Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 25 May 2024 00:47 #899683

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 147
I also use zipties and for breaking the bead i use a small jack.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 22 Jun 2024 10:13 #901111

• Injected
  • Injected's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 485
I am getting back on this project soon.

I am looking into the rear tire issue and the finish on the head/barrel/exhaust head pipes that is holding me up on putting the engine together.

I am making arrangements to get my cylinder head, barrel, and head pipes media blasted at a friends place. I am going to try using some crushed walnut shells/glass bead. Not having any luck with chemical strippers, they are all too weak these days. The head and barrel paint is the most stubborn I have ever run across.

My friends media blast setup is a portable outdoor unit mainly used for vehicle frames etc. (not ideal)

I got a quote from a local guy my motor guru suggested, he does chemical strip and vapor/glass bead blasting. The quote he gave me on the barrel/head was $240-$475 depending on paint adherence.

I decided for that price I could buy my own new bench top blast cabinet and bring it to my buddies shop as I don't have a compressor setup big enough to power it for extended lengths of time.

The new cabinet is on route and will need to be assembled/modded. I am going to pimp out the portable cabinet with a bunch of mods I saw on YouTube.

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: info

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 22 Jun 2024 10:33 #901113

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 288
My advice is don’t bother with the crushed walnut shells , I have tried it and it’s not aggressive enough to do what you want. It would be fine for final finish blast.

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 22 Jun 2024 15:37 #901146

• Injected
  • User

My advice is don’t bother with the crushed walnut shells , I have tried it and it’s not aggressive enough to do what you want. It would be fine for final finish blast.

Yes, I was already advised to use the glass bead for paint removal then the walnut shells to dull the finish down.

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) 23 Jun 2024 19:04 #901210

• Vinsky
  • User
  • Thank you received: 78
I tried Klean Strip premium on a kz1000 valve cover that had been powder coated. Actually it worked very well. Under the powder coat was some badly pitted chrome. It is now powder coated again and looks good.
Vinsky
The following user(s) said Thank You: Injected

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) Yesterday 11:43 #901311

• Injected
  • User

I tried Klean Strip premium on a kz1000 valve cover that had been powder coated. Actually it worked very well. Under the powder coat was some badly pitted chrome. It is now powder coated again and looks good.

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't get that brand up here in Canada.

The blast cabinet showed up today and it needs to be assembled just like a BBQ :)

No issue with the assembly as I have mods in mind right off the hop. I have a small 3 gallon shop vac that will be perfect to hook up to this unit so I bought a cyclone dust collector tower. I also want to assemble a better media siphon as it comes with a "tube inside a tube" type. The gun also needs some mods to make it better.

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) Yesterday 15:30 #901328

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 2062

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't get that brand up here in Canada.

The blast cabinet showed up today and it needs to be assembled just like a BBQ :)

No issue with the assembly as I have mods in mind right off the hop. I have a small 3 gallon shop vac that will be perfect to hook up to this unit so I bought a cyclone dust collector tower. I also want to assemble a better media siphon as it comes with a "tube inside a tube" type. The gun also needs some mods to make it better.

"make it better" is a disease Lol

KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant) Yesterday 16:37 #901332

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 328
When you assemble the cabinet use silicone sealant for metal. Full length beads and a circle around every bolt hole to keep the dust inside the cabinet. I also added extra lights inside so I can actually see.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more