Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 16 Oct 2016 08:19 #745327

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
OK, I'm finally going to get this thread going.

This is a continuation of my bike in these threads.

82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now
1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique.

Well as you can see at the end of the last thread I had it just about where I wanted and then had a mishap. It wasn't too catastrophic but smashed up the crankcase enough to warrant the rebuilding of the engine. Therefore, I'm going to pretty much tear it down to the frame and put it together as I think it should within my own taste, budget, and skills.

Damaged-
  • The instrument cluster was really bashed up.This pissed me off more than anything. It was from the UK and went up to 150 mph.
  • The Bikemaster drag bars were bent.
  • My bar end mirrors obviously would be smashed as well. The right side anyway.
  • The tank got a new dent from my switches.
  • The timing cover was smashed and the upper screw boss was obliterated. The lower one was already gone. The Dyna S ignition was FUBAR'd as well. The rotor screw was sheared off.
  • Miscellanius scrapes, etc.. The rear brake lever was bent.

I'm actually surprised that it wasn't damaged more than it was. I wasn't going fast but It hit the pavement hard.

I have already pretty much found and bought everything I need to get it rebuilt and just need to get down to the nitty-gritty. I'm sure I'll find little things I didn't think of or didn't know needed replacing.

I'll start off with what I'm not going to do. This isn't a criticism of those that have done these things to their KZs in general or KZ750R1s specifically, I just don't think they are right for me or the bike.
  • It's not going to be a typical ELR....or cafe or tracker
  • I'm not going to do a fork or swing arm swap.
  • I'm not going to put on pod filters.
  • I'm not going to grind anything off besides what was already buggered when I got it. and hopefully make it reversible as possible if myself or someone else wants to do a full restore

Things that I am going to do besides just repair or replace damaged items along with maintenance like bearings, brakes and such. The "style" will most likely end up being more streetfighter than anything else. Some of the things I'm going to do will be a bit different on the practical side. I'm going to try and keep the price down as much as possible and I kind of like reusing parts from other bikes, preferably Kawasaki, in the process.

Engine-
  • I have a replacement crankcase with GPz numbers.
  • KZ550 6 spd tranny, I think I'll maybe take the neutral finder out. I'd like to set up the sprockets so 1st is slightly lower than standard. 6th (& 5th) will end up being a very nice OD ratios.
  • ZR7 oil pump and secondary shaft with starter clutch.
  • KZ650 valve cover. Hey, it fits! Doesn't have the stupid save the planet spigots on it. It just needs a coat of black paint.
  • MAYBE a ZX750A head or just a replacement KZ750R head, depends on what I find. I buggered up the one I have the first time I adjusted the valves. I can probably fix it but if I find a suitable replacement....
  • MAYBE a 810 over bore. it depends on what the 2 cylinder sets I have look like and measure out to when I get to it. If I'm going to have to rebore and replace pistons I might as well go all the way. I'm honestly hoping it doesn't need it since this will severely strain the budget.

Exhaust- I'm keeping the ZR7 headers. I have a titanium Muzzy muffler that needs to be rebuilt waiting in the wings, It's off a YZF R1 so it will take some fitting, I might have to start over with a full ZR7 exhaust set that wasn't chopped off so short.

Suspension- I already have the ZRX rear shocks, they're staying. I'll service the swingarm pivot bearings/bushings etc. while I'm at it. I'm going to be putting Race Tech cartridge emulators in the forks. I have an extra set of legs that I'll use as they feel like the bushings are tighter. I have set of All Balls steering head bearings too.

The body- I have a full replacement set of body work so the original stuff is being mothballed and I'm going to have fun with the other stuff that has already been painted or came off other models. The tank, fender, and tailpiece haven't shown up yet. I bought them sight unseen but the guy gave me they impression are in the best shape anyone might hope for. I'm just excited to have been able to find the tank, they are super hard to find in good shape.
  • I'm going to use the factory style front fender but trim it down a bit. I've seen it done and it looks good IMO.
  • I'm going to build a front cowling, Just a bikini sized thing. I was already toying with the idea but is a definite must to protect the instrument cluster. The cowling is basically to clean up the looks of the front end and is going to cover a protective cage to keep cluster damage from happening again if I go down. I've been playing with how and what to make it out of and I haven't quite decided yet. I'm thinking about using aluminum tread plate. I think 5-bar style would look good. I would make it black with ceracoat since I don't think a GPz should have any polished chrome or aluminum parts on it. I think it would look unique and stand out.
  • A swing arm mounted fender and chain guard. I've been running without either and it looks cool but it sure does leave a mess. Made out of the same material as the cowling to match.
  • I have some factory case guards that will be going on. The only reason they weren't on earlier is because they were in need of being blasted and refinished. Maybe cowling matching skins over them. Just a thought.
  • I might do something "special" with the tank and side covers Like a "toaster tank" style panels out of the same stuff I make the cowling out of.
  • Seats, yes seats, I have an extra seat pan. I plan to keep one as a standard 2 up type, The cover on the one on it just started cracking just before I put it down. Idk if I'm going to get a factory style cover or just take it to an upholsterer to do whatever seems nice. The other I plan to build as a combo solo seat/tail rack. I still plan to ride this bike as often as possible which includes to work and it's always nice to carry your lunch and gear on a ready-made place for it. I'll swap seats over as needed. The rack would match the cowling as well.

