Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 14 May 2012 22:05 #522401

• DoubleDub
  • DoubleDub's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Here's the photos of the progress so far.

Attachment DSC07675.JPG not found

Attachment DSC07676.JPG not found

Attachment DSC07677.JPG not found

Attachment DSC07678.JPG not found

Attachment DSC07679.JPG not found

Attachment DSC07680.JPG not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 15 May 2012 06:43 #522475

• T_Dub
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25
Nothing like a fresh coat of paint. It doesn't look bad at all.
1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 15 May 2012 10:15 #522485

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
looking good bud. :)
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 15 May 2012 20:01 #522573

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
They were not painted from the factory.
2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: DoubleDub

Last edit: by Nebr_Rex.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 16 May 2012 02:24 #522635

• boyracer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
For cheaps, what about using a longer spring in front end? Like out of another model/heavier cruiser.
I've also used a stack of coins to add preload to each leg...you can add as many as you can then subtract one or two at a time until it starts to wallow....or stops bouncing!! The preload, combined with some nice new oil would make forks better/good enough to cut laps. I did this on my bike years ago...from memory 12.5 weight fork oil was best. I used to grind the alt/points cases so musn't of been too afraid of the handling.

Can you add air caps in your class? You cannot compress air.
Only change one thing at a time.
G.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 03 Jun 2012 22:06 #526658

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
That's a good thought, but Mark got me a bit paranoid about bottoming out the forks under strong braking. I'm going to spring for the RaceTech springs for the front forks and go through them for any other possible issues. So far everything has been in crap condition...

I just finished putting in new wheel bearings and steering stem bearings from All Balls Racing.

Just got a nice winfall from the new job too, so I can start ordering my motor parts. Another one of those "let's help Jeff @ Z1E pay the bills" days coming up shortly here...

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 03 Jun 2012 22:10 #526660

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor

turboguzzi wrote:

DoubleDub wrote: I have just about everything planned out except the compression modifications as I'll have to do the measurements once everything is back together to determine how much I need to take everything down. At this point I'm planning on having the head and block surfaced to square them up and reduce the clearances to where I want them. I will likely be running on race gas so I'm hoping to get the compression over 11:1 if possible with the stock pistons to start with.

11:1 or even more should be doable with stock pisotns, you'd be looking at removing something like 1.6mm off the block. Pistons are going to stick out quite a bit so you should machine a slight taper, like 15 degs around the edge so they dont touch the head. checking piston to valve clearance is recommended too.

TG - I'd love to have a discussion with you on this.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 03 Jun 2012 22:23 #526661

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299

Attachment plummen_2012-06-03.jpg not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 03 Jun 2012 22:31 #526664

• wireman
  • User

DoubleDub wrote:

turboguzzi wrote:

DoubleDub wrote: I have just about everything planned out except the compression modifications as I'll have to do the measurements once everything is back together to determine how much I need to take everything down. At this point I'm planning on having the head and block surfaced to square them up and reduce the clearances to where I want them. I will likely be running on race gas so I'm hoping to get the compression over 11:1 if possible with the stock pistons to start with.

11:1 or even more should be doable with stock pisotns, you'd be looking at removing something like 1.6mm off the block. Pistons are going to stick out quite a bit so you should machine a slight taper, like 15 degs around the edge so they dont touch the head. checking piston to valve clearance is recommended too.

TG - I'd love to have a discussion with you on this.

Put the cylinder on the motor with pistons installed then see how far down the hole the highest piston is sitting,use that as your referance point for figuring how much to remove.
If you end up with bigger valves and big hairy cams make sure you have plenty of piston/valve clearance.
Im not sure how you guys figure what size of cams to run for road course bikes,I suppose it would have to do with the length of straight aways youll be running and gearing. B)
Just remember it does no good to give up lowerv end coming out of the corners if it takes the whole straight away to get it back. B)
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoubleDub

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 03 Jun 2012 22:45 #526669

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Thanks Jim. Right now I'll be running the smaller gpz750 cams (.320 lift?). Racing cams will have be later on. I have a tough chore as my local track is huge compared to the other tracks I will be running at and will have to balance the straight speed vs corner speed. I'm definitely a novice in all aspects here...this is one giant learning process.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 03 Jun 2012 23:22 #526679

• wireman
  • User
Id suggest trying for a reliable engine combo for right now and concentrate on your chassis setup and learning to get it around track safely for now,as long as you have a good solid bottem end you can always add hp as you grow into it. B)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 08 Jun 2012 23:40 #527749

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
So most of the fun bits came in the mail this week. Fast shipping and good prices from Z1E as usual...