2003, I bought an HJC Helmet. Of course is had to somewhat match the color scheme of the my GPz550. It was in the mid price range, and I really didn't know much about helmets. Once I started racing, I upgraded to a better and lighter Shoei RF1000. It still matched the street and race bike, but what a difference in fit, and it was lighter than the HJC. Wore it both racing and daily riding, till an accident on the street scuffed it and warranted buying a new one. Since then, it's been a helmet made by Kali Protectives. located in Morgan Hill, CA. Safety has been my main concern, and the helmet is designed with absorbing fingers between the inner helmet shell, and the inner liner.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
10 Dec 2016 07:17 #749888 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic what kinda helmet lid do you wear? any good recomm

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/kzride5/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 314. Please enable debug mode for more information.

More
10 Dec 2016 07:22 - 10 Dec 2016 07:22 #749889 by Shabba
When I was a wee tyke in the early 80's, I had a Nolan for my dirt bike. My first street bike helmet was also a Nolan and I graduated to an Arai in the late 90's. My one and only wreck, in 2001, resulted in me headbutting the pavement and then a guardrail. It destroyed my Arai but I walked away with a broken clavicle, a small spot of road rash on my left knee and nary a head ache because that helmet did it's job as well as my Dainese jacket did. My primary helmet has been an Arai since that day. I have owned HJC and AGV helmets as well over the years, all great helmets, but none have been the quality, fit or soundproofing of the Arai. I hear a Shoei is a good alternative to an Arai but I cannot speak to it.

Any name brand helmet is going to do a pretty good job of protecting you. I prefer to have one that, while expensive, looks the part, does the part and keeps me happy while wearing it.

-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke
Last edit: 10 Dec 2016 07:22 by Shabba.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
10 Dec 2016 07:27 #749890 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic what kinda helmet lid do you wear? any good recomm
Since I have a large melon for a head I always buy helmets I can try on first.
I remember trying on a Polaris snowmobile helmet I wanted to buy that was loaded with cool features and matched by sled.

It was a XXL and I went to pull it on and the shape was long and narrow and it wouldnt even reach my ears before it jammed on top of my fat head like a beanie LOL
Try before you buy
Fat Head Dave :S

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
10 Dec 2016 14:03 #749901 by 750 R1

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Since I have a large melon for a head I always buy helmets I can try on first.
Try before you buy
Fat Head Dave :S

I have the opposite problem, small head {only up top :cheer: } Always try before you buy, I used to buy Aria helmets religiously because of the fit, now helmet manufacturers make more than one shape, buying without trying is a no no for me. Tried on a new Bell star a couple of weeks ago, that will be my new helmet. I would never recommend half face helmets, if you'd ever seen the end result of an unconscious rider sliding down the road on his chin, you wouldn't wear one either.... :(

More
12 Dec 2016 14:27 - 12 Dec 2016 14:29 #750047 by BOOM_FIST
HJC IS-17 - Flat Black - Nice lid for under $200. I like it because it has the drop down visor (built in sunglasses).

www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-is-17-helmet

My next lid, once I get tired of this HJC, is the Speed and Strength SS1600.

www.ssgear.com/usa_english/solid-speed-ss1600-helmet.html

1977 KZ900A5
Last edit: 12 Dec 2016 14:29 by BOOM_FIST.

More
09 Mar 2017 00:35 #756216 by apollojm
I have HJC for two years now then I bought an Arai helmet last month at 4wheelonline . I'm very pleased with Arai because it fits the shape of my head.