I am torn about the tread plate idea. I'm worried it would look too industrial or something. I know the typical diamond plate pattern definitely would.

I'll see if I can get some pics of the damage up later today.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 16 Oct 2016 16:05 #745369

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Pics of the stuff i need to repair. The odd thing is the blinkers only received small scuff marks. The mounting points bent slightly but they won't be any trouble to correct. I'll probably slightly reposition the rear ones anyway. they put a little pressure on the tailpiece and i don't want them to cause cracks or issues in the long run.

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 16 Oct 2016 16:13 #745372

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
OUCH :(
Steve

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 16 Oct 2016 18:30 #745389

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Bad news but good to see you are onto it. Many a great build was the result of a previously smashed up bike. Almost like you got to trash one to get a nice one :laugh:

Those clocks look restorable, those later lcd pod types are quite easy to dismatle.,
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 17 Oct 2016 04:06 #745408

• GPzMOD750
  • User

Tyrell Corp wrote: Bad news but good to see you are onto it. Many a great build was the result of a previously smashed up bike. Almost like you got to trash one to get a nice one :laugh:

Those clocks look restorable, those later lcd pod types are quite easy to dismatle.,

Yeah, the current BOTM is a good example, I'm just glad It's not starting out that bad. :)

I'm sure I'll get the gauges sorted out. I have the original cluster and one I got off eBay immediately after this happened. It's just that the casing on this one was the best of the 3. I guess the cowling I'm going to put over it will make that less important.

I'm eager to get to it but I have 2 vehicles ahead of this one before I can start. So it's going to be a few more weeks.

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 17 Oct 2016 05:30 #745411

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
The 650 valve cover doesn't have the cam chain rub block. There are little posts cast into the cover to hold the rub block in place that are missing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 17 Oct 2016 06:30 #745416

• GPzMOD750
  • User

Nessism wrote: The 650 valve cover doesn't have the cam chain rub block. There are little posts cast into the cover to hold the rub block in place that are missing.

Well crap! At least I didn't pay anything for it.

Well, I do have a drill...and some bolts... Plenty of time... dumb enough to try different stuff....

Don't tell a machinist/gunsmith something won't fit or work. He'll work himself to death to prove you.....or himself wrong. ;)

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 07 May 2017 08:57 #761397

• GPzMOD750
  • User
I've absolutely no progress on this guy. I've been distracted by other things and vehicles that have needed attention. I have, however, done a ton of shopping on ebay, etc.

-I bought a new ZR7 header. will be much easier to put my titanium Muzzy muffler on and I'm going to do a quick release conversion. I bought the 304 stainless bar to fashion the sleeves out of. If anyone needs the one I was using let me know it's still in good condition.

Attachment not found

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 07 May 2017 08:58 #761398

• GPzMOD750
  • User
- I just bought a ZR7 instrument cluster to use instead of the original one. I really like the look and functionality of the original but when I smashed up this one it made me absolutely sick. Th ZR7 doesn't have a voltmeter but I put a Koso Mini 3 meter on the KZ1100 that works really well and it has a clock and thermometer on it to boot so I'll just put one of those on too. I had accumulated all kinds of spares to rebuild the one I had on it so if anyone needs parts let me know.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

- I bought a ZR7 head, cams and valve cover. I don't know if I'll use the cams, I'm sure they aren't as hot as the originals but I'll have them on hand anyway. I'll port and polish the head before I put it on.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 07 May 2017 08:59 #761399

• GPzMOD750
  • User
- I figured out the early Honda CBR1000F Hurricanes had a stock tire size similar to this bike and I located a hugger fender/chain guard from one, It'll have to be modified to fit but I'll more than likely want to modify it anyway.

Attachment not found

- I bought 3 sheets of 24x24 5 bar tread plate. The sheets weren't too much but the shipping was stupid expensive for some strange reason. I couldn't find it anywhere locally and I wanted something other than the common diamond plate. I'm going to build mounting panels for the electrical gear, etc. as well as the cowling and cargo rack.

Attachment not found

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wiers

1982 GPz750 Phase III, onward and upward. 02 Jul 2017 08:06 #765897

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Life has been kicking my A$$. I've had no time, money, or motivation to get to work on it. I haven't even been riding the 1100. I had to get a second job that makes my days super long and I'm not interested in riding even if I have the rare minute to ride.

I haven't so much as touched this poor bike. I'm seriously considering selling it.I have literally thousands of dollars worth of parts piled in the garage for this bike and it's very depressing every time I look at it.

I'd like to think I'd take the cash and put it towards a newer bike that didn't need so much work like a ZR or ZRX. But it would only probably go to pay off debts and make repairs to one of my cars.

I would sell it as is with the parts needed to get it running and sell off the rest of the parts or everything as a whole. Whatever anyone would be interested in. The only thing I don't want to do is part it out.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.
  • Page: