Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 17 May 2024 10:25 #899187

• Injected
  • Injected's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 485
The bead breaker worked fine, got the old rear tire removed but it was on there pretty good. I needed to use dish soap solution and a combination of the breaker bar and tire spoons. I have not put the new tire on yet.

The rims/wheels on the project are 81 GPZ550 (forks,swing arm,rims,brakes) I believe the PO had it set up for road racing because most of the bolt heads were drilled for safety wire.

The 550/650 rims are smooth on the inside.

Are you referring to those rubber tube locks on the rear tire? Both have them but I don't run them, I closed up the rim holes with plastic plugs.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: info

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 17 May 2024 13:49 #899200

• Injected
  • User
Shitty rainy day here so I decided to get some stuff done. Mounted the front wheel, a bit higher that I thought so blocked it up.

Also mounted the headlamp after hooking up a battery and seeing that everything was plugged in correctly (using Z1 indicators) Wiring does not match 650 harness in there.

Hella H4 Euro style lamp.

Checked the horn and the relay just clicks, wired something in the wrong direction I think. I will have to get it sorted out.

I decided to put a screw adjuster on the brake pedal stop, did not make any sense not having one.

Need to fix that horn before I move on to anything else.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Wookie58

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: sp

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 17 May 2024 15:25 #899207

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2689

The bead breaker worked fine, got the old rear tire removed but it was on there pretty good. I needed to use dish soap solution and a combination of the breaker bar and tire spoons. I have not put the new tire on yet.

The rims/wheels on the project are 81 GPZ550 (forks,swing arm,rims,brakes) I believe the PO had it set up for road racing because most of the bolt heads were drilled for safety wire.

The 550/650 rims are smooth on the inside.

Are you referring to those rubber tube locks on the rear tire? Both have them but I don't run them, I closed up the rim holes with plastic plugs.. 

The rear rim I have came off a KZ750 G.  It's strange they used a ridged rim on the 750 twin for such a underpowered bike.   They are a bitch to get over. I was hoping the bead braker would handle them. 
We'll see soon. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Injected

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 17 May 2024 17:37 #899215

• Injected
  • User
It ended up I had the horn wired thru the relay wrong, was using switched power and engine ground instead of directly off the battery terminals. I only had to make up one new wire to attach to the battery negative lead to the horn.

I am using aftermarket battery cables and fuse box from Creative Wiring Solutions. The cables have extra wires to plug into and the fuse box has a extra place to run a accessory item. I put a 7.5A fuse in there to run the horn to battery positive. 

Now it works and its pretty loud!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vinsky, Wookie58

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: sp

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 19 May 2024 15:08 #899332

• Injected
  • User
Got the bike down off the milk crate today and onto the center stand.

Installed the front brakes but had to take the headlamp off to sneak the upper brake line behind the headlamp shell on the left side (easier than bleeding the brakes)

Just need to get the hose brackets in behind the fork legs then tighten it all up. I am still working on the rear tire, I got the old one off but it required the use of a heat gun. The new tire is tight and its on about 3/4 of the way around. It will also require the heat gun as the new tire is tight as well, can't seem to catch a break as far as tires are concerned!

Hoping to get the rear wheel installed tomorrow along with the rear brake, that way I can wheel it around in the garage.

Attachments:

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 19 May 2024 15:12 #899333

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2062
Coming together nicely 

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 23 May 2024 11:05 #899580

• Injected
  • User
I have had a hell of a time trying to get a new back tire ready to go on this build.
I got the new tire on but I pinched the tube getting it on there, didn't hold air. I took that tube out and it did have a small hole in it. I then put a good used tube in there and it looked like success until the next day, flat again! Never had that happen on a motorcycle tire install.

I am not 100% sure but I think I may have damaged the bead getting it on there (exposed wire?) Need to investigate further to find out.
Two flats in succession is not a good sign!

May call my local dealer and see what they can do for me (order new tire and get them to install?)

Now I am not sure if I can have this ready for my June 14th weekend trip, it seems way too rushed for a new unknown build. Funny how this is not the first time this has happened My backup plan is to ride my other bike which needs minimal work to get ready.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 23 May 2024 11:40 #899581

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2062
Probably best to get some shake down runs on a build like this before you head off for the weekend on it 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Injected

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 23 May 2024 12:02 #899583

• Injected
  • User

Probably best to get some shake down runs on a build like this before you head off for the weekend on it 

Yes, nothing worse than being stranded. The other bike I rode there in 2022 with zero issues, last Summer I did a bunch of improvements on it so it will be even better. Its only a hours ride from home but out in the middle of nowhere.

I can build this engine in a day, its just a top end install.
I would however like more time to clean up the head casting, my backup was to paint it and just slap it on, but with the cost of head gaskets now on the high side getting it done correctly would make a lot more sense. After that there is carb tuning which I am hoping is super close, but again unknown.

This seems to be my pattern as two other times I have had to pull out the back up plan over the last 14 years of attending this meet.

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 24 May 2024 14:07 #899661

• Injected
  • User
I am putting this project on hold till after the swap meet.

I just pulled my 750 out of storage and am now concentrating on getting it running.

I have not tried to get that tire off the rim yet but I did call my local dealer, and no surprise that they did not have a single 18" rear tire in stock. They could order the same tire I put on there but it might be over a month or more to get one as they do not order much from that specific company.

It was worth calling them because I explained the situation and they were more than willing to help.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 24 May 2024 18:13 #899670

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2141
Perhaps it is time to add one of these to your tool kit. I have read nothing but good things about them.

us.rabaconda.com/products/street-bike-tire-changer
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 24 May 2024 20:28 #899674

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 302
Last weekend I replaced the front tire on the Z1 (spoke wheel, shinko 230 tubeless tire with a tube)  I've seen several yootube videos where they used 8 or 9 heavy zip ties to close the tire with the tube inside, beads closed together all the way around, figured why not try it.  Surprisingly it worked using 3 tire spoons and mounting both beads at once.  I did note the use of some bead lube (not soapy water) is key to the success.  May or may not work for you, but worth a try.  Added benefit is the spoons don't touch the tube.
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rolf1976_KZ900

Last edit: by sf4t7.